Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Diet to build muscle

rich_89

Greetings all,

My name is Richard.

Weight: 11st 2 lb (so 156 lb) or (70.7 kg)
Height: 5'8"

I am looking for guidance on my diet.

My goals are to keep my trim body, but bulk up my arms and upper body. (So targeting my Biceps, Triceps, Deltoids, and Pectorals). I have quite a decent body, with visible abdominals, but my arms are small in comparison to the rest of my body, and my pectorals are not really visible. I wish to remedy this.

My diet is generally good, at the moment i'm currently taking in about 2000 good calories a day, consisting of a mix of proteins and carbohydrates, but minimal fats. I use Whey Protein supplements and eat Protein meal replacement bars, but i'm convinced these have minimal if any benefits.

I'm looking for a diet that will help me build up my arms and upper body, but not pile on fat.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rich, you can't just work your upper body and neglect your bottom half. If you want to bulk, you need to get in waaaayyyy more cals. 3500-4000 a day. If you really wan't to bulk and stay trim you should do a clean bulk, even then you will gain some bf. About your body parts, what does your training look like as of now? Have you started weight training yet?

Forgive my ignorance, what's a 'clean bulk'?

Presently i weight train 3 times a week minimum. I alternate my sessions, so i do chest and arms one day, then back, shoulders and abs another day, then keep alternating them. But i also do a lot of cardio work, i usually run about 20 miles a week.

I've been told this is a good way to train as it attacks different muscle groups at different times.

Well, when some people bulk they just eat anything in sight to reach their calorie requirement. For example a whole pizza pie or tons of deep fried chicken, white rice, white bread etc. A clean bulk would consist of brown rice, wheat bread etc., veggies, non breaded chicken. Clean foods; this helps minimize fat gains.

Again, no legs? You have to get some legs in. If you want to bulk to can only work a body part once a week as intensely as you can withstand. Give it a weeks worth recovery/growth time and you should see results.

Also if you truly want to bulk you're gonna have to cut the cardio. HIIT(high intesity interval training) cardio would be your best bet. If you're a LISS (low intensity steady state) cardio guy then a 20 minute jog would suffice. Anymore than that would be catabolic.

So to clarify, anything more than 20 minutes running will be catabolic, thus my muscles will be broken down? I was under the impression that this would be countered by the supplements i take (protein meal replacement bars, whey protein shakes), and then this would result in fat being burnt.

With regards to the diet, that shouldn't be a problem. I only eat brown rice, cous cous, wholemeal bread, pasta, fresh meat (steaks and chicken), vegetables and salads. I also eat things such as cottage cheese. I do occasionally indulge in some sweets, but who doesn't if they are honest.

So how would you recommend i train then.

Go to the gym three times a week and do one muscle group, per week. So:

Week 1: Tue, Thu, Sat - Triceps
Week 2: Mon, Wed Fri - Biceps
Week 3: Tue, Thu, Sat - Pectorals . . . .and so on and so forth

And should i go for higher weight less reps?

So to clarify, anything more than 20 minutes running will be catabolic, thus my muscles will be broken down? I was under the impression that this would be countered by the supplements i take (protein meal replacement bars, whey protein shakes), and then this would result in fat being burnt.

With regards to the diet, that shouldn't be a problem. I only eat brown rice, cous cous, wholemeal bread, pasta, fresh meat (steaks and chicken), vegetables and salads. I also eat things such as cottage cheese. I do occasionally indulge in some sweets, but who doesn't if they are honest.

So how would you recommend i train then.

Go to the gym three times a week and do one muscle group, per week. So:

Week 1: Tue, Thu, Sat - Triceps
Week 2: Mon, Wed Fri - Biceps
Week 3: Tue, Thu, Sat - Pectorals . . . .and so on and so forth

And should i go for higher weight less reps?

You could get away with 30 minutes. If you want to maximize fat lost, run in the AM on an empty stomach. Protein aids in the repair/recovery of muscle fibers as well as builds muscle. If you run for long periods of time your body will realease cortisol and thats when glyconeogenesis begins, breaking down muscle Protein.

Make the pasta brown pasta.

3 day split, play around with it and see what works for you. My routine looks like this.

Monday: Chest/Bi's
Wednesday: Legs
Friday: Back/Tris/Delts

Running on days off and one day off with no workout at all.

I will take your advice on board, implement it, and then report back with any news, be it good or bad.

Thank you sir, you have been very helpful.

I will take your advice on board, implement it, and then report back with any news, be it good or bad.

Thank you sir, you have been very helpful.

No prob. I forgot to answer one question. You wan't to go less reps and sets heaviest weight possible while keeping good form. I do 3 x 8's with highest weight possible. But that's just me.

I will do the same then. So i'll choose the highest weight possible where i can do 8 reps with good form, and then do 3 sets.

One more question :) Assuming i increase my calories, add legs in there and do good workouts, how soon should i expect noticeable results?

I will do the same then. So i'll choose the highest weight possible where i can do 8 reps with good form, and then do 3 sets.

One more question :) Assuming i increase my calories, add legs in there and do good workouts, how soon should i expect noticeable results?

Have you ever lifted before? All the info I gave you was based on the assumption that you've been lifting for a while.

Either way, you'll see results. Especially in the beginning you should see beginners gains. By week 2 - 3 you should feel like a new man :). Make sure you're getting enough protein, post workout carbs are a must and a protein shake w/ milk a bit before bed to prevent overnight catabolism. Keep your cals high and Just keep at it.

Top Bottom