Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Canada s referendum on the Monarchy, Should the British Crown Stay?

Should Canada Keep the British Monarchy?

• Aye, YES God Saves the Queen, good orangeman I am (JK) YES

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • NO, get that old creepy f*** bitch out of my money!

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters

3Vandoo

Well, some of you that know I am a HARDCORE republican for many reasons and I hate the British Empire and what they did to my people. But soon, here in Canada we will have a referendum about, Should we keep the Queen and her monarchy.

Personally I say GET RID of her and her imperialist symbol of superiority over the people but in fact if we get rid of her I think I might miss her because I will not have anyone to bitch about. Plus as a Canadian Force Members thats mean ALOT of changes for us , new symbols, tradition etc etc etc......

So let hear people
and vote

Should the Queen stay in Canada

YES OR NO?

Last edited:
I live in Australia, and we had the same type of referendum a few years ago.

It was defeated and we're still not a republic...

It's not going to happen anytime soon, for several reasons:

* To amend the sections of the Canada Act that refer to the Monarchy requires support of all ten provinces. Getting all ten to back a single proposal (especially since some of the smaller provinces - e.g. PEI - are overwhelmingly monarchist) is pretty unlikely.

* How would the change be presented to the people? If it carried ANY whiff of concession to Quebec, it would be very divisive - there are still people who argue over the Canadian flag or whether July 1 should be called "Canada Day" or "Dominion Day."

* What would you replace the Monarchy with? A president? How would you select a president? This is what derailed the republican movement in Australia - some republic supporters wanted a directly elected president (more democratic, not just some has-been politican, etc.), while some wanted what amounted to a retitling of the Governor-General, mainly on the grounds that a directly elected President would be incompatible with a Westminster-style government.

* The Monarchy serves as a symbol - no matter how antiquated - of the fact that the United Empire Loyalists and the Quebecois made a difference choice than their neighbours to the south back in 1776. Anything that makes Canada more like the US runs the risk of raising the eventual question "why have a Canada at all? Why not just become the 51st through 60th states?" (Or the 51st through 59th states with Quebec going its own way or becoming a loosely attached appendage like Puerto Rico.)

One intriuging idea I read about was the idea that Canada could consider replacing the hereditary monarchy with a nominative monarchy - choosing someone (either the way the Governor-General is chosen now, or perhaps one of the members of the highest level of the Order of Canada) to wear the Canadian Crown, thus replacing both the link to the House of Windsor and the office of Governor-General. Remember that Canada's Crown and Britain's Crown are two completely separate institutions - it just so happens that the same person wears both and the same law - the Statute of Westminster - governs succession to the two thrones.

This would allow the keeping of the symbols of the Monarchy (e.g. armed forces traditions, the "R" in "RCMP", etc.), and have a republic in all but name. It would mean some changes in terminology (for example, not using terms such as "soverign" or "subject" - these are pretty outdated and rarely used today anyway, even in the UK) and a few practical changes (e.g. if the new monarch was to have a relatively fixed term such as the G-G has now, it might not be practical to change the coins every four or five years), but most of the symbolic trappings and traditions of the Monarchy could be retained.

I'm not sure if the Statute of Westminster is incorporated in the Canada Act - if not, this could be a simple Act of Parliament creating a separate Canadian succession mechanism which would break the link between the British and Canadian Crowns at a natural ending point - the death of Elizabeth II.

(Of course, this could mean we'd live to see the coronation of King Wayne I!):D

I like having a monarchy. It sets us apart from the Yanks. :)

The queen has no real power here anyway -- the whole thing is just about tradition. Personally, I hope we keep her around.

Norman Bates said:
Monarchy costs a lot of money. I wouldn´t want to pay for their pompous life style.

I don't think we actually have to give them money, dude. :) The Royals get all thier income from the Brits...I hope anyway. I sure as shit don't want to be paying for Prince Harry's polo lessons.

What's so special about the british royalty? Royally outdated is all IMO.

For me monarchy is a sign of dominance by the elite, a sign that we had superior(they think are), sign that we are the subject to her majesty.

All Queen and Kings should be eliminated

Top Bottom