Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

experienced 5x5 lifters i need help

Shadowness

I did madcows 5x5 intermediate for about 3 months now and i have gained 50-60 lbs of strength on all my core lifts and have increased my bodyweight from 225-245 so i am extremely happy but my lifts have stalled and i even tried to reset it and it stalled at the same weight again. Should i change rows to power cleans or maybe substitute front squats on wednesdays?

My current workout is the 5x5 increasing sets
mon-squat,bench,row
wed-squat,incline,dead
fri-squat,bench,row

I really think you should. If you read through the stickys posted about the 5x5, they question of whether or not you should change or add to the program is brought up. It recommends some minor changes you can make that might make a big diffrence. Just browse throught he begginner, and intermediate programs listed in the training vault to get an idea of what changes are recommeded.

Personally I like the idea of subbing powecleans for rows. I also happend to like changing the deads up a bit and making it a lighter, more explosive movement (almost like a clean, only its an explosive deadlift with a bit of shrug/toe raise at the end).

Whatever you decide on, have fun, and good luck.

post specifics lets see what the last few months look like. how far did you reset everything, percentage wise? post your training log and diet if you want more help. maybe you didnt deload enough fatigue,.

Shadowness said:
there is no deloading in the intermediate i thought it was only on the advanced program?

There is deloading in the intermediate version. Just back all of your lifts up 3 or 4 weeks and start working your way back up.

Shadowness said:
there is no deloading in the intermediate i thought it was only on the advanced program?

you said your lifts stalled out, and that you reset the weights. that at least is a partial deload. but it sounds like maybe you should have thrown in a week or so of speed work before reseting the weights. also maybe you could have reset the weight even more.

i usually run a rep range as far as it will take me. then deload
for a week or so then slightly reset and re-ramp. ill take that as far as it goes, then start dropping reps. and through the course of several weeks ill work to max singles before starting all over.]

edit: whats up with you posting your journal, so we can see specifically whats going on?

Shadowness said:
I did madcows 5x5 intermediate for about 3 months now and i have gained 50-60 lbs of strength on all my core lifts and have increased my bodyweight from 225-245 so i am extremely happy but my lifts have stalled and i even tried to reset it and it stalled at the same weight again. Should i change rows to power cleans or maybe substitute front squats on wednesdays?

My current workout is the 5x5 increasing sets
mon-squat,bench,row
wed-squat,incline,dead
fri-squat,bench,row

One thing that really helped me break through barriers on on squats was box squats. It's kind of a pain, yeah, but the results were worth it to me.

Top Bottom