Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

I bought myself a mountain bike

CipherLock said:

Take the two bikes you refer to on test rides, do some drops and see which one is still in one piece and rides in a straight line.

Though prices have huge mark up, these bikes are waaaay better than the shitmart variety.

Yeah, thats what i figured that the wal-mart variety was just for offroading (riding on dirt roads) while the upper levels were for actual offroading, jumping, etc.

nordstrom said:
Honestly, why is that bike any better than a $60 mountain bike at wal-mart? Is it more durable, more shock absorbant? i know it weights 20 lbs less but why would that matter much.

I guess you can sort of apply that with furniture you can buy at wallmart as opposed to going to a real furniture store. which do you think is going to last longer? or clothes. Do you think clothes from wallmart are better quality and look better than say, nordsrom?

I'd say most of the time you get what you pay for. However if you asked me if mountain bikes are overpriced, I'd say yes. I'd also say that I forsee From Zero dying from full blown AIDS.

The Nature Boy said:

I guess you can sort of apply that with furniture you can buy at wallmart as opposed to going to a real furniture store. which do you think is going to last longer? or clothes. Do you think clothes from wallmart are better quality and look better than say, nordsrom?

I'd say most of the time you get what you pay for. However if you asked me if mountain bikes are overpriced, I'd say yes. I'd also say that I forsee From Zero dying from full blown AIDS.

buuuuut, what features does this bike have that makes it worth 25x as much as a wal-mart bike?

I buy my jeans at wal-mart, they are fine.

nordstrom said:
Honestly, why is that bike any better than a $60 mountain bike at wal-mart? Is it more durable, more shock absorbant? i know it weights 20 lbs less but why would that matter much.

Actually I didn't want a real light weight bike. This one is Aluminum (unlike the cheaper bikes) but only weighs 5-10 lbs less than most you find at Walmart.

You can adjust this thing to the point where it acts like a trampoline. The front gas shocks and the rear spring adjustable coil is very valuable. The components on this bike are high-quality Shamino and such, so you don't have to worry about maintenance and costly repairs as much.

Ride a bike like this or similar and then ride a walmart bike and you'll notice the difference. If you just ride flat easy trails on rare occasions then the cheaper bikes are just fine.

The more expensive the bike, the better the materials - so they are stronger, more durable, and lighter.
Advertising is less of a big deal in the bike world than in some industries, but there is that as well in the more expensive bikes.

If you just need a bike to get around on, then there is no reason to get anything expensive.
If you are actually going to beat it up or do anything where your personal safety is at risk based on the structural soundness of the bike - then I would want the more expensive one.

That said, there is less of a difference between a $3000 bike and a $1500 bike than there is between the $60 bike and the $1500 bike.
At the high end, it is usually the same frame as the $1500 bike, but with better components.

nordstrom said:

buuuuut, what features does this bike have that makes it worth 25x as much as a wal-mart bike?

I buy my jeans at wal-mart, they are fine.

You already know the answer here. Same with the stereo equipment you can buy at WalMart vs other places

OMGWTFBBQ said:
You gonna leave the seat on?

Of course not. What fun would that be!?!?!

image_07.gif

nordstrom said:

Actually you can see my old bike in the second pic. The yellow one. It's a $200 bike I got from Walmart a few years back.

I have ridden it about 10 times on flat trails and only twice off-roading. The second time I rode it offroad the crankset broke and the threading striped out completely.

It also weighs like 45 lbs due to it being steel.:(

Top Bottom