Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

ALA Hype: Gaining, cutting, or what?

ISN_Man

ALA has been in the supplement spotlight for a few years now but it seems as if all of a sudden, people are going crazy with it. A majority of the threads on this forum as well as others on the Elite Boards touch upon ALA supplementation and how it's extremely useful for people.

Now I've got a bunch of questions here reguarding ALA. I've already done a few searchs and have read a few threads with some decent info, but I'm still curious about a few things.

For one, is ALA usually set aside for people dieting or can you use it during a mass or gaining phase?

Secondly, what are the optimal times to be using it? Seeing it's releasing insulin, I'm gathering there's only a few times during the day that you want that release, like possibly in the morning, seeing you've been without nutrients for an extended amount of time, and post workout time, for obvious reasons!

Third, do people see a dramatic difference in their bodies in comparison with a dose under 1000mg to a dose over 1000mg?

Fourth, ideally, you'd want to only be taking ALA with meals that were higher in protein and carbs, while low/no in fat, correct?

And finally, perhaps I don't understand the whole idea behind a ketogenic diet as well as I thought I did, but through my research, I thought it was the process in which through carb restriction your body is forced to utilize fat and protein as an energy source, making your body release ketones. I don't know if I missed an important part there or not, but that's what I thought the basis was. Any how, how does ALA make you get into a state of ketosis faster than not using it?
(Sorry this is so long, but I'd greatly appreciate the replys)

For one, is ALA usually set aside for people dieting or can you use it during a mass or gaining phase?

• I would say both. ALA mimicks insulin, just as andros mimick test. So if you look at what body builders use insulin for, you will find that they use in for both cutting and bulking. All in all I would say that ALA is a better aid for fat loss then it is for wait gains. It removes sugar from your blood and shuttles it into your muscles. That is very desirable when one is trying to reach ketosis. This also makes you look very full and pumped when usually on a low carb diet you can start to look flat.

Secondly, what are the optimal times to be using it? Seeing it's releasing insulin, I'm gathering there's only a few times during the day that you want that release, like possibly in the morning, seeing you've been without nutrients for an extended amount of time, and post workout time, for obvious reasons!

• I take it half hour before morning cardio becuase it will bring your blood sugar level even lower. It's also good to take before or after work outs to.

Third, do people see a dramatic difference in their bodies in comparison with a dose under 1000mg to a dose over 1000mg?

• I take 750mgs a day. Results are not dramatic from ALA but you will feel a difference.

Fourth, ideally, you'd want to only be taking ALA with meals that were higher in protein and carbs, while low/no in fat, correct?

• Depends on if your bulking or cutting. Taking it with more carbs will give you a better insulin spike (pump), but you obviously you don't want to take a lot of carbs while cutting.

And finally, perhaps I don't understand the whole idea behind a ketogenic diet as well as I thought I did, but through my research, I thought it was the process in which through carb restriction your body is forced to utilize fat and protein as an energy source, making your body release ketones. I don't know if I missed an important part there or not, but that's what I thought the basis was. Any how, how does ALA make you get into a state of ketosis faster than not using it? (Sorry this is so long, but I'd greatly appreciate the replys)

• That's pretty much the main theory behind the diet. If you wanna know more check out my site. Go to "body" ...then "bodybuilding" ... then "my program".

I've been taking 750mgs for about 2 months now and just recently went up to 1000mgs. I definitely seen a difference in my pumps.Im not saying i did'nt feel anything at 750mgs, im just saying i felt more with 1000mgs......;)

Great stuff, regardless of bulking/cutting. No need to cycle it, it is not gear. Even if your idea of lifting is the remote control, you should take it everyday like any other anti-ox or vit.

Would 300 mg. of ALA before early AM cardio with ECA or NYC stack be a good idea?

:confused::confused:

I have never heard of the ALA before cardio argument before. It lowers blood sugar even more?

... Why not preworkout? Carbs come afterwards..

Would it be okay to take 300 mg. before cardio on REST days and 100 mg. before workouts and then 200 mg. after workouts on training days?

:confused::confused:

Im A student 20 5'10 190 lbs looking to bulk is 600 mg of ALA enough? Dont have $ to be taking HUGE doses..Please help me out thanks

ALA is not an insulin mimicker... It has insulin-like effects. For more info on the technical side, do a search under "Fonz" for his ALA thread -- it has just about everything you need to know in it.

The carb-sparing effects are most pronounced in the multi-gram range. I would say that ALA is more of a cutting agent than for use while bulking. If you're going into ketosis, it is possible to preserve most muscle, but it won't be a super-favorable environment for new muscle to grow in.

ALA has a short peak -- about 15 minutes, so it is necessary to take it with every carb-containing meal. I wouldn't go super-high on the carbs, but dietary ketosis is possible in the 300 grams of carbs/day range.

The lowest effective dose I've heard of for going into ketosis is about 1500 mgs/day; most that I know need to be somewhere between 2500 mgs - 3500 mgs. The only way to know if you're in ketosis is to go buy ketostix (about $8 for 50) and take the pee test 1x or 2x a day to see where you are at. You can feel like you are in ketosis, but you really don't know until you test. Anything below those levels are good for you, but you won't reap the carb-sparing effects of ALA.

I started at 1500 mgs/day for a week and still wasn't in ketosis. It wasn't until I hit the 2500 mg - 3500 mg/ day that I remained consistently in trace ketosis. My suggestion: buy bulk from BAC and take multigram dosages. In this range it really is pretty miraculous, less than that will give you very little results. I've lost about 10 lbs. in the last 3 weeks on it with no strength loss.

Fonz and rangerx know their shit about ALA; search their posts.

Top Bottom