Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Germany's new chancellor

MattTheSkywalker

Elite Mentor
Platinum
Is the agreement set for Merkel to become chancellor?

Her more conservative platform along with pledges to reduce unemployment (12%) made her a strong favorite, but Schroeder got a lot of support pledging to protect the welfare state.

Interestingly, it seemed like the welfare state destroyed their economy. And many of those programs date all the way back to Hitler. Clearly, the landscape has changed.

Anyone informed about this?

Nothing final yet bro, there is lots of talking. Both sides (CSU/CDU) and SPD have basically totally oposed views (as it was to be expected).

CD/CSU (Merkel Party) say they cannot talk about a coalition unless they first clear the quesion of who will be chancellor... obviously, this means: "We will not discuss anything unless you accept Merkel as Chancellor, that is prerequisite for us to even talk".

SPD (Schroedder's party) says: we first talk about the terms of the coalition, then we talk about who is going to be chancellor.

Deadlock all the way. They talk and talk and talk and nothing final has yet been agreed upon. The scenario of new elections is looming hard

Fast Twitch Fiber said:
You live in Jacksonville FL. Why the fuck do you care about the German Chancellor? Are you afraid the parts supply for BMWs might dry up?

I thought you were banned :confused:

thanks bor. The news I heard was that Merkel would be installed as chancellor if there was agreement on certain key positions/ministers.

I guess that has not been finalized, or, is not even close to final, yet. If parliament cannot convene by a certain date, does that force new elections? What would cause new elections? If no one can build a ruling" coalition?

Fast Twitch Fiber said:
You live in Jacksonville FL. Why the fuck do you care about the German Chancellor? Are you afraid the parts supply for BMWs might dry up?

I have family in Germany, along with a small company we might buy, giving us employees there who would be affected by major governmental shifts.

And I like to be informed about the world.

The Skywalker doesn't drive BMWs. :)

MattTheSkywalker said:
thanks bor. The news I heard was that Merkel would be installed as chancellor if there was agreement on certain key positions/ministers.

I guess that has not been finalized, or, is not even close to final, yet. If parliament cannot convene by a certain date, does that force new elections? What would cause new elections? If no one can build a ruling" coalition?

The President. Bear in mind I'm not German either, so I had to learn this all on the fly.

The Bundestag has 3 opportunities to name a chancellor, if they can't the President can simply jump in and name a chancellor, which in this case would be a minority (since he cannot take sides with any of the 2 big sides)... This would lead to a disaster, since the chancellor would have no Bundestag support at all... that scenario is basically discarded from the getgo.

The alternative, after 3 failed attempts is to call ellections again. Hopefully it will not get to that. Yep, there are tons of meeting schedules, and tons of meetings already done. One side along came with a list of 65 points that need to be addressed before an agreement could take place.

It seems now that Merkel could be be in for the position, in the unlikely event they agree on all the factors, but that is FAR from agreed upon. I think the SPD is simply using the possibility as a bargaining chip to get agreement on other key areas

Thanks bor - will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Fast Twitch Fiber said:

LOL.

All I do know is that my prediction and wishes came to be correct...Daniel Craig has been chosen to be the next James Bond.

I will definately start seeing those movies again.

today was a day of big developments. Merkel has a good chance now, after todays rounds to be the chancellor of a split govt... the so called Grand Coalition, so far the only waya to break the 3 week deadlock. Interesting, they split the ministries.

Imagine how surreal this situation is, you have some 16 ministries, Merkel party get 8, Schroedder's get 8 (so far, foreign, finance, labor, justice, health, transport, environment and development) plus MErkel gets "limited" power.

I don't know, but this seem to me like "OK, we give you the chancellor, but we keep the real power behind" note above: Finance, Justice, Health, Foreign?

They are planning on closing talks on Nov 12th.

Top Bottom