Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply US-PHARMACIES UGL OZ
Raptor Labs UGFREAK OxygenPharm
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplyUS-PHARMACIES UGL OZUGFREAKRaptor LabsOxygenPharm

Cardio after eating or on an empty stomach

Lao Tzu

New member
I have noticed that if i eat a high carb meal with ALA 1 hr before i work out that I will have more energy and stamina for cardio. However, at the same time this means my body isn't going to break down fats (and muscle) to get energy for the workout due to the carbs in the food feuling me. I eat about 600 calories worth of stuff that is about 60% carbs.

But at the same time, i can't do the intensity or duration of cardio w/o eating that i can with. I remember when i didn't time eating 1hr before cardio, sometimes i'd have alot of energy, sometimes i could barely make 25 minutes. Now that i time it i can go 40 minutes on a machine that says im burning 1200 calories/hr (who knows how true that is) and not really be winded. i could probably go 60 minutes if i wanted to but i dont.

So is the tradeoff worth it? I will not burn much fat (and muscle) during cardio, but my overall caloric need per day will rise, making my caloric deficit higher per day. If i don't eat before cardio maybe my daily caloric need will be 4300, but if i do eat before (and do more cardio and do it more intensely) it will be 4700.
 
a calorie is a calorie ultimatly

BUT!

there is something about morning cardio after an all night fast!~
 
It depends on your goals... if you are trying to increase your stamina and endurance then eat away. If you are trying to loose unwanted pounds....I'd do it on an empty stomach.
 
when I was reall crazy once while getting cut

I did this:

last meal of night then one or two hours later

I ran for 45 minutes before bed

EAT NOTHING

then in the am the next morning I would go to the gym after downing a cup of coffee, and do another 45 minutes of low impact cardio...


nothing more important
 
If you're losing fat, you're going to lose some muscle. Period.

That being said, the absolute quickest way to lose fat (you can regain muscle later) is AM cardio in a fasted state, and do not eat for 1-2 hours afterward. Fat burning is the greatest when insulin sensitivity is the highest and blood sugar levels are the lowest.
 
poantrex said:
If you're losing fat, you're going to lose some muscle. Period.

That being said, the absolute quickest way to lose fat (you can regain muscle later) is AM cardio in a fasted state, and do not eat for 1-2 hours afterward. Fat burning is the greatest when insulin sensitivity is the highest and blood sugar levels are the lowest.
 
Sounds like your doing the same as I, I even think I know youre talking bout LifeFitness elliptical. I love it too and usually go for 60-70min after training. I also eat high fiber carbs and whey prior to lifting. One thing to remember is that the body never utilizes one single source of fuel for energy, which means you will be burning fat even if you just ate. Doing it aftr lifting is beneficial in the sense that your body is already warmed up and the first 20 min of activity is used up as needed to even begin to burn fat as fuel.
 
poantrex said:
If you're losing fat, you're going to lose some muscle. Period.

Period?? You're evidence is where?

Tell that to all those people in my Wall of Fame. It's entirely possible to lose fat AND even GAIN lean mass, yes it is. It does depend on one's current condition, yes, but to say "period" is a blanket statement, and most certainly does not apply to everyone, that's absurd.

~SC~
CEO
www.gotswole.com
As Seen In Musclemag
International Issues 259,
264.
 
~SC~ said:
Period?? You're evidence is where?

Tell that to all those people in my Wall of Fame. It's entirely possible to lose fat AND even GAIN lean mass, yes it is. It does depend on one's current condition, yes, but to say "period" is a blanket statement, and most certainly does not apply to everyone, that's absurd.

~SC~
CEO
www.gotswole.com
As Seen In Musclemag
International Issues 259,
264.

While I believe its possible to loose fat and gain muscle at the same time while in a calorie surplus, I do not believe its possible while in a calorie defecit.

Do you agree?
 
Mmmm, not entirely. It depends on what your macros are comprised of, where they are placed, and the amount of cardio/weight training/rest you incorporate. 2800kcals of healthy efa's and protein will yield diff results than 2800 kcals of processeed carbs.........that is where the changes occur along w/ the activity performed. I wrote an article titled "why I don't count calories" that goes more in depth in regards to this kind of discussion, and it's housed in my V.X. Virtual Library.

