Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Deadlifts!

Androbrah

So I used to be able to pull around 375lbs in deadlifts for a 1 rep max, Not the best i know, But I seem to be maintaining everything else if not getting stronger but my deadlift seems to be dropping every week ( mainly due to poor grip ).

Any ideas as to why this may be, also how to improve my grip?

When i first started deads i used over hand grip and straps and gloves lol. Then i used Over / Under grip without straps or anything for months and it flew up. Now all of a sudden my grip is just terrible!

My personal opinion is if you cant grip it you cant lift it so using straps is cheating and you should improve your grip. The exception would be if your working withing the range of your grip but doing specialty exercises to focus other bodyparts like RDL's with a slow tempo or snatch grip deadlifts to work your pull off the floor.

That being said some exercises that are great for the grip are farmer carry, pinch plates, dumbells, kettlebells or even barbells. Hand over hand rope sled pulls.

I love using a hook grip. At first it felt weird but got to really like it. I am able to pull 365 for reps easy. I never liked the overhand / underhand grip.

On a plus side if you are into or planning to get into olympic lifting the practice on the hook grip will help.

I love using a hook grip. At first it felt weird but got to really like it. I am able to pull 365 for reps easy. I never liked the overhand / underhand grip.

On a plus side if you are into or planning to get into olympic lifting the practice on the hook grip will help.

Thats an option for some but after I lost feeling in my thumbs for over a week decided that wasnt a wise grip for me :)

Top Bottom