Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

16 years lifting - Need big change in program and need your help.

rep_set_match

Hi guys,

Been lifting for 16 years. Love it to death. Pretty good shape. Aprox 175cm (5 ft 8.9 in) and 91kg (200 lb). No idea about BF level, but that 6-pack is not far away. I bench 215kg raw without gear (aprox 474lb). I think it's pretty good since I have only tried doing below 4 reps and doing a single max rep lift twice in 5 years. I did 215 at that time but maybe I could do more if I trained on it. don't know. My overall strength is quite good. I could mention other stuff like complete deep dips (as deep you can go) with full stop with 85kg in belt (187lb) for 8 reps. At least I think it's good but I come from a tiny village and there isn't anyone to compare with so don't really know :p But If it's good or not is not why I posted this thread. It's to explain my type of training and how and why I need to change it.

I have now got a medical condition which MAY be related to my training. Or in other words, I may need to change it to get better and fix that thing. Thing is, I need to change my training from explosive failure fight to the death sets and reps. Because that is how I train, and always have trained. I do almost all sets to failure, and I reach for that 8 reps to put on more load next training. 8 reps is my carrot. When I reach 8 reps I can progress. I've done that for years and years and just I love it!! I can think about a lift for one week every day. Just psyking myself up. "Got to get that f**n 8 reps next time. Must get it!!".

My training pretty much looks like this:

Back, Traps, Biceps, Triceps, Squats: 5-8 reps, always to failure (or at least to the point where I just know there isn't a chance in hell I'll do another and stop, actually that is more often than the actual failure reps). I'll do 7-12 sets depending on muscle groups. Larger muscles, more sets. Do some variety to hit different parts of the muscle.
Calvs I'll do a 70 rep program I read from Nelson Montana. Read about it years ago. Think he called it: "Calves in 4 minutes". Workes well I think.
Shoulders I do 10-12 reps and same type of training as the other muscle groups, though more use of supersets to pump the shoulders maximum.

What I need to do now is to change that training to a more "bodybuilding program" or what you want to call it. Well at least that's what I think. I am under the impression that Pro builders don't go for failure in every set, and it's more about the actual lift is done with maximum consentration, contact in mucle and correct pace. Am I right? Will 10 reps on backs, traps, biceps and squats be more suitable for a pro builder than the 6-8 reps I am currently doing now?

I hope I have made my self clear. Can't really explain it well, but point is that I cannot anymore burst veins in my eyes doing crazy mofo lifts in the gym, but at the same time I do not want to loose those hard earned muscles I have built over the years, hopefully also I can keep most of my strength too. Well at least my lean mass. I dread the thought of loosing that. So how can I train differently, and still gain, but not going for the numbers on the bar but the gains in lean mass, doing my training in a more....eehhh....concentrated mather? Man, I really don't know how to explain it. Hope this makes any sence at at all. All opinions are welcome.

There is no one around here I can ask so I hope I can find the answer one EF.

Thanks.

Sure someone will chime in, just had to comment, 474 bench is massive dude and weighted dips weight as well, especially at 200 pounds, just interested to as what your deadlift and squat look like?

Sure someone will chime in, just had to comment, 474 bench is massive dude and weighted dips weight as well, especially at 200 pounds, just interested to as what your deadlift and squat look like?

I have never tried 1 rep on squat or deadlift. And due to some problems with my feet (which transferred further in to my knees and lower back) I have never really gone all the way with deadlift nor squat. Finally now this year I found a miracle worker that set me up with some inlay soles in my shoes which starting to eliminate my back problems. So I just started doing heavy squats and DL a couple of months ago. So far I did 230kg (507lb) for 7 reps in deadlift. And I did 220kg (485lb) in squat for 8 reps. I feel I have (much?) more in me in squats but my knees is still get'n used to it.

Thanks for your reply!

Nobody that wants to share their knowledge on the subject? If you don't have time to read my text because it is too long, in short I am asking how pro bodybuilders train in terms of execution of sets, number of sets and reps, training to failure etc. Generally speaking of course. I do understand that there is difference from person to person.....

