Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Cardio breakthrough

I agree - good post. Is that NFPT? They seem to have some interesting articles on their site.

Anyway, I'm aware rationally that lower level activity will burn proportionally more fat, but the closer I get to my contest the less easy it is to feel that I'm working hard enough. Luckily, lately my body doesn't have any problems telling me it doesn't feel like pushing any harder.

On low level activity, I read a very interesting article about pre-contest prep that said if you have the time, do tons of it - just keep busy doing stuff, and you'll burn off that extra fat. The same article said, ha ha, to try and stay awake a lot in the last few days, too, since you burn more energy in a wakeful state than when sleeping.

It's interesting that most people here said 20-30 mins, and the article said the time into second wind depends on cardiovascular fitness. Wow, I thought I was fit - I mean, I don't have any problems riding 100 km or so - even did 180 one day (last year). I guess I'm not as fit as I thought.

Spatts, I have to confess I don't like sprints AT ALL. I think my body type has something to do with this - just too tall. I don't have any problems with endurance - can go on for ever, just thinking as I go, don't get bored if I'm on my bike.

We also have to remember that we don't all fit the 220-age formula. I have run at 198bpm for 40 mins at the age of 23 as part of a 10km road race with no problems at all.

We are all different and the 220-age formula should only be a guide. Get properly tested for your max heart rate at your local gym.

Hello Dingo - long time no see. How are things?

The 220 formula - yeah, I know. I go on perceived exertion a lot, too. I know that's not exactly accurate, either (and seems to vary particularly widely depending on the number of carbs in my system), but my "local gyms" are all a joke. Let's just say ... no fitness test unless I go on an extended search across the city and put work into lots of new "relationships" along the way. I don't have the energy for that.

My heart rate monitor is supposed to be able to help me perform a fitness test - I may do that someday ...

I DO know, though, that there is NO WAY I could stay at 198 bpm for more than a few seconds, LOL! How on earth did you do that??? (BTW, I'm gonna test this ...)

spatterson said:
Good post!

It's kind of a summary of the 30+30~60 thread. I think the 30/30 thread makes an interesting point about which types of activities tend to KEEP the metabolism elevated in a fat burning state longer. I'm going to butcher this, but the HIIT training was reported to have a LONGER fat buring effect than endurance activity, even though you only tap in to glycogen and do it for a shorter time; the overall metabolic increase has a longer duration after the exercise itself has ended.

What I know is that for ME, it takes all kinds. I do sprints, hills, HIIT, and that 60min BS. The combonation seems to really keep the fires burning.

i think the combination helps the overtraining syndrome...and you dont get bored!
i love those circuit training classes...the insructors give us exercises like boot camp:D

Top Bottom