Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

health side effects of keto diet???

sd526

although staying in ketosis is a good way to burn body fat and ketones are a relatively good source of energy, from my research i see that a keto diet can have some consequences if youre not careful. im not a doctor (...yet... im a med student) but from what i know, the brain does not utilize ketones well. in fact, some reports from medical studies claim that the brain can only function properly on glycogen, and dependence on ketones can lead to brain tissue deterioration (i can get documentation for anyone who wants it). now, this seems to be contradicted by the countless people who tout the keto diet for its fat loss benefits, and dont ever claim to experience any side effects besides maybe having bad breath. i would like to know if anyone who has been on a keto diet has had any side effects such as memory loss, inability to concentration, and anything else that could be relevant. any input would be greatly appreciated because im compiling data for a report next year.

My friend, I did my thesis writings on Dieting, and I can assure you that you can think very clearly while in 'Ketosis'. I have used "Fat-Fast" ('Ketonic' based diet) which let's you take in
BMR (basal-metabolic-rate)-50%...BMR= weight x 12...So, in fact, while in Fat-Fast 'Ketosis' for 8 weeks straight, I had no memory loss nor did I experience any problems with concentration. You have to remember that supplements are always used when dieting, I used norephedrine HCL (part of Adipokinetix), in conjunction with ephedrine to help concentration and appetite control.

Now, theoretically, it does seem that the Keto diet has side-effect, but you have to understand that after 3 weeks the body becomes such an efficient fat-burning machine that 'Ketones' are becoming a big part of body functions, your blood PH stabilizes, and, in turn, by week 4-5, your brain can, in fact, use 'Ketones' for full brain function.

Mr.X :cool:

I was wondering, exactly how do we know that the ketones produced come from fat and not from protein? Because there are several aminos who would produce ketones. So, how certain is that you burn fat and not muscle on a keto diet? What's the theoretic ratio of fat/muscle loss on a keto diet and other common diets? And does the keto diet mess up the metabolism? Will the return to more normal eating habits result in fast fat gain?

First of all, the body is quite capable of manufacturing all of it's essential glucose from proteins or glycerol (from fatty acid oxidation). The brain is very capable of functioning on mainly ketones. Although epileptic brain function can't be compared to normal, it is still noteworthy that of 13 adolescents placed on a keto diet (90% fat!!) 6 of them experienced significant improvements in brain function and school performance.
As far as using proteins for fuel, well yes that will happen to a certain extent, but it is mainly dietary proteins that are being oxidized. How do we know it's mainly fat and not muscle weight? Well we measure changes in LBM and note that body fat drops significantly and lean mass (other than initial water loss) drops very little. 4:1 is probably a realistic ratio of fatloss to muscle loss on a good keto diet without anabolics. Are there metabolic consequences to this type of diet?? Yes. They include short term decrease in insulin sensitivity and cognition (these both improve after 10-14 days), reduced leptin, T3 and insulin levels, increased cortisol and glucagon etc.... as I hope you are aware. The long term consequences of these metabolic changes? Hard to say. If a previously obese person goes back to eating the foods that previously led to obesity then you will get a very large rebound weight gain. But the answer to that question really has to be served with a caveat. The assumption that a return to 'normal' eating means high GI processed foods with lots of saturated fats, few whole grains or fresh veggies and little exercise is not a good assumption to aim for. If this person cannot control their post-keto diet then they may be better staying on a keto diet long term IMHO.

MS you saved me a lot of writing.... I'll second everything MS said.

Mr.X :cool:

thanks, this information is helpful. these other studies ive read are slightly dated (from the mid to late 90's), so maybe they were wrong.... or maybe they based too much of their conclusions on incorrect assumptions. Either way, I'll have to review them. I'm glad to hear that none of you have experienced any harmful side effects that my earlier post postulated. If its possible (or not too much trouble), sources/supporting research for provided information would be appreciate. thanks again.

I went on a keto diet and I lost about 10lbs in a week, 6-7 net with water adjustment. The diet went well at first but I found myself going insane towards the end. It wreaked havoic on my mood. Most importantly though it caused a massive decrease in my strength which I still have yet to regain after several months.

Top Bottom