Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Intermittent Fasting discussion thread!!

RR this is awesome read! So by fasted break you mean, this your first meal upon rising. In other words, "a break from your fast"?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using EliteFitness

First meal of the day is the fast breaker. Its usually several hours after rising at around noon. That is what starts the 8 hour feeding window, and at 8 PM you start another 16HR fast. The times can be changed, but keep the 16/8

First meal of the day is the fast breaker. Its usually several hours after rising at around noon. That is what starts the 8 hour feeding window, and at 8 PM you start another 16HR fast. The times can be changed, but keep the 16/8

I did a complete layout over at Evo. I ended answering my own question, but maybe you checkout my layout bro. I read this thread for like a hour last night and pretty fired up about it.

http://www.evolutionary.org/forums/showthread.php?240-Intermittent-Fasting

I think I am going to give IF a shot. My normal diet is already similar to IF in that I have a couple of very small meals in the day, then train, then have the majority of my calories after training. I am upset at myself that for my first cycle I followed the advice of fellow gym rats to eat, eat, eat, and have gained much more fat than I am comfortable carrying and now have to diet it away.

I have a couple of questions for those who follow IF.

1) Cardio - I do daily cardio to keep my heart strong and athletic performance high. I do fasted cardio in the morning but by noon I am starving. Do you do fasted cardio? If so doesn't it make you hungry? I like to eat so my fat loss strategy involves eating at maintenance and getting my deficit from cardio so when I am really motivated (like now) its an hour of cardio per day - half in the morning fasted, and half after weight training on training days, or before supper on non training days.

2) Do you do weight training fasted? I have a hard time working out when hungry so I usually eat a small meal JUST before weight training.

3) Do you use any different strategy when on cycle trying to build muscle?

I'm excited to give this a shot. I think it will suit me and my lifestyle.

I think I am going to give IF a shot. My normal diet is already similar to IF in that I have a couple of very small meals in the day, then train, then have the majority of my calories after training. I am upset at myself that for my first cycle I followed the advice of fellow gym rats to eat, eat, eat, and have gained much more fat than I am comfortable carrying and now have to diet it away.

I have a couple of questions for those who follow IF.

1) Cardio - I do daily cardio to keep my heart strong and athletic performance high. I do fasted cardio in the morning but by noon I am starving. Do you do fasted cardio? If so doesn't it make you hungry? I like to eat so my fat loss strategy involves eating at maintenance and getting my deficit from cardio so when I am really motivated (like now) its an hour of cardio per day - half in the morning fasted, and half after weight training on training days, or before supper on non training days.

2) Do you do weight training fasted? I have a hard time working out when hungry so I usually eat a small meal JUST before weight training.

3) Do you use any different strategy when on cycle trying to build muscle?

I'm excited to give this a shot. I think it will suit me and my lifestyle.

IF is very versatile and can be changed and adapted for personal preference in many ways without sacrificing results. You just have to give it enough time and play around with it a bit to see what works best for you.

In response to your questions:

1) I do all of my cardio fasted, and I don't think it makes me any hungrier at all. After fasting for a week or two your body will really adapt to your eating patterns and you will not get hungry much until a short time before breaking fast. Stimulants work wonders during the fast for appetite suppression also.

2) weight training can be fasted or not. Doesn't really matter. Any thought that your performance will be sacrificed by training fasted is purely psychological and there is plenty of science to support it.

If you do resistance training fasted, just make sure to consume BCAAs before and after training for protein synthesis.

3) everything that works off cycle, works on cycle....just better :)

So no, I don't change anything when going on cycle. I may do a slight shift of my caloric intake higher (maybe 500 cals per day more) at the beginning of the cycle due to the increased androgens and nutrient partitioning but I don't change my training or diet structure at all. I still eat and train for my goal on cycle and off pretty much the same

Thank you for the response. I am excited to give it a shot.

Further detail, if you don't mind - how many calories do you consume on training vs non training days? How many days do you train? Do you always do cardio on non training days? What type of cardio do you do?

