Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

hansel, critique my newegg wishlist.....

redsamurai

Banned
I held off on putting one together last year cause I wasn't satisfied with the state of affairs in the GPU field. You had to get all these multi card solutions with multi gpu's on em which drove up heat, noise and watt useage. Now that ATI's got the 5000 series out that's more powerful than anything and runs on less watts and simply costs alot damn less......I think it's time. Well, probably still a couple months away cause I wanna catch the holiday deals and the cypress cards are out of stock.....but this is what I'm looking at right now. What do you think, am I missing anything?

Qty. Image Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price

Update

ABS Diablo ADV Black Finish + Titanium bezel Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail
Model #:Diablo ADV
Item #:N82E16811215013
Return Policy:Standard Return Policy
In Stock

$159.99 -$50.00 Instant $109.99

Update

ASUS P7P55D EVO LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Model #:p7P55D EVO
Item #:N82E16813131407
In Stock

$189.99 $189.99

Update

XFX HD-587A-ZNF9 Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card ... - Retail
Model #:HD-587A-ZNF9
Item #:N82E16814150443
Return Policy:VGA Replacement Only Return Policy
Out Of Stock

ETA: 9/28/2009 8:44:16 AM
Auto-Notify

$379.99 $379.99

Update

APEVIA WARLOCK POWER ATX-WA900W 900W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
Model #:ATX-WA900W
Item #:N82E16817148036
In Stock

$189.99 -$100.00 Instant $89.99

Update

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I5750 - Retail
Model #:BX80605I5750
Item #:N82E16819115215
Return Policy:CPU Replacement Only Return Policy
In Stock

$199.99 $199.99

Update

Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C8D3K2/4GX - Retail
Model #:KHX1600C8D3K2/4GX
Item #:N82E16820104141
Return Policy:Memory Standard Return Policy
In Stock

$103.99 $103.99

Update

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - OEM
Model #:HD753LJ
Item #:N82E16822152100
In Stock

$69.99 $69.99

Update

SAMSUNG DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223L LightScribe Support - OEM
Model #:SH-S223L
Item #:N82E16827151188
In Stock

$32.99 $32.99
Subtotal: $1,176.92

question.. the powersupply seems light.. 650w.. or do the newer motherboards need less power??

what am i missing
Unless you're going nuts with dual graphics cards there isn't much power needed.

Damn that's some good gear for just over a grand. (would be better if you had links to the product pages though to avoid c/p'ing ;) )

Anyways here's my thoughts:

-HDD I'd lean towards either a Seagate Barricuda or Western Digital Caviar, and also having a smaller (and faster if it's in your budget) drive specifically for OS/programs, and use the bigger one for all your storage.

-As far as cases go it's up to you. That one looks good though Coolermaster is thought of highly; I like mine a lot, and on the gaming forums that, Antec and Thermaltake are what most people seem to like a lot.

-PSU, looks good.

-The motherboard, ASUS is great, as well as Gigabyte for having lots of options, high quality, easy oc'ing, etc. I'd personally look for a board with more reviews (tried and true).

-Those Core i5's are only a couple weeks old really, and so I have no experience with them but hell if they're anything like their big brother i7 you're good to go. It's mid range but it'll still kick a Core 2's ass.

-Graphics, ahhhh yes the graphics card. XFX is good, solid stuff and these 5000 series cards are brand new so it's tough to say which will be best. But, historically with the Radeon line, Sapphire has put out the best stuff, and usually implements some good custom cooling designs, such as Vapor X/Toxic. They're the preferred supplier for ATI (not to mention the largest) and I'd personally go with them, but at this point that XFX card is just as good with the warranty especially.

-Kingston Ram, always a good decision though I'd look for a model with more reviews (once again, tried and true stuff). Kingston rarely if ever makes duds though.

-Samsung burner, not much to say other than my Lightscribe has treated me well.

Newegg has excellent customer service, you'll be good to go, I'm jealous of how you'll be able to run Crysis.

Unless you're going nuts with dual graphics cards there isn't much power needed.

Not to mention that single 12v rail at 52 amps is pretty tits.

Ditch the apevia and go with a corsair power supply. Superior in every single way.

Samsung spinpoint F1's are good. They are definitely fast. I generally go with seagate - I think the new 7200.12 series benchmarks faster on sustained read/write.

Any reason why you're not gonna go with the core i7? You're going balls to the wall on the video card, might as well with the processor and mobo too right?

thanks for the reply hans. About the i5, I hear that alot of people who bought the i7's are a little miffed cause the i5's will supposedly virtually match the performance of all but the highest i7's. How about that cypress card eh? For $379 you're getting the baddest card on the block, just barely over the 295......but still, the 295's are still well over $500. It's a one GPU solution that runs on a heck of alot less power thanks to it being 45nm. I balked last year on the build cause I figured I was going to have to have a multi card solution, but all I was reading about power consumption and heat issues made me think twice. I'm flexible on the case. I chose that one just because it's got ridiculous fannage. Check it out on newegg, homeboys got a shitload of fans....and big ones at that. I basically want a case I can run aerodynamic testing in....:biggrin:

As far as price, I'm happy with all the components so I'm going to wait till thanksgiving and see what price drops I can get. The cpu and gpu's probably won't see too much of a drop if at all, but I'm betting I could get some serious deals on cases..memory..powersupplies....perhaps motherboard. The mother boards are the one component I"m really not too sure on. I want to make sure that the board will support crossfire on the 5000's cause I could see myself picking another one up in 6 months or so when they'll most likely be $250 or less. We shall see.

Damn that's some good gear for just over a grand. (would be better if you had links to the product pages though to avoid c/p'ing ;) )

Anyways here's my thoughts:

-HDD I'd lean towards either a Seagate Barricuda or Western Digital Caviar, and also having a smaller (and faster if it's in your budget) drive specifically for OS/programs, and use the bigger one for all your storage.

-As far as cases go it's up to you. That one looks good though Coolermaster is thought of highly; I like mine a lot, and on the gaming forums that, Antec and Thermaltake are what most people seem to like a lot.

-PSU, looks good.

-The motherboard, ASUS is great, as well as Gigabyte for having lots of options, high quality, easy oc'ing, etc. I'd personally look for a board with more reviews (tried and true).

-Those Core i5's are only a couple weeks old really, and so I have no experience with them but hell if they're anything like their big brother i7 you're good to go. It's mid range but it'll still kick a Core 2's ass.

-Graphics, ahhhh yes the graphics card. XFX is good, solid stuff and these 5000 series cards are brand new so it's tough to say which will be best. But, historically with the Radeon line, Sapphire has put out the best stuff, and usually implements some good custom cooling designs, such as Vapor X/Toxic. They're the preferred supplier for ATI (not to mention the largest) and I'd personally go with them, but at this point that XFX card is just as good with the warranty especially.

-Kingston Ram, always a good decision though I'd look for a model with more reviews (once again, tried and true stuff). Kingston rarely if ever makes duds though.

-Samsung burner, not much to say other than my Lightscribe has treated me well.

Newegg has excellent customer service, you'll be good to go, I'm jealous of how you'll be able to run Crysis.

Top Bottom