Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Cardio precontest: Yea or Nay??

New Dude

About a year ago I prepared for a physique show and was doing cardio 3-4 times per week.... I was also on a calorie deficient diet. I lost muscle, got pissed and decided not to do the show. I probably should have eaten more or done less cardio. Either way, I got stringy looking and didn't like it.

Now... Fast forward...I'm ten pounds heavier than last year same time...and 8 weeks out and already slightly leaner.

Current bf 8 percent
Test e 300mg
In another 2 weeks going to start 80 mg anavar.
Diet is slightly below maintenance.

My question is a general one.... Can I get to contest shape with minimal or no cardio? Can I accomplish my goal with diet alone? I have trained very hard for months and feel I can nail it without cardio.... Can I get by without it?

Thanks for responses... They are appreciated...

It's very possible. Weight loss/gain is based on calories in compared to calories out. You will need a very strict diet to get by without cardio down in those single digits but it is possible. Some of the other more experienced guys will probably chime in with some of thier preferred methods.

No one will argue that cardio burns more calories, but eating more calories ( mostly in additional carbs) to preserve muscle -- just so you can allow yourself to do cardio vs eating less and doing little to no cardio might give one additional control on holding onto muscle. Because, you don't really know if your losing muscle until AFTER its gone. And, with a calorie deficient precontest diet, your not going to be able to get the muscle back until after your show which is when you will increase calories again. Maybe I'm totally off base and someone will correct me. Keep in mind that I'm already at 8 percent and want to get to 5 1/2 percent or so. And have exactly 8 weeks until show. Weight this morning on empty is 185 pounds.

Cardio is a must in contest prep, just hit the stair mill for cardio though.

Also if I were you I wouldn't have used test e I would have used test p.

Cardio is not a must at all. You can get into contest shape without ever touching a treadmill. Your diet has to be spot on to a T though, to make it work or you will end up coming up short. I like getting my defecit from a little diet and a little cardio, but if a bigger defecit on your diet is OK with you then go for it

Thank you.

Was going to stop the test e two weeks out and up the adex to Ed instead of eod.... I almost pass out everytime I pin. Twice a week is tough enough...I think I will get better with time.

I really don't mind doing cardio, but I have seen guys do 2x a day and others hardly any. It's a confusing issue to me.

I think I will start some light fasted cardio in the mornings once or twice a week once I start the var which will be at six weeks out. The var should help me hold onto muscle than just the test alone.

Rick, I read your thread the other day on your first physique comp. You probably trained harder and had more lean muscle than any other physique guy on that stage. I have seen guys with 15 inch arms place. There is definitely some subjectivity within the judging circles on physique. I just hope I can come in and compete as its a div 4 show. pretty excited to give it a shot.

Thank you.

Was going to stop the test e two weeks out and up the adex to Ed instead of eod.... I almost pass out everytime I pin. Twice a week is tough enough...I think I will get better with time.

I really don't mind doing cardio, but I have seen guys do 2x a day and others hardly any. It's a confusing issue to me.

I think I will start some light fasted cardio in the mornings once or twice a week once I start the var which will be at six weeks out. The var should help me hold onto muscle than just the test alone.

Rick, I read your thread the other day on your first physique comp. You probably trained harder and had more lean muscle than any other physique guy on that stage. I have seen guys with 15 inch arms place. There is definitely some subjectivity within the judging circles on physique. I just hope I can come in and compete as its a div 4 show. pretty excited to give it a shot.

Thanks a lot bro! I truly appreciate it. I had a lot of fun, and it was a great experience. Competing in physique is an excellent way to get a feel for the stage and contest prep in general. I found out that physique wasnt really for me, but I'm glad I did it for the learning experience. Mass is not important at all really for physique. What the judges seem to like most is a really small tit waist with great abs and also having a "model" face with a great smile. None of those areas are strong points for me. At almost 40, my skin isn't as tight as it was when I was in my 20s and I just can't compete with the guys in their 20s in that department. I don't exactly have the model face either. I have my eyes set on bodybuilding now, and I already have huge plans in motion to,hit the stage big and shredded in 2014 :)

Good luck on the show bro. I'm sure you will have a ton of fun and lean a lot. If I can help you out in any way, feel free to send me a PM anytime!

Top Bottom