Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply US-PHARMACIES UGL OZ
Raptor Labs UGFREAK OxygenPharm
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplyUS-PHARMACIES UGL OZUGFREAKRaptor LabsOxygenPharm

Anybody an IT person???

TC2

New member
I'm about to take the A+ exams and I'm about to start the Network+ class.

If any of you guys have done this, Where did you start out at??(job wise)

I've been told to start as a phone tech support(good experience).
I think I would rather start out with something more hands on.
 
IMNSHO, A+ certifications are worthless. Do like NAtty says and get yourself in the door as tech of some sort or last resort as 1st level support (though it's almost impossible to move out of those jobs.)

At that level it isn't all about technical knowledge, it's about work ethic, and intelligence. Once you move up in the world you'll have time to educate yourself while gaining real world experience.

Trust me!

Pebcak
 
naturally anabolic said:
get a job as a technician or repair to start off and climb the corporate ladder. :D

I thought about checking out www.stream.com , but I really don't want to be on the phone all day.

What are some good companies to start with, any suggestions??
 
"A+ certifications are worthless"

Damn, would you like to kick the shit out of my dog too, how about I bring my wheelchaired grandmother over and you can push her down a flight of stairs. :D
 
TC2 said:
"A+ certifications are worthless"

Damn, would you like to kick the shit out of my dog too, how about I bring my wheelchaired grandmother over and you can push her down a flight of stairs. :D

Bro, I'm sorry i just reread that post and it came off really harsh, not what I intended at all. What I was trying to get across was it's better (in my opinion) to get in to a job/company and prove your worth first, and that I don't think an A+ certification is going to give you that much of an advantage to do that.

Bottom line you have to do what you can? At least your not sitting on your ass praying for a job. If you can't find one now and are working on your A+ that's great. You're still working towards a goal. That counts in my book.

No disrespect meant.

Pebcak
 
Certifications really dont mean much anymore.

People at these companies realise now that almost anyone can pass these tests and get the piece of paper. Most now look for someone who actually has some knowledge of what they will be doing AFTER they have passed the test :)

Try getting a job as a Help Desk tech, or a LAN tech and work your way up.

Bern
 
I dont put much value in the certifications, A+, MCSE, Network+..

They WILL provide you with a piece of paper that may get you in the door for an interview..

These certifications will provide you with the knowledge you would receive in one year in an entry level IT position.


If you arent savvy with computers or networking already these courses will help. Expect maybe 30-40k with an MCSE.. 30-35k for A+, Network+..
 
I interviewed a bunch of people a little over a year ago for an IT job, and there were dozens of applicants who had no experience, but had taken A+ or MCSE courses. I passed them over for those with real-world experience.

My advice? Get the certs, and take an entry-level help desk job to learn the ropes. The experience is infinitely more valuable than the classes.
 
The IT field kinda sucks right now, in Florida anyway. If you know MCSE, Cisco, and Unix Admin you should be good to go. Companies want a "catch all" type of guy these days. Some programming couldnt hurt either.

Certifications dont really mean much anymore, as soon as you get one they come out with 4 more.

With A+ you can work at Best Buy for 10$ an hour:)
 
ALL cert. except maybe Cisco are pretty watered down these days.
Likely due to all the Cert test books out there and lots of truck drivers or plumbers wanting to change jobs. They are good at passing tests yet have no real life experience in IT

Most larger Companies outsource Deskside Hardware Support.
If you really want replace HD, Memory, install s/w and punchdown network connections and the like all day than an A+ cert will simply get you into the door.

Most of these Contracting agencies will call you in for an interview.
Some are good and take you into a room with a bunch of dis-assembled PC's and PC's with rigged problems.
They ask you to do certain task to see how fast and proficiently you can do them...

Various models etc...

Be aware the deskside Hardware route is like working an assemble line if you go with one of the big boys.
You are asked to work so many tickets a day and they keep coming.

Perhaps you can get an entry level IT Support job at a smaller company and learn from someone already there...
Thats what I would look for.
 
I do not hire people with "only certs", even for entry level positions (that's what interns are for).

Folks who have not been to college or at least taken some college level courses in Information Systems and Management cannot (or refuse to):

Properly document their work.

Provide detailed proposals that include cost/benefit analysis.

Manage a technical project.

Produce useful incident response reports.

If you're flying on certs alone, take a project mgt course.
 
Top Bottom