Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Hex bar for shoulder press?

Buster Brown

I've been using a barbell for shoulder presses but it feels kind of awkward not being able to bring it directly over my shoulders like with dumbells. Instead, I have to bring it more forward, but making sure not to arch my back.

Would a hex bar hit the delts better, since you can bring it down over your head? My palms would be facing each other instead of the typical over head grip, but I could bring the bar down for a more direct range of motion.

Thanks for any feedback.

I would personally work on your OHP form...the weight should end up directly overhead by the end of the range of motion. Youtube some Mark Rippetoe videos on the OHP...should help.

Thanks for the tips. I checked out the youtube video and I've been doing them wrong. I've been bringing it up directly up and down, but in front of me, so maybe only the front delts have been getting worked out, if at all.

When I do shoulders again I'm going to do it like the videos show.

Once you get used to the movement it will feel much easier, just stick with it. It is a tough lift to progress.

I just tried it like in the videos, fully extending my arms and the bar above my head, just shy of locking out, also with a closer grip, and I really felt it!

Thanks again.

i do not think it is a good idea, because when you loft wight a lot of stresses is fall on your both shoulder and it will not be uniformly distributed. whereas flat bar ensures uniform distribution of load through the shoulders.

Top Bottom