Nobody that wants to share their knowledge on the subject? If you don't have time to read my text because it is too long, in short I am asking how pro bodybuilders train in terms of execution of sets, number of sets and reps, training to failure etc. Generally speaking of course. I do understand that there is difference from person to person.....

Haha, I'd chime in if you were an 18 year old kid at 170 pounds but man your lifting massive weights! I guarantee if you were training squat and deads harder you'd be even stronger in those. From how you described your workout it looks good, all I can do is speculate, but maybe its your diet that needs shifting and some added cardio to cut.

first of all, congrats on being flat out awesome.

that sucks that you have a medical condition that is impeding your workouts... major bummer. without more info though it's kind of hard to comment. do you have high blood pressure? an eye problem (e.g. glaucoma)? it sounds from your description like it's something that is going to require you to drop the weight down and that's going to make it tough to maintain mass at the level you're used to (i know... more obvious than helpful), but these are answers you should really be getting from your doctor.

i've said this before and i'll post it again, if you're a big guy and you don't have a doc that knows big guys find one asap. it should be it's own specialty... like somewhere between medicine and veterinary medicine. powerlifters and body builders have REALLY different bodies from average joes and you have to have a PCP that understands that. it's ok to (and you SHOULD) pepper your doctor with questions until you understand exactly what you can and can not do -- if your guy/gal is impatient, find someone who isn't an a-hole.

i know one but he's in the northeast and private pay, so that probably won't work for you. it takes some searching and trial and error but it's totally worth it. if it's your BP for example, you could ask someone to watch your levels while you lift and see where your cutoff is (like how hard you can push yourself without bumping up your pressure), but again, it's tough to know without knowing more about the problem. if you don't want to post it, feel free to PM me.

good luck! i hope you figure it out.

You were training for strength? I don't know anyone that trains for strength that goes to failure...very often or ever. Just something to think about.

But I don't see any real goals anywhere. Do you have any?

Thanks for the input guys.

First of all, a doctor up northeast to you bro is waaaaay west to me. I'm from a smaller country in Europe so wouldn't be much help :biggrin:

I'll try to elaborate a little bit about my condition. Since english isn't my mother tounge I won't be able to go in to the deeper technical medical stuff. But the problem is my pelvic floor musculature and some around laying other tiny musculature which is cramping. Been struggling with it for years now. Anyway, been to doctors in several countries, some of the best in the field in the world actually, so it's not the expertise that is lacking. I have a bullet proof diagnosis, and changing my training MIGHT help since I've tried many MANY other things and medications. They asked me to consider stop lifting weights but I'll rather die or live with this for the rest of my life. I just love it too much. But since I am at the same time so f**ing tired of this condition I thought I would give it a try to change my training so I hopefully get better (obviously along side with some medication +++).

FYI my blood values, blood pressure etc. is all good. It's about the pressure you create on those really heavy lifts which is the problem.

So basically what I would like is to not TOTALLY change my training, but just alter it slightly so that it is more about the muscles and less about the kg lifted.

So now that I have explained more about my condition I hope that someone can tell me how those massive buliders are training???

"b fold the truth": I am not training for anything. I am training for fun and to look good and to mess with some big kg once in a while. I know perfectly well how persons within the powerlifting community is training. I have even considdered it for me now in this time since powerlifters rearly go all the way in training. But personally I think it's a bit booring. I just like to have fin in the gym. But what I don't know is how those big mofo's BB are training. I mean I have watched many of their videos, but I don't know if they are pushing them selves all the way or if they are constantly laying a bit below their max on their sets for the benefit of having more to go on the next set.

It felt like Dorian Yates is training failure sets about 50% of the sets I've seen him do, but other BB videos I've seen have not showed the same intensity. Don't know. But I feel that there is a formula out there for gaining mass and it is more suitable for me right now due to my situation compared to my current program hence this thread.

Any help understanding how these guys train for mass is appreciated. Thanks.

I think a lot of it has to do with what your recovery abilities are...and that varies from person to person.

You can't live in a smaller European Country than I do :) Pretty sure I live in the Smallest Country in Europe.

I think a lot of it has to do with what your recovery abilities are...and that varies from person to person.

You can't live in a smaller European Country than I do :) Pretty sure I live in the Smallest Country in Europe.

Top Bottom