Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

.223 vs .308

p0ink

well, as some of you may know, i put down some money on a brand new AR15. and i am totally psyched about the assualt weapons ban expiring sept 14th...however, i am having second thoughts.

do i stay with a standard AR 15 or go for an AR style .308. i guess i have to weigh out firepower vs cost of ammo. i would start doing my own re-loads, but it is too expensive to get started in (a press, tools, etc), not to mention if you dont know what you're doing, you will be having some problems (most notably jams).

thoughts/opinions?

For self-defense ? I'd go with the .223 and 55gr soft point. Hunting ? Probably the .308 but that's really a matter of what caliber you like the most and for what purpose. I'm not a big fan of the AR-15 platform for the .308. I'd rather go with a FN FAL, cheaper and reliable. Cost is not really an issue with .308. It aint a wildcat caliber and there's lot of surplus ammo around.

For hunting, I'd go with a .223. You can pump a couple rounds into anything as big as a moose, and take it down. .308 is a little more expensive, and is quite a bit of fire power. You can't really use it on anything smaller than a mule deer, w/ blowing a gaping hole in it, and wasting some of that energy... .308's and rabbits/coyotes/white tails don't really mix. .223 just seems more usable in my opinion.

For me, my big game rifle is .308.
I had fun with .223 but never hunted with it.

Your other post mentions that you're interested in a short barrel, AR type rifle. If that's so, then go with the .223. You'll probably use it mostly for ranges of 100 yards and under, so the advantages of a cartridge like the .308 will not be that profound at those short distances. Plus, since you aren't yet reloading (yet), ammo is cheaper and cheap ammo is more readily available.

Colonel Ingus said:
Your other post mentions that you're interested in a short barrel, AR type rifle. If that's so, then go with the .223. You'll probably use it mostly for ranges of 100 yards and under, so the advantages of a cartridge like the .308 will not be that profound at those short distances. Plus, since you aren't yet reloading (yet), ammo is cheaper and cheap ammo is more readily available.

dude, you are smart, I am glad you found this place. We are glad to have you posting in here. welcome.

Sh4dowF4lcon said:
dude, you are smart, I am glad you found this place. We are glad to have you posting in here. welcome.

Thanks, glad to be here. Let's just hope it doesn't turn into one of those can-you-top-this forums.

Top Bottom