Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Casein supplements...

BigAndy69

Your Canadian Idol
Platinum
I have been reading the women's board for a while and this is by far the best board on EF. I hope to contribute and learn as much as possible. This is my first thread.

I went to the supp store and a salesman, who was selling Nitro Tech to some moron, did not know what casein was. He looked at me like I was from another planet. I then said caseinate, and I think he thought it was some kind of AS, so he says:" No, we don't have any of this stuff here." Then he tried to sell me some canadian hydroxycut...

Anyway, does anyone know of a casein protein powder? I know the Dorian supps have it, but does anyone know of a another brand that sells casein exclusively?

Thanks.

Never heard of muscle meals... I'm sure I can't afford it, though!:p

This is my situation, I have simply whey by EAS, and Proscore 100 for postworkout. The Proscore is high quality whey that gives you a short anabolic spike.

However, whey is absorbed very quickly, and on its own, on a low carb diet, will turn into glucose, and be used for energy. That's why I want to add some casein to the two shakes I drink in class, to slow down the absorption of the whey.

I thought about adding some cottage cheese, any ideas?

If you can afford EAS products you can afford Muscle Meals. You can check it out at netrition.com. It's made by Muscle Link.
Cottage cheese is a wonderful addition to your diet but don't rely on it too much, you'll get sick of it and there goes a good source!

I'll second on WarLobo's recommendation of Protein Factory. No frills, good quality, and great price. WARNING: Tell Alex if flavor is important to you, otherwise you may find that you get exactly what you ordered, unflavored 100% protein. It doesn't necessarily taste bad, but it doesn't taste like anything you would call yummy either!

And no, I do not work for or profit from anything to do with PF. Errr, not true! I do profit in MUSCLE and LESS FAT, just no monetary or in-kind benefits.

WWW.PROTEINFACTORY.COM

BE

Are you following some sort of ketogenic/CKD diet?

I would not worry so much about the whey inducing gluconeogenesis if fats are present within the meal. The fat will greatly reduce the GI of the protein. Also, you could add some kind of fiber supplement to allow an even lower GI. Whey is very insuligenic, but that does not necessarily mean it will promote gluconeogenesis. Leucine in particular is very insuligenic. I have never been kicked out of ketosis from whey protein. I know I am speaking for myself, and your results may be different, but I would not worry about it too much. I'm not saying that the caseinate shouldn't be added, but it is not totally necessary. The caseinate should lower the GI too since casein tends to curdle into a solid within the stomach. I might take up macros offer too, and try out this casein protein some time, it could come in handy. One more thing, even if whey did induce some sort of gluconeogenesis for some reason (I am not saying it can't happen), remember that some people can still consume ample amounts of carbs and it will not effect ketosis. Thereofre, if your carb ingestion is pretty low, any small amount of gluconeogenesis might be negligible. I'm a firm beleiver that on a CKD, when you are basically on the clock, that you should shoot for as few amount of carbs as possible since you will only be in it for 4-8 days (depending on how many days you extend the diet part).

GOD, I hope my assumption of you on a ketogenic diet is true because if not then whatever I said here will probably not apply. Also, I have found that as long as glucose is presently being used as your primary source of energy, there is no reason why your body would want to break down its protein consumption for gluconeogenesis.

Again, if money is no issue, then the caseinate added will be of benefit for a slower digestion, and it is something I, myself might take into consideration. Thanks!
MR. BMJ

Mr BMJ, I am not following a Keto diet. I did follow a carb rotation type diet until I overdid it and lost some muscle after 9weeks, but my fat intake was never over 50g of fat.

Now I follow a more moderate diet of 1.2-1.3g of carbs and 1.5g of protein. My fat intake is still very low.

I hate using supplements. I think too many people beleive that they are better than regular food. However, I have to eat two of my 7 meals at school and I have no lunch break.

When I have a test, I can't really pop out my tupperware with my knife and fork and eat a couple of chicken breasts and some brown rice. I don't think that whey on its own is a good protein source except post workout, and I don't want to use maltodextrin loaded MPRs.

I just wish their was a commercial supplement available, but I guess It would not sell that great. I couldn't beleive that the sales person had never heard of casein.

What ratio of whey to casein should I use? Maybe 2:1 or 3:1? Any suggestions.

GOTCHA:)

If a little bit of carbs are of no problem (now that I know your not on a keto), then I would just stick to regular milk for my casein and then add my whey to it. Just make sure it stays cold during school. At least this is what I do, that is except for my post workout meal which is all whey.

I hear ya on the tupperware situation. I find that using liquid meals and bars really help in this situation...it may be tough for you to find an alternative for this particular situation even if you don't like them.
MR. BMJ

Top Bottom