Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Beginner with 2 quick questoins

Banscare

Hey,
A little background, I'm a real skinny guy and I just moved from a real quiet neighbourhood to a not so friendly neighbourhood. I always thought I wouldn't care about getting beat up... but it turns out that it hurts like hell and I don't like it.

I started working out 2 days ago and I don't know much about it other then I need some muscle to soften the blows over my ribs. What are the muscles called that cover your rib cage and how do I develop them? Mostly on the sides. I was also wondering if it is okay to work out even though I am really sore. It has been about 48 hours since my last work out.

Thanks in advance

That is too little background. Can you give us more info in regards to diet, workout routines?.......heck you could even sprint through the neighborhood as cardio. :)

I am 20 years old. I am a computer programmer/software engineer so I do not get much exercise. My diet consists of fast food for lunch (sometimes a salad instead of fries) and whatever is in the freezer for dinner. Usually fries and chicken burgers and garbage like that. I worked out in high school a little bit but that's about it. I am 6 feet tall and 160 pounds. My chest and arms are like a normal person but my legs and mid section belong to a young girl, I'm convinced. I wish there was a way to make my chest and stomach wider. My ribs show and they are really prone to injuries. I know I have a terrible diet and need to change a lot of things but I figure I would take it one step at a time. I started doing full body routines on Saturday and I was going to continue that routine today. I'll post the routine once my boss leaves the office here. I believe there are pictures of large me with very little cloths on in the website so I have to wait.

That info would be very helpful. At least you know that diet has to change. That is a good start too. I work in IT myself and actually find that lifestyle and work more conducive to training and dieting. I eat at my desk most of the day, leave the office only to hit the gym(7 minutes door to door.....45 minutes lunch workout) at lunch and after work, I cook all my meals for at least a few days at a time on Sundays and Wednesdays and you must admit the restful nature of sitting during the day is great for muscle recovery.

I would seriously think about using that cash you use for fast food for better foods at the grocery store. Anyone can scramble eggs, bake chicken and cook a sweet potato or two. Steam some broccoli, nuke some oatmeal......etc. It isn't as hard to get started if you start making the right decisions in regards to effort. just depends on how bad you want it I guess.

I'm thinking that getting all the foods and cooking them will be the hardest part. I will probably just use web forums to find good diets too. Well here is the simple workout plan I was planning to follow. It is lacking a couple things like forearms and neck but I figure its a good base to build off.
Day 1: Full body (Chest, shoulders, back, biceps, triceps, abs, legs, calves)
Day 2: Rest
Day 3: Full body (Legs, calves, back, abs, shoulders, chest, biceps, triceps)
Day 4: Rest
Day 5: Full body (Back, chest, legs, triceps, biceps, calves, shoulders, abs)
Day 6: Rest
Day 7: Rest

So back to my original question. Is there muscles that cover your ribs other then the Latorials or whatever? I have a full cage thing going on here. How can I get rid of this?
Oh, and is it ok to work out even though I am still sore?

Better than the first post.......seriously better info. Diet is a major factor in accomplishing what you want to accomplish here. You will have to attempt an honest effort with it so be successful.

Where did you get this workout? Does it follow a model? I know this seems AR(anal retentive) but what are the exerices sets and reps to are currently using.

I googled 'full body workout plan" hehe
Well I am still refining it to my needs (if that makes sense) but the one time I have worked out following it I used the example word for word. I put in the weight and reps I did. I'm really sore too.

Choose 1 exercise per body part. Below is a sample of on Day 1:

• [*]Bench press - laying on my back with free weights i warmed up with 35's and did one set with 60's and 10 reps
    [*]DB Press - I was not sure what this one was so I did shoulder raises with free weights. 20's at 12 reps :p
    [*]Bent-over barbell rows- was not sure about this one either so i did pull downs. Sitting on a bench with a long bar with cables on it, pulling it down. Seems to have hit my lats. I can't remember how heavy. Might have been like 50 lbs
    [*]Standing barbell curls- Did a set of 21's with 50 pound bar.
    [*]Parallel-bar dips- I assumed this was for triceps so i just used that black rope thing and pulled it down 50 pounds 12 reps
    [*]Hanging leg raises- This one was fun. managed to do like 5 lol
    [*]Barbell squats- 10 reps at 160 pounds. I hear this one is really important. Seems about right seeing how hard it was.
    [*]Standing calf raises- 20 reps with 50 pounds on my shoulders
I only did 1 set of each because I knew how sore I was going to be. I was thinking about only doing one again today. If you have a better suggestion I would love to hear it. I also just had chicken brest and a large salad for lunch. :)

I googled 'full body workout plan" hehe
Well I am still refining it to my needs (if that makes sense) but the one time I have worked out following it I used the example word for word. I put in the weight and reps I did. I'm really sore too.

Choose 1 exercise per body part. Below is a sample of on Day 1:

• [*]Bench press - laying on my back with free weights i warmed up with 35's and did one set with 60's and 10 reps
    [*]DB Press - I was not sure what this one was so I did shoulder raises with free weights. 20's at 12 reps :p
    [*]Bent-over barbell rows- was not sure about this one either so i did pull downs. Sitting on a bench with a long bar with cables on it, pulling it down. Seems to have hit my lats. I can't remember how heavy. Might have been like 50 lbs
    [*]Standing barbell curls- Did a set of 21's with 50 pound bar.
    [*]Parallel-bar dips- I assumed this was for triceps so i just used that black rope thing and pulled it down 50 pounds 12 reps
    [*]Hanging leg raises- This one was fun. managed to do like 5 lol
    [*]Barbell squats- 10 reps at 160 pounds. I hear this one is really important. Seems about right seeing how hard it was.
    [*]Standing calf raises- 20 reps with 50 pounds on my shoulders
I only did 1 set of each because I knew how sore I was going to be. I was thinking about only doing one again today. If you have a better suggestion I would love to hear it. I also just had chicken brest and a large salad for lunch. :)

Search here and Google '5x5 workout'. It's a full body workout, consisting of 5 sets of 5 reps for each exercise. Only compound exercises. So you'll do Chest, Back, Bi's, Legs, etc. You should see better results with something like this.
As long as your doing your exercises properly, being sore is normal, just make sure you get your rest in on your rest days. Also, start taking protein shakes with Glutamine / BCAAs for muscle recovery.
As for the names of the muscles over your ribs, I don't really know.. but if someone wants to beat on your ribs it's gonna hurt regardless. Getting big and strong should help you though so they can't get to the point of beating on your ribs, lol. Maybe take some Kickboxing or Muai Thai or something.

Also pick up the 'Anabolic Cookbook' from this site, will help you greatly with your diet.

Cool thanks for the info. I found the 5x5 workout but I cannot seem to find the Anabolic cookbook. I did however find multiple threads praising it, which made me more interested.

Top Bottom