Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

coffee's effect on athletic performance

altimus

not sure where i should post this but diet sounded good enough. anyways, about 2 weeks ago, i started drinking a cup of coffee upon waking up. lil caffeine boost and im good to go. my question is what kind of effect does coffee have on athletic performance, in our case, weightlifting. is this cup of coffee having any negative effects on my lifting?

negative.

Only possiblitly I see is that caffine... being a duertic (sp?!) may flush water out. So keep H20 Intake high.... as it should be.

No way, I have read a few study that show that caffiene has postive effects. But many debate this many times, I dont belive there is a correct ansewer.

More than you may want to know on coffee....

According to a study released just a few weeks ago, coffee contains more powerful, heart-healthy, cell-cleansing antioxidants than ANY OTHER food or drink in the American diet.

Some research from Japan, Harvard, and the University of Scranton showing the following:

Average per-day antioxidant consumption from coffee tops 1299 milligrams for the average American, from 1.64 cups of java daily (not nearly enough, if you ask me). The closest other sources were tea at 294 milligrams, and bananas at 76 milligrams. Corn was a distant 5th at 48 milligrams.

People of both sexes who drink coffee every day enjoyed 50% less risk of developing liver cancer than their non-java swilling counterparts. This protective benefit INCREASED the more cups per day of coffee consumed.

Compared to non-coffee drinkers. A 6-cup per day coffee regimen (8-ounce cups) cut the risk of type 2 diabetes in adult men by approximately 50% and in women by 30%.
These kinds of benefits have been documented before, along with coffee's proven effects at clearing and focusing the mind, perking up energy, and relieving stress.

Of course, the AP piece also contained a bunch of ambiguous claptrap from various study-affiliated researchers to the effect that restraint or "moderation" should be used in coffee drinking - and that fruits, vegetables and grains are also great sources of antioxidants.

Yeah, if you feel like strapping on a 5-pound bag of oats or mowing down a dozen ears of corn to get the same antioxidants as drinking a cup or two of java every morning.

Bottom line: coffee and certain other drinks (like tea and red wine) are by far your best sources of antioxidants - blowing away all foods and even surpassing many supplements. Drink some every day and you'll be healthier and happier for it.

hey thanks lifter! a very interesting read and i wont feel so bad when i stop by the quik-trip on the way to work this morning. big thanks to everyone for their responses!!

wow...

I'm going to stop avoiding coffee like the plauge. Figured I got my caffine (200+mg) from supplements... but antioxidents, didn't venture a thought on that. Nice post!!!

A bit more on coffee...well, the caffiene in coffee :)

Central nervous system effects of caffeine and adenosine on fatigue.

Davis JM, Zhao Z, Stock HS, Mehl KA, Buggy J, Hand GA. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2003 Feb;284(2):R399-404.

Department of Exercise Science, Schools of Public Health and Medicine, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC.

Caffeine ingestion can delay fatigue during exercise, but the mechanisms remain elusive. This study was designed to test the hypothesis that blockade of central nervous system (CNS) adenosine receptors may explain the beneficial effect of caffeine on fatigue. Initial experiments were done to confirm an effect of CNS caffeine and/or the adenosine A(1)/A(2) receptor agonist 5'-N-ethylcarboxamidoadenosine (NECA) on spontaneous locomotor activity. Thirty minutes before measurement of spontaneous activity or treadmill running, male rats received caffeine, NECA, caffeine plus NECA, or vehicle during four sessions separated by approximately 1 wk. CNS caffeine and NECA (intracerebroventricular) were associated with increased and decreased spontaneous activity, respectively, but caffeine plus NECA did not block the reduction induced by NECA. CNS caffeine also increased run time to fatigue by 60% and NECA reduced it by 68% vs. vehicle. However, unlike the effects on spontaneous activity, pretreatment with caffeine was effective in blocking the decrease in run time by NECA. No differences were found after peripheral (intraperitoneal) drug administration. Results suggest that caffeine can delay fatigue through CNS mechanisms, at least in part by blocking adenosine receptors.

Caffeine and exercise: metabolism, endurance and performance. Graham TE. Sports Med. 2001;31(11):785-807.

Human Biology and Nutritional Sciences, University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada.

Caffeine is a common substance in the diets of most athletes and it is now appearing in many new products, including energy drinks, sport gels, alcoholic beverages and diet aids. It can be a powerful ergogenic aid at levels that are considerably lower than the acceptable limit of the International Olympic Committee and could be beneficial in training and in competition. Caffeine does not improve maximal oxygen capacity directly, but could permit the athlete to train at a greater power output and/or to train longer. It has also been shown to increase speed and/or power output in simulated race conditions. These effects have been found in activities that last as little as 60 seconds or as long as 2 hours. There is less information about the effects of caffeine on strength; however, recent work suggests no effect on maximal ability, but enhanced endurance or resistance to fatigue. There is no evidence that caffeine ingestion before exercise leads to dehydration, ion imbalance, or any other adverse effects. The ingestion of caffeine as coffee appears to be ineffective compared to doping with pure caffeine. Related compounds such as theophylline are also potent ergogenic aids. Caffeine may act synergistically with other drugs including ephedrine and anti-inflammatory agents. It appears that male and female athletes have similar caffeine pharmacokinetics, i.e., for a given dose of caffeine, the time course and absolute plasma concentrations of caffeine and its metabolites are the same. In addition, exercise or dehydration does not affect caffeine pharmacokinetics. The limited information available suggests that caffeine non-users and users respond similarly and that withdrawal from caffeine may not be important. The mechanism(s) by which caffeine elicits its ergogenic effects are unknown, but the popular theory that it enhances fat oxidation and spares muscle glycogen has very little support and is an incomplete explanation at best. Caffeine may work, in part, by creating a more favourable intracellular ionic environment in active muscle. This could facilitate force production by each motor unit.

A great article on caffiene can be found here

:coffee:

Top Bottom