Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Alcoholism

OlavZipser said:
Sorry, there's no gray areas on the alcoholism for me. If you like to drink, you are an alcoholic, period I don't believe in a phrase such as "Oh, I can hold my liquor, don't worry." It doesn't matter. The only time you're not an alcoholic is that you don't drink at all. There is no "good" or "bad" alcoholic. Alcoholic is someone who likes to drink, regardless of how much they drink.

you only drink a glass of wine per week? You're alcoholic. Only a six-pack on the weekend? Alcoholic. It's amusing how people label other people "alcoholics" when they also drink. Sorry, no gray areas for me.

If your definition of having a problem with something is simply to like doing it no matter how infrequent then I must be a work-aholic, a drive-aholic, a protein-a-holic, a jerk-off-a-holic, a canned-tuna-a-holic, a sex-a-holic, a laundry-a-holic, a skim-milk-a-holic, a egg-white-a-holic, a internet-a-holic, a.........I need a 12 step program for all of these since I do them all on a regular basis.

superdave said:

If your definition of having a problem with something is simply to like doing it no matter how infrequent then I must be a work-aholic, a drive-aholic, a protein-a-holic, a jerk-off-a-holic, a canned-tuna-a-holic, a sex-a-holic, a laundry-a-holic, a skim-milk-a-holic, a egg-white-a-holic, a internet-a-holic, a.........I need a 12 step program for all of these since I do them all on a regular basis.

I got that same jerk-off-a-holic prob.

atlantabiolab said:

This is a weak argument, since the vast amount of alcoholics do not have the polymorphisms which have been linked to alcoholism. Simply because science can show a percentage of alcoholics have a certain genetic polymorphism does not remove the concept of "free will", as collegiatelifter mentions, nor implicates said genetic tendency as the cause of alcoholism. Can a person with insulin resistance not control their blood glucose levels? Can a person with obesity not control their weight?

Alcoholism is not a thing, but an action. All actions are controlled at the conscious level. If a person has a genetic polymorphism implicated in alcoholism yet never drinks, they are NOT alcoholics. Even stating that they are potential alcoholics would be misleading, for there is no individual who is not a potential alcoholic, if they so choose.

The medicalizing of behaviours has been the boon of the victim mentality of society. Remove the idea of control, add gene or "illness/disease" to the idea and you have no responsibility.

Do you believe in a unified theory of addiction? Consider the following:

In the brain alcohol produces "tetrahydroisoquinolines" or TIQ's. TIQ's so closely resemble opiods that they actually "trick" the brain into thinking this individuals opiod levels are normal. The alcoholic now feels good.

i dont drink often(well know im at school, its more than id like) but when i do, i extremely binge drink...i can have no happy medium...once the first sip hits, almost guaranteed blackout 8 hours later

Top Bottom