Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

A controversial article

anthrax

MVP
EF VIP
copy/paste

INTRODUCTION
..... In my opinion and experience as a nutritional consultant in Natural Hygiene (I began studying nutrition in 1936), sequential eating represents the most advanced approach to understanding proper food combining.
After testing and retesting the concept on myself thousands of times, as well as on others, including the experience of Dr. Cursio, his family, his patients, as well as other Hygienic doctors - Dr. John Mega, Dr. Marvin Telmar, Dr. Anthony Penepent, etc.

FOOD COMBINING
Any quick digesting foods must wait till the slowest digesting foods leave the stomach before they can leave - a process which can take up to 6 or 8 hours. While waiting, the fruit, cooked and raw vegetables, and some of the starches undergo some decomposition and fermentation, producing gas, acid and even alcohol along with indigestion. .....

FOODS WITH SAME DIGESTIVE TIME
There are food groups which may be combined at the same course during a meal. These are foods which have the same approximate digestive time. .....

A RADICAL NEW CONCEPT OF DIGESTION
..... If there are 5 different types of food in the stomach at one meal, each eaten separately and in sequence, there will be 5 different kinds of digestion going on at the same time, each layer having different enzymes digesting each food, according to the needs of the food contained in that layer.

But when say 5 different foods are eaten at a meal, where each mouthful or bite is taken of a different food, then the entire stomach is filled with the same mixture. .....

ADVANTAGES OF REARRANGING THE SEQUENCE
One of my patients in my early days of practice absolutely refused to give up any of his accustomed, conventional, low-quality foods. In this case, feeling my hands completely tied, in desperation, I gave him all that he desired. The only change I made was to rearrange the sequence of his foods. Amazingly, all of his digestive problems vanished in just 3 days.

..... Another advantage of eating one food at a time is that the person's sense of taste is satisfied with much less - but when each mouthful consists of a different alternating variety, the appetite is constantly stimulated leading to the consumption of a far greater quantity of food eaten in each meal - far more than needed to meet bodily requirements.

SEQUENTIAL EATING REFERENCES
......Here in simple language is an explanation of P. 993 (Howell's Textbook of Physiology):
Grutzner fed rats morsels of food of 3 different colors. First the black, then the white second, and third the red color. Shortly after, the animals were sacrificed, the stomach frozen and then cut in sections. The different colored food was found to be in layers.
Here we have definite laboratory proof that food digests in a layered or strata formation - contrary to the common conception that all food eaten mixes in the stomach. .....

There was a famous case, written about by Beaumont, during the American Civil War, where a soldier received a gunshot wound which caused a large visible opening to appear in his stomach. His digestion was studied for a period of time by several doctors present, and they observed that his food digested in different layers.

SIMPLE TEST FOR ANYONE
One simple test that I used on myself was to eat different foods, one variety at a time, in sequence [all at one meal], for several different meals. Then when nature called, I examined the feces and was able to see different colors in the same feces. Watermelon which was reddish in color, was first, then tossed salad which was very dark brown was next, and cheese was very light tan was last. All were joined together, exiting the body in the same order as they were eaten.
Anyone can try this test, but to be accurate, the different foods must be eaten one at a time, and follow each other in sequence.

STRATA DIGESTION - A FORGOTTEN CONCEPT
..... What amazes me is that, even though, Henry Sherman believed in the strata formation of food in digestion, and Howell's Physiology book was published in 1941, to this day , almost every writer on nutrition as well as almost all doctors believe that everything you eat in a meal mixes together. How such an important concept as the strata digestion of food was bypassed and almost completely unnoticed for over 50 years since Howell's book was published, is a great mystery to me. .....

STOMACH - ILLUSTRATION
For purposes of illustration, I am presenting a diagram of the stomach and how 6 different foods eaten in sequence at one meal would form 6 different layers, during the time spent in the stomach.

In this diagram of the stomach, in layer 1, the bottom and first layer is where the first food eaten goes (the papaya). Layer 2 is where the 2nd food eaten goes (the tossed salad). Layer 3 is where the corn on the cob goes, etc. In this meal we are using 6 different foods, giving us 6 layers. ......

