Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply US-PHARMACIES UGL OZ
Raptor Labs UGFREAK OxygenPharm
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplyUS-PHARMACIES UGL OZUGFREAKRaptor LabsOxygenPharm

Begging EF members for help/vote on Grad Research Project.

EF and communal needs...

  • The community I live in is pleasant. EF is an adjunct based on shared interest.

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • I relate more to people on EF than I do in my neighborhood.

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Electronic Communication can't replace Human Interaction. EF I just use to fight boredom.

    Votes: 16 48.5%
  • EF has met my communal needs and I'm happy with it.

    Votes: 4 12.1%

  • Total voters
    33

-Ariel-

-Thandzilla-
Platinum
Okay where to begin... my research project concerns that due to various factors such as increased technology, globalization of the media, increasing media marketization, there has been a certain 'commodification' of culture. Its my premise that there have been cultural effects that I won't digress on such as increased isolation, lack of community, social fragmentation, cultural lack of empathy.... and a certain 'coarsening' effect on the social and individual psyche.

First off, what do I mean by culture... Culture specifically means the power to define reality. Who has this ultimate power? AOL Time Warner, Vivendi Universal, Bertellsman, News Corporation, Sony, Disney, and Viacom. As an example lets examine Rupert Murdoch's baby NewsCorporation: they own Fox Television, 20th Century Fox Films, Harper Collins Publishing, are the largest owner of newspapers in the world, and finally own Sky Television, which broadcasts all over the world. These 7 transnational corporation own all the culture shaping industries and they since they are private corps. loaded with debt they only have one goal: to sell commodities.

My question concerning you guys at EF is there seems to be a current lack of community based on where one lives. If we compared neighborhoods 50 years ago to neighborhoods today, I bet there would be more of a communal feel... this is phenomenon is not exactly groundbreaking news... Marketers, since the 80s know the consumer is wanting more than just shopping and entertainment from their culture: they want identity, a sense of belonging. One example that comes to mind is Starbucks, they started selling a pseudo/spiritual sense of belonging to a community to the public, what they call a "third place", a location that's not home, not work, a place you can meet other people who share similar interests. The problem is this "third place" is not their private idea. This idea used to be public: The sense of belonging to a community.

This is what has happened the last 20 years, but especially now: it is the privatization of something that used to be public.

In my life, I have my colleagues I go to school with, I have work friends who I can relate to, I have friends -that all married with kids-, I have an SO that I'm intimate with, and finally I have parents that I adore, however there is really a lack of community where I live and sort of a communal void in my life. I came to do research on gear... the next thing I know, I"m down here chatting with CM about becoming Finally Fit... and noticed a rather strong sense of communal "feel" here. :chomp:

My question is do you feel EF provides a sense of community to you?

On the other hand, are your communal needs met just fine, and EF is just an auxiliary adjunct to what you would perceive as a healthy community environment which is pleasant enough and provides you a sense of belonging.
I would love to include your guy's participation in my research project which is due October 20 and I'm way ahead of the power curve, this is actually my next section that I'm goin to research. I would love to include "real" input into a purely theoretical peice. I need 30 to 50 voted to include this poll as data, but more important, actual feedback would be appreciated and even stir my mind even more.
:) Votes are purely confidential.
 
Last edited:
Interesting project re: social networking on the 'net in general regardless of the site. One finds people of like minds and becomes part of the community but unlike real communities there is little "fact" checking to validate a person. In the gym, dojo, or workplace I can measure a person pretty easily and know how to value their statements. Takes longer here and some spend a lot of time joking so one can't be sure who is the real person behind the screenname. Does the anonymity give one a sense of freedom?

As far as your question goes, I do find a sense of community here and look forward to logging in. It can be a time sink though as I find that I check during slow times at work then spend more time than I would at a water cooler chat. I travel alone a lot and work alone a lot so this is my water cooler.

Not sure if I answered all your questions but feel free to PM me and I will check back on the thread.

S
 
I use ef as a tool to cure boredom while at work (lol!)

however, i work for a small company so i sort of see it like the ONLY way I can talk to people while at work besides the people who are here. I am alone on my lunch break too, so i guess I get lonely.
 
It kills time....I have voted
 
the_alcatraz said:
It kills time....I have voted
I'm the only fool that voted that I use EF cause it fills the communal void, the only time I'm home in my apartment is to sleep, when the SO stays over, I'm either on campus, at work, in the gym, or at some beatnik coffee shop, now due to EF I can interact with similar minds, well not totally similar, my train of thoughts a little weird, but anyway... I need 30 votes, and I really wanna use the votes as data for this theoretical piece. So include the newb's shameless reposted attempts to get to 30 as valid. Its for a good cause... so vote please, please... and feedback reflecting your thoughts is more than appreciated, it is sincerely valued. :heart:
 
My brain likes constant stimulation...I'm never bored at work but I'm usually multitasking about four things, one of which is EF. It provides a mini break from a monotany of numbers to keep my brain from turning to mush because I'm getting hyperfocused (which for me is actually a negative...when I get hyperfocused, if anything breaks my zone it takes me thirty minutes to get productive again).
 
