Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

help, trying to understand different types of fats?

110%

ok i got 2 questions:

- what is the difference btwn polyunsaturated fats and monounsaturated fats, which is better?

- is canola oil a good type of fat, how does it compare with flax?

from what I remember"
monounsaturated fats= one molecular bond - found in vegatables and grains
polyunsaturated= two molecular bonds- found in fish and nuts

they both a excelent.

Flax oil is very good for you!

thx for the quick replies man, though i got another question. i c flax is mostly polyunsaturated fat, why is polyunsat fat better than mono, does mono lack some omega fatty acids, or is it something with the bonding and digestion?

both are good for you its good to have both. Because its the oil that is used for the brain and omega isnt found in mono, but mono does contains some efas.

Its been awhile since I've taken Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry, but this is what I remember.

Fats are organic molecules that contain carbon chains. The carbon atoms can be attached to each other either with a single or double bond. They would look something like this.

Single Bonded carbon atoms C-C-C-C
Double bonded carbon atoms C=C

When all the carbons in a fat molecule are bonded to each other with single bonds, we say its a saturated fat. Saturated fats are considered bad, because the way they are structured in 3 dimensional space. They are pretty straight, and pack well together, so they tend to clog arteries.

When there are double bonds present, the fat is considered unsaturated. If there is only one double bond its a mono-unasaturated fat. The double bond usually causes the molecule to be bent at an angle, which makes it difficult for the fat to pack together. Thus, less likely to clog arteries.

If there is more then one double bond, its called a poly-unsaturated fat. These molecules are also usually bent due to the double bonds, and they are also less likely to pack together and clog arteries.

Which is better mono or poly? Well, my professor never really said. I've heard its good to eat both.

Finally, there are trans fatty acids. These are fats that have a double bond, but are not bent at an angle. This can happen when the carbons next to the double bonded carbon pair are on opposite sides. Like saturated fats, these tend to clog arteries.

well i saw extra vigin olive oil has like 10 grams poly fat in it per tbs with like 3 mono, so how does it stack up with flax? the reason i ask ppl always take flax though i saw extra virgin olive oil today and it was only 7$ for 2 liters that is a toooon chaeapre htan flax.

110% flax oil is the best oil. Its the only oil that is worth supplementing because it has the omega. Olive doesn't. Omega is good for health and bodybuilding and your brain function. If you are dieting or bulking with flax oil, I really think it helps out alot.

I hope that answers your question.

I hope the flaxseed worshippers don't see this post but... From what I have heard flaxseed oil is like raw crude oil. Your body if everything is working right will turn it into EPA and DHA which are the things you are REALLY trying to get by using it. I think as far as health benefits getting fish oil capsules to supplement the olive oil you use for cooking might be better. Fish oil already has the pure EPA and DHA in it no need for your body to convert anything. That is where the true health benefits come from. Sam's Club sells fish oil capsules cheap. They are labeled cholesterol free which is a sign that the oil has been purified to make sure there are no bad things in it since it comes from fish.

Top Bottom