With this meal, after 30 min. the papaya will leave the stomach, and layer 2 - the tossed salad, will move down to layer one's place.
Layer 2 will shortly thereafter leave the stomach too.
Then the corn in layer 3 moves down and 15 min. later, it will leave the stomach
This is followed by the steamed vegetables almost immediately after.
Then, a baked potato (without butter - 60 min.) will stay 15 min more in the stomach and then leave.
Lastly, the rice + 1 tbs. lentils (layer 6) remains in the stomach for an additional 30 min. Leaving the stomach emptied.
Within close to 2 hours (counting chewing time), the entire meal has digested perfectly. Each food relished to the maximum with no discomfort or sluggishness afterward.

..... As each layer leaves, the stomach size gets smaller and feels more comfortable. Each layer digests separately, without mixing and without disturbing its adjacent layers.

BASIC RULE - WATERY FOODS FIRST
To simplify this concept of sequential or layered eating, the basic rule or principle can be stated as follows:
- Eat the most watery food first, the next less watery food second, etc., and end with the least watery and most concentrated food last and NEVER reverse this order of eating.

BAD COMBINATIONS TO AVOID
The following represents some examples of bad combinations to avoid

Mixing dried sweet fruit, honey, maple syrup or bananas with nuts or seeds, in the same dish, course or mouthful.

Mixing starch foods with fresh or acid foods or fruits, (as "fruit, lemons or vinegar with grains, bread, etc.)

Mixing dried sweet fruits with acid fruits.

Never eat dried sweet fruits with or after concentrated proteins (beans, fish, chicken, meat, etc.)

Eating raw, fresh or dried fruits after any cooked food (such as vegetables, starches or proteins) They can be eaten before, but never after cooked food.

Avoid drinking beverages or even water during or after meals. This dilutes the enzymes which digest the food.

CHEW ALL FOOD CLOSE TO LIQUID
For best digestion - chew all food close to a liquid before swallowing.

Also in the 14th edition of Howell's Textbook of Physiology on p.777 is some very interesting research:
Abbe Spallanzani (1729 - 1799), one of the older observers on gastric digestion, found that cherries and grapes, when swallowed whole, even if entirely ripe, were usually passed unbroken in the stools. "As proof that the triturating power (ability to reduce to a powder by rubbing or friction) of the stomach is not very great, he swallowed some wooden tubes made very thin, so that the slightest pressure would crush them, and they were voided uninjured."
This indicates the tremendous importance of thorough mastication of all food. We can assimilate only those foods which are most liquified. .....

EAT WITH ATTENTION
An excellent practice is to eat with 100% attention on the taste of the food. See Self-mastery through Attentive Eating .....

DIGESTION TIME OF VARIOUS FOODS
(approx. time spent in stomach before emptying). ........
Water
when stomach is empty, leaves immediately and goes into intestines,

Juices
Fruit vegetables, vegetable broth - 15 to 20 minutes.

Semi-liquid
(blended salad, vegetables or fruits) - 20 to 30 min.
Fruits

Watermelon - 20 min.digestion time.
Other melons - Canteloupe, Cranshaw, Honeydew etc. - 30 min.
Oranges, grapefruit, grapes - 30 min.
Apples, pears, peaches, cherries etc. - digest in 40 min.

Vegetables

Raw tossed salad vegetables - tomato, lettuces, cucumber, celery, red or green pepper, other succulent vegetables - 30 to 40 min. digestion. -

Steamed or cooked vegetables

Leafy vegetables - escarole, spinach, kale, collards etc. - 40 min. - Zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, string beans, yellow squash, corn on cob - all 45 min. digestion time
Root vegetables - carrots, beets, parsnips, turnips etc. - 50 min.

Semi-Concentrated Carbohydrates - Starches

Jerusalem artichokes & leafy, acorn & butternut squashes, corn, potatoes, sweet potatoes, yam, chestnuts - all 60 min. digestion.

Concentrated Carbohydrates - Grains

Brown rice, millet, buckwheat, cornmeal, oats (first 3 vegetables best) - 90 min.

