Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Index Funds as long term growth security

The Red Dragon

How are these as long term investment growth vehicles? I'm thinking of funnelling some cash into this now (I'm 19) (10% of paychecks)...probably going to use the vanguard S&P500...although I'm not quite sure how to create an account or how to get them. Any ideas/insight/outlook on these? I think I'm going to make these my primary securities.

The Red Dragon said:
How are these as long term investment growth vehicles? I'm thinking of funnelling some cash into this now (I'm 19) (10% of paychecks)...probably going to use the vanguard S&P500...although I'm not quite sure how to create an account or how to get them. Any ideas/insight/outlook on these? I think I'm going to make these my primary securities.

How much (roughly) would be 10% of your paycheck, if you dont mind my asking?

if you have no other knowledge of the market or do not plan on learning, this is a terrific investment vehicle imo

Devastation said:
if you have no other knowledge of the market or do not plan on learning, this is a terrific investment vehicle imo

I agree, and I currently have most of my portfolio in bond and 'monthly income' index funds (TD Bank funds, in Canada). Over the past 4 years I've gained roughly 7% per year. Nothing to get super excited about, but a lot better than a 2% GIC....
I'm just now looking to move part of my investments into stocks, probably banks.

Oh sorry about that...I'm in school now, but my program has 4 month work/study cycles. The work cycles vary in income but the past 2 (same location) I've been making 10k in a 4 month period, I only see 7k cuz the rest is deducted in taxes and pension/employment insurance (which I'll probably never see lol). The next 4 months of the study cycle will run me down 6k so I have 1000 surplus. It's nothing so far and probably not even worth it at this stage but I just want an early start, and take advantage of any compounding. I have to check if having funds like these will affect my student loans :s.

Do you get an tax advantaged and potentially matched by employer $s where you work? I think you need to work at a place for ... 6 months and then they become available to you.

Nope, coop student/intern, I'm basically worth shit
I know they're doing that for 401k's but I'm not going to be working for awhile (I'm shooting for med school lol) I'm still in the undergrad stage

Top Bottom