Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

continue with school or stay at union job?

the.gladiator1987

Platinum
Sup guys, its been a while cus I've been super busy with work, school and kids. Everything is good in life , kids are healthy, and my relationship is better but I'm at a crossroads

I just got accepted to Sac State and I want to pursue being a Physical Therapist. I need 62 units until I can apply for DPT which is a 3 year program. Once I finish that I'll be a licensed physical therapist.

Or I can stay at my union job. Its a warehouse job for a grocery store all throughout California.WE max out at 23/hr, and if you work harder you can make up to 28/hr. Its union so we have pension, and we also have awesome health benefits that are free except for $10 copays.

The problem is if I want to continue with school I will need to quit my job because my work schedule will not allow me to go to school since I am on call. I still get 40+ hours but the date aren't set. But if I quit I'll have to find part time job at nights to help pay bills. But in the end I'll make more as a PT and I'd love what I do. I feel this current job is holding me back from school , but I'm also getting 20/hr with benefits, and I'll get a dollar raise 3 more times within 2 years.

I just feel like I'm smart enough to not be working at a warehouse job. Is it smart to live off school loans though?

Hope everyone's doing good

The idea of going back to school is good. The fact that you're looking for a medical professional degree is even better.

Here are my thoughts on PT:

1) Demographics favor your profession. We have an aging population that is increasingly more active and expects to be active longer.

2) BarryCare gives everybody insurance, so I'd expect independent contractors popping up everywhere trying to get some gubment cheese. Imagine a young, strapping young PT giving a little old lady some attention in the name of "therapy". She'll wave that insurance card in everyone's face util BarryCare gives her more visits.

Here's what's hurting you:

1) They may change the rules whereby doctors can no longer own PT. It is estimated that 50% of all PT is ordered by and provided by the same physician's taxpayer ID number. If they change those rules, the PT industry will implode for a few years.

2) They are doing bundled payments to physicians and hospitals on a small but growing basis. That means instead of buying all the services for a hip or knee replacement by individual service, they now give the hospital or doctor a lump payment and make them manage the spend. In both instances, the first thing they cut is PT, because that's where the easiest savings can be found.

So specifically for PT... it's going to be a bumpy, risky ride. Good luck!

What happened to your rapping career

Sent from my SCH-I605 using EliteFitness

Good to see you back bro! Can't you live off all the silver you bought and the apricot seed biz on eBay while you go to school?

I would say go back to school man...it might be tough for awhile, but with the union job you aren't really going anywhere...have you thought about taking something other than physical therapist? how much do they make? Anyways man, good to see you back! Glad is a good bro

Top Bottom