Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Doing proper Close Grip Bench?

Goodfellow

I like to start off with my the outside of my thumbs are touching the smooth part. Some would say this is a bit wide.... Then I go with both my hands in the smooth. Which way is correct?

My feeling is that your hands should be close enough that when the bar comes down your wrists should touch the outer portion of your pec, for me that puts my hands about 8-10" apart. Too close and i cant get deep enough, but too wide brings too much of your chest into the movement.

For most people the form issue isn't where to place the hands. Arms should be about shoulder with apart or closer if you'd like. Pull back your shoulder blades and hold a tight arch. Then lower the bar to the top of your stomach/bottom of chest. During this time your elbows should be tucked snuggly against your sides and NOT FLARING. When you press, you DO NOT press it back towards your head but in a straight line. The bar should no move from above your stomach. Lots of people think they're pressing in a straight line but I'd be willing to bet if you taped yourself you'd find the opposite.

SORRY, NO ARCH IN MY BACK.

I always bench with a flat back and have never had a problem with my form or strength.

cwick0 said:
SORRY, NO ARCH IN MY BACK.

I always bench with a flat back and have never had a problem with my form or strength.

That's cool but I'd rather have a stronger base of support for my lifts??

I used an 8 inch grip today and did 315 for 5x5. My triceps were def pumped to the max. Just in case anyone is curious about my tri routine it goes as follows:

Close grip bench 315 5x5
Weighted dips 100lbs+BW 3x12
French press 120x12
dips with no weight superseted with pressdowns.

Karma is always welcome!

crew9 said:
That's cool but I'd rather have a stronger base of support for my lifts??

Great, but i just cant stand the powerlifting bench style. I never use a leg drive or an arch and can put up an incredible amount of weight. For me, it is probably all genetics, i have a huge frame and a massive barrel shaped chest.

Top Bottom