*The_West* said:
im the only one who has voted on option one so far
This I hypothesized would be the most popular... I was with PICK 3 voting for communal void... which are two words I think I'll start using more often paired together... just sounds good :chomp:
 
nefertiti said:
My brain likes constant stimulation...I'm never bored at work but I'm usually multitasking about four things, one of which is EF. It provides a mini break from a monotany of numbers to keep my brain from turning to mush because I'm getting hyperfocused (which for me is actually a negative...when I get hyperfocused, if anything breaks my zone it takes me thirty minutes to get productive again).

Agree on the constant stimulation but only healthy stimulation for me which is part of why I keep coming back here. Coming here can be a quick health focused chat that I don't get from most the people I see at work which is often 70+ hours per week. I like the Weight Training, Power Lifting, Martial Arts, AAS, and of course my guilty pleasure is C&C.
 
Hmm, an interesting thought... Well I'm with *the west* with The community I live in is pleasant. EF is an adjunct based on shared interest.
IMHO, nothing can fill my need for social stimulation like real conversations with real people. However I enjoy retreating to the protective walls of my sanctum of secure conversations that most people wouldn't view in a similar light. Such as "Oh my god you use steroids? You know that stuff will make your dick shrink!" Ah, the uneducated masses... Yet I enjoy knowing that when my sporadic, mind desires I may converse among my fellow brethren here.

Instead of arguing with them I just avoid bodybuilding conversation with them. I pick my fights carefully.

and BUMP for my good bro ariel347!
 
roadwarrior said:
Agree on the constant stimulation but only healthy stimulation for me which is part of why I keep coming back here. Coming here can be a quick health focused chat that I don't get from most the people I see at work which is often 70+ hours per week. I like the Weight Training, Power Lifting, Martial Arts, anabolic steroids, and of course my guilty pleasure is C&C.
This is what digs at me, this is the first board I've joined, and find C&C addicting... like I really like to log on, and I'm much more stimulated by trains of thought... via text... via 17 inch screen and thats what intrigues me... common sense, right... I know... but it just fascinates me that I would rather communicate through lines of text with a certain demograph that shares similar interests but is rather eclectic than chatting about how time is flying by... which it is, but you get the point. I still get enough stimulation on campus through debating the validity of my arguments... but I dunno even though I share similar interests with my colleagues and its human interaction, I remain captivated by C&C... :)
And it has nothing to do with my interest in gear either, which is equated with primal brutality -overexagerration- in the transpersonal/integral studies field.
 
i use it to procure information and to share information and when i am not doing that i usually just killing some time on EF.
 
beachhead06 said:
Hmm, an interesting thought... Well I'm with *the west* with The community I live in is pleasant. EF is an adjunct based on shared interest.
IMHO, nothing can fill my need for social stimulation like real conversations with real people. However I enjoy retreating to the protective walls of my sanctum of secure conversations that most people wouldn't view in a similar light. Such as "Oh my god you use steroids? You know that stuff will make your dick shrink!" Ah, the uneducated masses... Yet I enjoy knowing that when my sporadic, mind desires I may converse among my fellow brethren here.

Instead of arguing with them I just avoid bodybuilding conversation with them. I pick my fights carefully.

and BUMP for my good bro ariel347!
this is a good reply, pretty much my take on it. of course it can never take the place of human interaction, but i only have a couple of mates i can talk about training and aas with, obviously im not with them 24/7, so if there is a question i want to ask,or something i want to talk about ,i can come here anytime i want, and chances are there are many people online and willing to answer/talk about it. there are certain things that i feel comfortable saying here, but would not want to ask someone in the real world. plus, c+c is a right giggle!
 
I just woke up... and am pleased with the excellent feedback, however, kinda makes me feel lame that I'm in the minority with relates to EF more than I do my neighbors...
 
ariel347 said:
This is what digs at me, this is the first board I've joined, and find C&C addicting... like I really like to log on, and I'm much more stimulated by trains of thought... via text... via 17 inch screen and thats what intrigues me... common sense, right... I know... but it just fascinates me that I would rather communicate through lines of text with a certain demograph that shares similar interests but is rather eclectic than chatting about how time is flying by... which it is, but you get the point. I still get enough stimulation on campus through debating the validity of my arguments... but I dunno even though I share similar interests with my colleagues and its human interaction, I remain captivated by C&C... :)
And it has nothing to do with my interest in gear either, which is equated with primal brutality -overexagerration- in the transpersonal/integral studies field.

