Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Grip width on barbell rows

mcr

How wide is your grip on barbell rows?

I've read that in order for it to help with bench, you should use the same width grip as you do for bench. My bench grip is wide (index fingers on the rings), and when I do barbell rows this wide, I find my ROM is MUCH less than rows with pinkies on the rings. And rowing wide I don't seem to "feel" as much in my back as rowing narrower (I know that doesn't mean much).

Any help/advice?

i've never heard of the theory you described, but doing your rows that wide doesn't seem very productive. i use a slightly wider than shoulder width grip and this has been working pretty wel for me.

mcr said:
How wide is your grip on barbell rows?

I've read that in order for it to help with bench, you should use the same width grip as you do for bench. My bench grip is wide (index fingers on the rings), and when I do barbell rows this wide, I find my ROM is MUCH less than rows with pinkies on the rings. And rowing wide I don't seem to "feel" as much in my back as rowing narrower (I know that doesn't mean much).

Any help/advice?
if you bench pl style then yes strong lats will help your bench as well as your dead and squat...try to vary your grip i generally use about a shoulder width grip for BB rows...

depends on what kind of barbell rows you are doing.

wide grip bb rows (palms facing towards you) - same width as bench.

close grip bb rows (palms facing away) - just a little wider than shoulder width

Thanks guys, karma for all as always :)

Yes I bench PL style and fail around 2 inches off the chest, which I'm led to believe is a weakness in the lats (this is why I'm particularly keen to strengthen them).

I guess I'll keep rowing wide and see if it helps my bench at all. If so, I'll keep wide, if not I'll go narrower.

I always use double overhand grip on barbell rows.

when i go wide, i feel it in the middle of my back. when i go close, i feel it more in my lats (outer back). I dont know if it is just me or not.

I do about shoulder width and try to keep my elbows as close to my sides as possible and pull straight back. I feel it MUCH more in the lats this way

Reactions: mcr
I dont go too wide otherwise i'll be hitting alot of mid/lower trapezius, which is fine if you have trouble keeping your shoulder blades together. I prefer pullups to get my lats done actually. i like rows but i dont go by feel, i just know as long as they get stronger my bench will too.

drbones2 said:
I do about shoulder width and try to keep my elbows as close to my sides as possible and pull straight back. I feel it MUCH more in the lats this way
What he said.

Top Bottom