Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Front Squats Choke Me

vin01

When I front squat, the way I have it racked (with a clean grip, not arms crossed), the bar is uncomfortably jammed up against my Adam's Apple.

Does this happen to anybody else? I believe my form is good... but if this doesn't happen to anybody else I might need to evaluate my form.

It doesn't bother enough to make me stop front squatting, thanksfully.

PS I don't have a abnormally large Adam's Apple.

Might be a matter of grip strength. I had a hard time getting a comfortable placement of the bar when I started doing them also. I did a practice run with an empty bar, then used straps for several weeks until I was sure I could hold the bar in place for the entire set.(No need to say it, but no one cared anyway, least of all myself). As they say, the best way to get good at an exercise is to do it, and after a while holding the bar correctly just became natural.I'm of the opinion that forearm strength has something to do with getting a comfortable bar placement also, but this is just my own analysis.

You know, if you have hand flexibility, you can try using your hands to hold the bar underneath in a psuedo-catch grip. I am sure there is a picture somewhere on the net to show you what I mean. As far as your grip, put the bar on the top of the delts, by your upper pec line, but not slammed against it.

You must spread some Karma around before giving it to fortunatesun again.

Funny thing is.. and it just so happens to conincide with the recent thread about flexibility and wrists.. my wrists have gotten "thicker" since I have been cleaning, front squatting, and OHPing.

I'd like to believe I am semi-flexible, but I know my forearms lack in the strength department.

I think I am going to get the Trainer and #1 gripper from COC..

Vin01, you will get used to it. Try "bracing" your neck if possible also, tighten up. I'm not great at them, but at least they aren't suffocating anymore.

the bar should be closer to the clavical then to the adams apple. kinda resting on your front delts.

I use the crossed grip and with a small bar...I can't breathe too well. It mostly increases my blood pressure and gives me a really red face though...lol.

Not a big deal...I've been breathing all week and I don't need much brain activity anyway ;)

I usually never go higher than 5's on front squats due to the fact I have trouble breathing. In fact I usually stick with 3's. They are a lovely exercise though -- great quad development without growing a second ass or hurting my lower back.

Another reason to go a little lower on the reps is the static contraction on the spinal erectors and upper back tend to give out before the legs. If this happens, it could cause a rounding of the lower back and a possible injury. I also keep my front squat to lower reps.

Top Bottom