Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Eating to much fat on a CKD...

M56M

I am not very experienced with a CKD diet, but to my understanding is, if you don't eat fat you can't bun fat. But how much is "too much"...

mayonaise-- for example has always been a big "no no" in my book. I can't seem to understand how much is too much fat. If i eat to much fat then obviously my body is not going to burn it's existing fat for energy.(is this correct)

Does flaxseed oil turn into fat if not used for energy?

My stats are 195lbs(+ or - a few pounds), 5'8'', 9-11BF%.

How should i approach my fat intake?

Thank you very much.
M56M

They only way you'll eat too much fat is if you eat too many calories. No matter how much fat you eat, if you are below your metabolic rate then your body will burn fat for energy. It's never going to story fat if you are in a calorie deficit.. You need to make sure you are eating a lot of fat, because if your diet has to much protein, then it can convert to glucose, and keep you out of ketosis. You think of high fat foods like mayo as a big 'no no' because that's what you've been told. And on a balanced or high carb diet, that's true. Fat is very calorie dense, and if you are eating it and carbs, then it's easy to get above your maint calories. In the absence of carbs (or a very high % of calories coming from protein) your body has to burn fat for energy. It will burn your dietary fat first, and then begin to burn your fat stores. You can't eat too much fat when on a ketogenic diet as long as you keep your calories from getting too high. I hope this helps.

and as for your question about flax... it will
never be stored... flax oil can not be stored by
the body... other fats in your body will bond to
the flax oil and actually move out of your body
more easily

Onenameleft said:
They only way you'll eat too much fat is if you eat too many calories. No matter how much fat you eat, if you are below your metabolic rate then your body will burn fat for energy. It's never going to story fat if you are in a calorie deficit.. You need to make sure you are eating a lot of fat, because if your diet has to much protein, then it can convert to glucose, and keep you out of ketosis. You think of high fat foods like mayo as a big 'no no' because that's what you've been told. And on a balanced or high carb diet, that's true. Fat is very calorie dense, and if you are eating it and carbs, then it's easy to get above your maint calories. In the absence of carbs (or a very high % of calories coming from protein) your body has to burn fat for energy. It will burn your dietary fat first, and then begin to burn your fat stores. You can't eat too much fat when on a ketogenic diet as long as you keep your calories from getting too high. I hope this helps.

How much is too much of protein

Thanks alot guys

Thats helps very much, thank you, basically keeping calories under what my body burns will allow me to burn existing fat.

Considering my wieght, what is a good break down of fat/protein on my 6 days of ketosis.(i carb up on Sun.)

*trying to keep as much Muscle as possible, obviously.

cozmokramer said:
and as for your question about flax... it will
never be stored... flax oil can not be stored by
the body... other fats in your body will bond to
the flax oil and actually move out of your body
more easily

So basically the more flaxseed oil i can take in the better? 2-3 tbsp/day good? or more?

Would eating a good amount of flaxseed and other EFAs allow me to burn fat effeciently? For example if i made them my only source of fat(obviously it would take a large amount of them) and cut out mayonaise, etc.

Thanks again.
M56M

Last edited:
IGoRyEk69

To answer your question, I guess I should have worded that as too high a percentage of your calories coming from protein. Protein is converted to glucose at about 40% efficiency I believe. That number may not be exact, so someone correct me if I'm off. Your brain and liver require some glucose to function, so first they will take theirs, then the rest is glucose just as if it were consumed as carbs. I believe the number that the brain and liver (and heart??) use is around 50-60g. So if we assume on the low side 50g is 40% of 125g. So in theory, if you eat more than 125g of protein on a ketogenic diet you run the risk of some glucose being in the blood to be used as energy. That's somewhat deceiving though. The reason you want to eat such a high % of your calories from fat especially at first, is to get your body burning fat for calories. Whether it's dietary or stored fat, the mechanism is the same. If your body is in fat burning mode, it will prefer to burn fat, if it's in glucose burning mode, it will prefer to burn glucose. So we restrict carbs to limit glucose, and give it lots of fat to burn, and then make sure overall calories are low enough, and your body burns dietary fat, and then stored fat as long as it is avaliable. You still have to be a calorie deficit. If you were to consume all of your calories from protien, though, you'd never reach ketosis.

Top Bottom