Agree vis-a-vis the addicting nature of C&C. It's like reading a tabloid at the grocery line but you'd never admit it to your IRL friends. It is also very different than IRL discussions in that it is asynchronous and anyone can take as long as they want to write a long detailed post without being interupted or refuted but then you can be blasted for saying something stupid and it is for all to see. Have you tried any sysnchronous on line communities like the old CUworld that I mentioned in my PM? It was an early on line communitie during th elate nineties that was real time video chat. We had to institute monitors to keep it PG13 rated as many pervs used it to flash and more. We tried to write code to detect penis and breasts but found there was too much variability in the images to do it reliably so we had 24/7 mods watching.

Given the change in sysnchronous to asynchronous communications which also lack the nonverbal clues as to intent and subtle meaning of interpersonal communications, do you believe it is affecting the socialization skills of young people? This would extend to texting instead of calling on the phone.

S
 
I picked the second one BUT I really need to put a major caveat in here. Pagans do not generally fit in with NON pagans, even if you're keeping it on the D/L (which my husband and I generally do not, we don't fly our freak flag but we're ... different from Mr. & Mrs. Whitebread Suburbia next door, that's for sure). We fit in terrifically with a pagan setting and get along very well with "our own kind," (hate saying it like that but it's true), in fact, we're like the vanilla pagans. Before finding a pagan framework in which to hang with other people, particularly since I work from home, I was virtually a recluse verging on agoraphobia and EF was my only social interaction for a very long time.
 
musclemom said:
I picked the second one BUT I really need to put a major caveat in here. Pagans do not generally fit in with NON pagans, even if you're keeping it on the D/L (which my husband and I generally do not, we don't fly our freak flag but we're ... different from Mr. & Mrs. Whitebread Suburbia next door, that's for sure). We fit in terrifically with a pagan setting and get along very well with "our own kind," (hate saying it like that but it's true), in fact, we're like the vanilla pagans. Before finding a pagan framework in which to hang with other people, particularly since I work from home, I was virtually a recluse verging on agoraphobia and EF was my only social interaction for a very long time.

Oh come on - you pagans ain't so bad. A couple of my best friends are pagan. They own a tattoo shop in Salem MA.
 
roadwarrior said:
Oh come on - you pagans ain't so bad. A couple of my best friends are pagan. They own a tattoo shop in Salem MA.
:rolleyes:

Salem is a very eclectic town with a LOT of openly OUT pagans (thanks in no small part to dear Laurie Cabot).

I live in your standard "white bread suburban bedroom community." To top it off, I'm across the street from a Jehovah's Witness meeting hall.

My husband and I barely know ONE couple in this neighborhood, and their first names, only. We just don't connect with the people around here.
 
musclemom said:
:rolleyes:

Salem is a very eclectic town with a LOT of openly OUT pagans (thanks in no small part to dear Laurie Cabot).

I live in your standard "white bread suburban bedroom community." To top it off, I'm across the street from a Jehovah's Witness meeting hall.

My husband and I barely know ONE couple in this neighborhood, and their first names, only. We just don't connect with the people around here.

Bad place for a good ol' pagan. I'll take the naturist view of universal truth over the god approach any day but I am an atheist.
 
the feedback has been tremendous and I am more than grateful, with one more vote, I can use this piece as data in my grad. project. I will display my gratitude tomorrow, Im still busy... but I will display my grat. with major K for good words... strong words... I will leave it at that. :chomp:
 
roadwarrior said:
Bad place for a good ol' pagan. I'll take the naturist view of universal truth over the god approach any day but I am an atheist.
I tried to avoid this, but restraint aint one of my strengths... my posts jumbled with so much folderol should be a testament to that... I believe that there is no personal god say with this ultimate personality governing the universe, or evolution, nor is there an erotic force of male/female unity intervening in the physical world, I do believe in God... but its not a personal being. Okay I'll stop there.
 
ariel347 said:
I tried to avoid this, but restraint aint one of my strengths... my posts jumbled with so much folderol should be a testament to that... I believe that there is no personal god say with this ultimate personality governing the universe, or evolution, nor is there an erotic force of male/female unity intervening in the physical world, I do believe in God... but its not a personal being. Okay I'll stop there.

Ahh... dude... god is a very personal thing and in all but generalities is best kept to oneself or with others of known similar beliefs. I don't care what god or other universal truth one believes or follows. I care about the core person inside. I've seen plenty so called religious people with no honor or morals and I've seen hard core non religious people that I could trust anytime, anywhere.
 
roadwarrior said:
Ahh... dude... god is a very personal thing and in all but generalities is best kept to oneself or with others of known similar beliefs. I don't care what god or other universal truth one believes or follows. I care about the core person inside. I've seen plenty so called religious people with no honor or morals and I've seen hard core non religious people that I could trust anytime, anywhere.
The ultimate test is to get past yourself... still working on this, that is the ultimate sacrifce... I dropped the ball on my last post big time, shouldn't have typed it, this I now realize, I reread it and now I'm like fuck why the hell did you type that. Hey you and MM sucked me in... its not my fault... lol
My viewpoint is based on shit i've read, heard, and its really folderol, gnostic folderol... but clearly the author espousing such beliefs has no fucking clue. :chomp:
 
Top Bottom