Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - Recovery

highoctane

Just a generic post to others who participate in BJJ. I find after grappling for an hour, I wake up the next morning and can't move. The typical ache that most guys I've talked to have; rib cage, obliques, back, shoulders. With this being said I find I have to take it easy the next day and that's a let down. I've wondered in the past whether its the fact that I'm a female and smaller that recovery sucks, but there are guys my size in that class as well.

Any thoughts?

HighOctane said:
Just a generic post to others who participate in BJJ. I find after grappling for an hour, I wake up the next morning and can't move. The typical ache that most guys I've talked to have; rib cage, obliques, back, shoulders. With this being said I find I have to take it easy the next day and that's a let down. I've wondered in the past whether its the fact that I'm a female and smaller that recovery sucks, but there are guys my size in that class as well.

Any thoughts?
I do BJJ and i always get caught with Kimura's and key locks so my biceps always ache, they normally take a day or two to recover. When your grappling try to take it easy and be relaxed, you'll ache less the next day then, also tap out to some submissions quickly so you won't injure your muscles.

Do you have a good warmup before you grapple?

danbo said:
I do BJJ and i always get caught with Kimura's and key locks so my biceps always ache, they normally take a day or two to recover. When your grappling try to take it easy and be relaxed, you'll ache less the next day then, also tap out to some submissions quickly so you won't injure your muscles.

Do you have a good warmup before you grapple?

I suppose the warmup probably isn't the best. Ten minutes of stretching, 2 sets of shrimps, 2 sets of back rolls. I also have a problem with staying relaxed and loose while grappling. I have yet to train myself that it is not my size that hinders me but my lack of technique. As for tapping out more quickly, then I feel like I've cheated myself. Does that make any sense at all? Lose lose situation right now. If I tap early - lose, if I can't train the next day - lose. :rolleyes:

any muscle soreness you get from an activity should diminish to almost nothing after a few weeks, unless you do it infrequently

how often do you BJJ and since when?

casualbb said:
any muscle soreness you get from an activity should diminish to almost nothing after a few weeks, unless you do it infrequently

how often do you BJJ and since when?

Ok I cave...I took 2 months off. :sulk:

I think I'm just pissed I couldn't train today. Frustrated I suppose. Just seems like no matter how long I fight it doesn't go away. This was the same case for months on end before I took a "break".

You must understand that if someone gets you in a submission you either tap out, get a broken bone, damaged tendons, or go to sleep for a bit (knocked out), so you have to tap out unless you want to get an injury.

p.s. Losing isn't bad, i must have got tapped out 10 times today with the same submission (keylock) time and time again, but i am now learning to prevent myself from being submitted with the keylock.

I was fighting in the Welsh Grapple Challenge on Sunday and got tapped out with a keylock, because of that i came last in my category. Its all a learning experience though.

How long have you been doing BJJ?

danbo said:
You must understand that if someone gets you in a submission you either tap out, get a broken bone, damaged tendons, or go to sleep for a bit (knocked out), so you have to tap out unless you want to get an injury.

p.s. Losing isn't bad, i must have got tapped out 10 times today with the same submission (keylock) time and time again, but i am now learning to prevent myself from being submitted with the keylock.

I was fighting in the Welsh Grapple Challenge on Sunday and got tapped out with a keylock, because of that i came last in my category. Its all a learning experience though.

How long have you been doing BJJ?

Obviously I tap when I need to. I didn't say "I don't tap at all", I just said "I don't tap early". I'm just saying I push myself. Anybody who participates in BJJ realizes that tapping out is a part of the game. As for how long, about 6 months before this 2 month break.

HighOctane said:
Obviously I tap when I need to. I didn't say "I don't tap at all", I just said "I don't tap early". I'm just saying I push myself. Anybody who participates in BJJ realizes that tapping out is a part of the game. As for how long, about 6 months before this 2 month break.
Maybe you should tap a little earlier, this could possibly mean your muscles take less punishment. Also try to eat some form of protein after your BJJ session.

bjj is hard on your body, but the results.. the results! your grip will prolly improve bcause of the gillotine chokes, ankle locks, kimuras, gi chokes, grabs, etc. watch your ears though, they do tend to get mangled! and since youre a lady and all, i cant think of anything better for self defense. say if some guy, *knock on wood* tried to take you down, you can do a sweep, get mount and beat him to a pulp. good luck with your training.

Yarg! said:
bjj is hard on your body, but the results.. the results! your grip will prolly improve bcause of the gillotine chokes, ankle locks, kimuras, gi chokes, grabs, etc. watch your ears though, they do tend to get mangled! and since youre a lady and all, i cant think of anything better for self defense. say if some guy, *knock on wood* tried to take you down, you can do a sweep, get mount and beat him to a pulp. good luck with your training.
No matter how good you are at BJJ, if your out numbered RUN, i would.

Top Bottom