~SC~
CEO
www.gotswole.com
As Seen In MuscleMag
International Issues 259,
264.
 
So would it be safe to assume that your formula consists of fairly low carbs, mega high protein (2+ x bw?) and moderate fats?

Man, I wish I could afford to eat 3 x bw in protein. I'd like to try it out, see how it goes.
 
~SC~ said:
Period?? You're evidence is where?

Tell that to all those people in my Wall of Fame. It's entirely possible to lose fat AND even GAIN lean mass, yes it is. It does depend on one's current condition, yes, but to say "period" is a blanket statement, and most certainly does not apply to everyone, that's absurd.

Hey SC, just to clarify, are we talking about being "on" or "off", or does it matter? thanks.
 
I don't possess any "1" formula, and it's not 2x bodyweight unless someone is really "geared up". There comes a point where too much is just too much. At times we can near that if the subject is progressing nicely, but very rarely do I have someone eat that much. (Bulking on gear being the exception)

3x protein would be no better than 2x bw in protein unless you like to turn the excess into glycogen and store the excess that is not burned as fat. That is an insane amount to me if you aren't 300 lbs. and on about 2 grams of gear per week. Even then there is a point of diminishing returns for the amount put in.

~SC~
CEO
www.gotswole.com
As Seen In MuscleMag
International Issues 259,
264
 
mcbruiser said:
Hey SC, just to clarify, are we talking about being "on" or "off", or does it matter? thanks.

Those I was referring to (about 80% anyhow) are/were not enhanced in any fashion, no. Gear can help you in the results you'll see by accelerating them or making them more pronounced in a shorter amount of time, but gear is not responsible for the actual mechanisms in which this body composition change is achieved.

~SC~
CEO
www.gotswole.com
As Seen In MuscleMag
International Issues 259,
264.
 
~SC~ said:
Period?? You're evidence is where?

Tell that to all those people in my Wall of Fame. It's entirely possible to lose fat AND even GAIN lean mass, yes it is. It does depend on one's current condition, yes, but to say "period" is a blanket statement, and most certainly does not apply to everyone, that's absurd.

~SC~
CEO
www.gotswole.com
As Seen In Musclemag
International Issues 259,
264.

Its entirely possible if you're a shitload of steroids, sure.

Otherwise IN MY EXPERIENCE You cannot do both concurrently - i've tried every type of diet out there, and some let you maintain most muscle while fat goes away very slowly - but to do both at the same time, I don't believe its possible without pharmaceutical assistance
 
How many fucking threads are there going to be on this topic? There are very few people on here that know what they're talking about on this issue, go read the information that's out there, and make your own decision.

It's possible to gain muscle and lose fat over a period of time...but at any one instant, you are either gaining fat and gaining muscle or losing fat and losing muscle. You can't gain muscle and lose fat at the same exact point in time...and that's where people get confused.
 
Bulldog_10 said:
How many fucking threads are there going to be on this topic? There are very few people on here that know what they're talking about on this issue, go read the information that's out there, and make your own decision.

I was going to say the same thing. There was just a thread about this very subject not even a week ago. The problem is people do something one way, get results, and then believe that's the only way to do it without understanding the reasoning behind why there method worked. All the answers you need are in this thread.http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191484
 
To each his own that's for sure. I know what works for me and for the 1000's I assist, and that's all the backing I need. :D

~SC~
CEO
www.gotswole.com
As Seen In MuscleMag
International Issues
259, 264.
 
Burning_Inside said:
All im taking is yohimburn ES and thermorexin.

What time do you apply the YES? Is it in the morning, then you don't eat for a few hours or what?

im thinking of maybe cutting calories 1hr before cardio, but applying yohimburn and taking some stimulants (thermos, ephedrine, something like that) as an experiment. Maybe cut the carbs down to 100g or so (down from about 140g now) and do about 950 calories in lifting and cardio at the gym.
 
Top Bottom