Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Glutamine before cardio to preserver muscle or will it stop fat loss?

MrTestosterone said:
What do you mean "high GI carbs for post-workout is a personal preference?" Why would you want low GI carbs post-workout. The idea behind cosuming post-workout carbs after your workout (aside from insulin manipulation) is to replinish lost glycogen and combat cortisol uptake as quickly as possible. Sure, I guess it is a personal preference, but why would anyone opt for low GI over high GI?

Coe

Can you give me a good example of good carbs after a workout? bananas, grapefruit juice, etc....

Thanks alot.
M56M

Dextrose and maltodextrin are ideal for post-workout carbs. I don't recommend going with actual whole foods because mechanical breakdown will retard insulin response. If you do not have access to bulk dextrose, however, (keep an open mind, here) choke down some SweetTarts as your post-workout carb source! I know it sounds crazy, but for some reason, the company that makes SweetTarts decided to use no sucrose or HFCS. They are sweetened entirely with dextrose, and I think they have a trace of maltodextrin. Those are the only macronutrients in them! I know it sounds a bit weird, but you can get about 50g of dextrose for $0.33 (the price of one roll) using the "SweetTart Method."

It is even more economical, still, to order dextrose from proteinfactory.com @ $2.50 for 454g. If you can pull it off (I've done this before), you can order bulk dextrose in 50# bags from confectioner companies. I don't remember the address, but search for "International Molasses." That is the company I used last time. I got 50# of dextrose for less than $30.00. Not bad.

If you are one of those crazy purists, and you abhor using anything in your diet other than organic, whole foods, I guess you could use white rice as a post-workout carb source. It ranks pretty high on the GI and II scales.

Hope this helps.

Coe

Hey bros, I hate to keep this thread from dying it's natural death, but I was reading and I have a question.

I workout late, don't get home until 9pm, 9:30 sometimes. I've read that eating late is not the sin that everyone used to think, but is it ok to eat a bunch of carbs that late, even though it's after my workout?

gymtime said:
Hey bros, I hate to keep this thread from dying it's natural death, but I was reading and I have a question.

I workout late, don't get home until 9pm, 9:30 sometimes. I've read that eating late is not the sin that everyone used to think, but is it ok to eat a bunch of carbs that late, even though it's after my workout?

I have asked that question many times, i work out late also and finish around the same time. The carbs you take in after the workout proceed to the muscle and do not get stored as fat.

I will BUMP...for a more detailed answer...

M56M

Mr T, I don't know about you, but I live in a world of raging insulin resistance and type ii diabetes. My ancestors lived in a world where high GI carbs were virtually non-exsistant. I have sucessfully gained a great deal of muscle (for a female) without intentionally spiking my insulin. In a nutshell I am one of the few people on this board that do not believe in the concept of maximum muscle gain in minimal time at any cost. Yes it is effective, and I know people in a hurry to make gains are going to do it (and all sorts of other things) and not care about the long term consequences. But I would at least like folks to know that it IS a personal preference, and certainly not absolutely required to gain muscle.

I see where it can be a preference as to whether or not someone should consume post-workout carbs or not, but I don't see any situation where low-GI, low-II carbs would be beneficial. These types of carbs will decrease the rate of digestion for proteins (much like fats), meaning that amino acids will not enter the free amino pool for a longer period of time. Even if you are not trying to gain muscle, you need these aminos available for repair ASAP. This is important not only for recovery, but also for proper functioning of your immune system.

To simplify things, I understand why a person would consume NO carbs post-workout, although I, personally, believe everyone should have some. This idea goes well beyond insulin response and involves cortisol suppression, decreased phagocytic activity, and improved assimilation of proteins. However, I cannot come up with a reason why anyone would desire low-GI, low-II carbs as a component of his post-workout feeding.

Coe

Yes, thats' why I immediately have glutamine and aminos post workout when I'm cutting. But Again I emphasize the difference between optimal (obssesive) bodybuilding nutrition and more than adequate (non-obssesive) nutrition. To say you cannot gain muscle without having protein immediately streaming into your bloodstream is bordering on ludicrous. The free amino acid pool is always in flux. Indeed for those of us not taking anabolics we must break down muscle proteins in order to rebuild them. Overall daily/weekly nitrogen balance is a more important determinant of capacity to build LBM, and just because you haven't slammed a whey shake into your gob does not mean that you have no aminos floating around from previous meals. Obviously Mr T and I are from different camps, and that's great because the more quality input, the more choices people see they have, the better.

Of course the original question was about glutamine after workout but before cardio inhibiting fat loss. I believe it will inhibit short term preferential fat burning, but not overall fat loss. And since (if you can absorb enough of it) it will slow post weights catabolic processes I would think it's a pretty good idea to include in a cutting cycle. But of course this is just opinion.

Top Bottom