If I am understanding you correctly you always eat slightly above maintenance on training days, and slightly below on non training days - while on cycle your training days may be a bit higher - like 500 cals or so.. Is this close?

Thanks for taking the time - personal experience from someone who has done it is invaluable.

Thank you for the response. I am excited to give it a shot.

Further detail, if you don't mind - how many calories do you consume on training vs non training days? How many days do you train? Do you always do cardio on non training days? What type of cardio do you do?

If I am understanding you correctly you always eat slightly above maintenance on training days, and slightly below on non training days - while on cycle your training days may be a bit higher - like 500 cals or so.. Is this close?

Thanks for taking the time - personal experience from someone who has done it is invaluable.

Everyone is different on their caloric needs, but since you asked...

My maintenance cals are around 2700-2800 right now, so

On workout days I will go 3200-3500 most of the time up to about 4k on cycle

On non workout days I will get 2200-2500 and up to maintenance on cycle

For recomp I typically take a +20%/-20% approach and when going for lean mass I will go +30%/-10%. When I'm really looking to concentrate on shredding up I will put my cals at +10%/-30%.

That should give you a general idea

IF is very versatile and can be changed and adapted for personal preference in many ways without sacrificing results. You just have to give it enough time and play around with it a bit to see what works best for you.

In response to your questions:

1) I do all of my cardio fasted, and I don't think it makes me any hungrier at all. After fasting for a week or two your body will really adapt to your eating patterns and you will not get hungry much until a short time before breaking fast. Stimulants work wonders during the fast for appetite suppression also.

2) weight training can be fasted or not. Doesn't really matter. Any thought that your performance will be sacrificed by training fasted is purely psychological and there is plenty of science to support it.

If you do resistance training fasted, just make sure to consume BCAAs before and after training for protein synthesis.

3) everything that works off cycle, works on cycle....just better :)

So no, I don't change anything when going on cycle. I may do a slight shift of my caloric intake higher (maybe 500 cals per day more) at the beginning of the cycle due to the increased androgens and nutrient partitioning but I don't change my training or diet structure at all. I still eat and train for my goal on cycle and off pretty much the same

So do you do cardio one day and weight training the next? I was under the impression you are doing weight training 4 days a week and cardio 3 days a week.

So do you do cardio one day and weight training the next? I was under the impression you are doing weight training 4 days a week and cardio 3 days a week.

I lift 3 days a week doing high intensity, low volume training (DC training) on M,W,F

I do cardio on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday (sometimes this is an off day)

So basically I alternate high and low days for the most part. This works excellent for the carb cycling aspect and glycogen replenishment following my cardio days in which I can deplete pretty good a lot of times. I don't like having days in a row in a defecit or a surplus. The alternating days helps that balance that keeps the LBM coming and the fat loss continuing....albeit a slow process. But that is the glory of "true" recomposition.

Nothing is ever set in stone, and I can change things as I see fit based on results, performance, and what I see in the mirror every day. I may do a couple weeks at the higher calorie points, then switch back to the lower side for a couple weeks once is start noticing myself smoothing out any. Sometimes I will throw in a much higher carb load (refeed) on a workout day if I notice myself getting too depleted to replenish the glycogen stores also. It's all adaptation and adjusting things as I go, but what I illustrated above is what I do 90% of the time ;)

Thanks man. This is really great information and very helpfull. Im still trying to dial in my diet. I usually dont count calories or get immersed in to details. Its mostly how I feel but that's a thought prosess I need to change because their is more science involved then how I feel. I still have a ton to learn but again very informative.

Day 3 of IF so far. Its so very close to what I was already doing when trying to lose fat. I am at about a thousand calorie deficit mostly from cardio and by the time its time to eat am hungry enough to eat my running shoes. I imagine with less of a deficit it will be a bit easier.

I have to admit though, I am not sure I would want to do this while trying to gain maximal lean mass. I think it would just feel wrong to be unfed for such long periods of time. Right or wrong, I always took the feeling of being good and sore as an indication that I should be eating to give my body the nutrition it requires to rebuild and grow.

Top Bottom