Legumes & Beans - (Concentrated Carbohydrate & Protein)

Lentils, limas, chick peas, peas, pigeon peas, kidney beans, etc. - 90 min. digestion time
soy beans -120 min. digestion time

Seeds & Nuts

Seeds - Sunflower, pumpkin, pepita, sesame - Digestive time approx. 2 hours.
Nuts - Almonds, filberts, peanuts (raw), cashews, brazil, walnuts, pecans etc. - 2 1/2 to 3 hours to digest.

Dairy

Skim milk, cottage or low fat pot cheese or ricotta - approx. 90 min. digestion time
whole milk cottage cheese - 120 min. digestion
whole milk hard cheese - 4 to 5 hours digestion time

Animal proteins

Egg yolk - 30 min. digestion time
Whole egg - 45 min.
Fish - cod, scrod, flounder, sole seafood - 30 min. digestion time
Fish - salmon, salmon trout, herring, (more fatty fish) - 45 min. to 60 digestion time
Chicken - 1½ to 2 hours digestion time (without skin)
Turkey - 2 to 2 ¼ hours digestion time (without skin)
Beef, lamb - 3 to 4 hours digestion time
Pork - 4½ to 5 hours digestion time

EAT SMALLER AMOUNT - FEWER VARIETIES
The smaller the amount of a particular food eaten, the less is the digestive time for that food. The greater the amount of a food eaten, the more is the digestive time prolonged.

..... Remember the less you mix and the fewer the varieties you use, the easier it is to digest and the less you will be tempted to overeat. The greater the variety, the greater the tendency to overeat.
In experiments with dogs, - 1 variety was given, the dog ate and was satisfied. Another variety was given and he ate that too. Then another and he ate more. This continued till he was so loaded with food he could hardly move. Each new variety restimulated the appetite over and over again. .....

THE IMPORTANCE OF BLENDED SALADS
Due to the liquification of vegetables by blending:
1 - Absorption and assimilation of its vitamins, minerals proteins etc. is increased to approximately 5 times as compare to eating and chewing the salad.
2 - A blended salad will digest and leave the stomach in 15 to 20 min. compared to 30 to 60 minutes for a tossed salad eaten whole.
3 - To avoid oxidation during the blending, when the whirl-pool begins to form, stop the blender, pour it in a dish and begin to eat it. The oxidation is no more than when the salad is thoroughly masticated before swallowing.
4 - For people who have difficulty with handling of roughage (as in ulcers, colitis etc.), or digestion of raw food, blending it usually solves the problem.
5 - Since digestion and assimilation of vegetables becomes greatly simplified when blended, the energy saved on digestion can make the difference between lingering illness and rapid recovery in serious cases.

Conservation at energy in the digestive process is the key to all healing. (Success in healing is measured in terms of energy available. This was known by the early masters of Natural Hygiene) .....

BASIC PURPOSE IS SAVING ENERGY
..... Energy is the most important factor needed for recovery of health and it must be conserved at all costs and not wasted in unnecessary digestion. Sequential eating will maximize the conservation of energy without fail.

Try it - feel the difference - and you'll never go back to your old ways - I promise you that!

Functionally Illiterate

Maybe I read the article wrong, but it makes no mention of digestion occuring in the intestines. That leaves out thirty feet of chemical reactions unaccounted.

yep it made no mention of the intestines in there. I'm not sure what to think. I can't call b.s. he may have something there.

Sequential eating huh??

I think we have enough to worry about as far as diet is concerned - like what foods are acceptable and in what quatities, etc., - without worrying about the ORDER in which we eat them!!

This is just a little too extreme for me.....I can't imagine that the benefits of doing this could possibly compensate for what an incredible pain in the ass of an inconvenience it would be....

Eat....sleep....grow..... <-------- keep it simple

Why do you call bs on this? I used to be bulimic and yes, food absolutely positively digests in layers. When you vomit, you vomit in layers, even if the food has had a long time to churn. A bulimic can usually tell when thay are finished purging by what comes up last, being the first thing eaten. And at this point, the taste of bile would be present. Believe that. :sick:

Top Bottom