Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Instinctive Training

G

Guinness

How many of you deviate from your planned workout if you don't feel like your plan has hit your target muscles hard enough on that day?

For example, say you have a back/bi split like this:

Lat Pulldown (I do a modified pyramid):
1st Set: 12-15 at 60-65%
2nd Set: 10-12 at 70-75%
3rd Set: 6-10 at 80-85%
4th Set: 6-8 at 75-ish %
5th Set (drop): 8-10 at 60-65%

Barbell Curl - Same type of pyramid as above

Cable Row - 3 set, reverse pyramid starting with heaviest set and working down (heaviest usually starts around 80% ORM)

Dumbell Curl - Same type of 3 set reverse pyramid

Hammer Strength Row/Pulldown or T-Bar - 3 sets, again reverse pyramid

Cable Curl or Concentration Curl - Again 3 sets of reverse pyramid

I might stop in the middle somewhere, and do my lower back/abs just to give my bi's/back a chance to recover.

But my question is..If I'm not smoked doing all that, sometimes I'll throw a couple of extra reps of a fourth exercise in there. I'm not sure if I'm over training here, or if maybe I'm just pussing out on my normal scheduled routine, and not working hard enough, therefore not really taxing my muscles.

Anyone else jump to something else when things just don't feel right, to fully blast your muscles?

Some days I can barely make it through my scheduled routine I'm working with.
Other days, Hell yea... I'm feeling cocky and do a few extra sets of something new or old depending on how I feel.
I don't think this is unusual. I find Instinctive training works best for me while still keeping to somewhat of a schedule.
Example, today was Back/Bi, and after I was totally worn out on them, I hit a few sets of Shoulder Presses since they aren't due until friday.

Sometimes your body tells you that you can do more, but it isn't always the best. Some days you have to do today to get strong tomorrow. I think instinctive training is bullshit. You should always have a plan and adjust it accordingly. This shit of going to the gym and freestyling will lead to one thing... a plateau.

i agree with MI about listening to your body
you should know your limitations and if you havent reached them then go for more.:cool:

The_Eviscerator said:
I think instinctive training is bullshit. You should always have a plan and adjust it accordingly. This shit of going to the gym and freestyling will lead to one thing... a plateau.

No one said anything about freestyling Bro,
At least I don't think so.
Yes, you need a planned workout, but nothings wrong with going above that plan occasionally to push past that Plateau you mentioned.
Instinctive training does NOT mean saying puss shit like
"Oh my!, I'm feel tired today so Only 2 set for me"

IMO, what it does mean is what happened to me today.
Chest/Tri are on Monday for me. Today was Cardio/Abs/rest, but I was feeling pretty good and was not too sore from my scheduled hard Chest/bi workout last Monday. So I decided to throw in 3 sets each of Decline DB, Incline D/B and Bench to try and push past a weight plateau I have hit on bench recently...
This is not something I normally do. I keep pretty much to the plan. BUT, when it feels right, go for the ball buster occasionally.

Top Bottom