Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

FIBER On Ketogenic Diet.. Should It Count As Regular Carbs?

Take a fiber sup on a CKD or you will only shit on your carb up, and I mean SHIT!! Taking zero fiber is VERY unhealthy.

I am wondering whether or not grams of fiber in food for example count as grams of fiber? For example if I eat cashews that contain 8g of carbs but 6g of those carbs are grams of fiber is the carb count for that 8g or 2g?

Straight from a CKD FAQ:

Does Fiber count as carbs?
A: The short answer is no. If a food has 10 grams of carbs listed and indicates 8 gms. of fiber, the carb count is really only 2 grams. Again, the tolerance for the carbs associated with the foods that contain fiber is an individual thing.[Homer Culley]

No fiber is not counted towards carb energy. Depending on how viscuous and fermentable the type of fiber igested, it will be taken up by either the lower or upper gastrointestinal tracts where it is used as a laxative, or it will ferment and be used as energy in the form of short chain fatty acids. If the fiber is fermented, it no longer will contribute to your shit bulk. Therefore, finding nonfermenting fibers will help with your bowel and constipation problems. This will also depend on how much fiber is used in the diet, how much colonic microflora is present, antiobiotics that may be taken, and other components of your diet that are consumed, etc.... Currently used, the energy contribution from dietary fiber has an assigned value of 1.44 kcal/g for nonstarch polysaccharides and 2.01 kcal/g for resistant starch.

MR. BMJ

soluable fiber counts, unsoluable fiber does not, since you never know how much of the fiber is soluable, it's the safest to count it all. atkins says that to, they call all countable carbs, incl. the ones coming from soluable fiber "countable carbs".

From reading the Atkins book and speaking to people who help with the Atkins diet, "dietery fiber" should be subtracted out from the total number of carbs. The body does not process dietery fiber. Lettuce has carbs but its dietery fiber. Havent you noticed when you go to the bathroom you see the lettuce in the toilet? Its kinda like corn!

Big Al

You've asked a question but are not listening to the answers.
Please don't take this as any sort of criticism but many of the questions you've asked previously, including this one are dealt with extensively in FAQ's, etc on the subject of CKD's. Asking legitimate questions is not a bad thing, but when people have pointed out a source which will effectively answer almost any question you have it is much simpler for you and other board members if you actually read the information. Many have posted this address before, but I'll post it one more time. Read it.

http://www.solid.net/lowcarb

Top Bottom