Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

16 year old promising sprinter need advice

raze

Hey guys,

A friends son is showing a lot of potential as a sprinter. He is sprinting competitively at a national level here in Aus and I was hoping that someone here might have some advice on resistance training. He is just starting out under his fathers guidance and I offered to make a post here and see if anyone has any advice based on their own experience. I was thinking a 5 x 5 program may be good but I am no expert on the needs of a sprinter so if someone here can give advice it would be much appreciated. He has pulled his hamstring during state competition on Thursday so he is on the recovery boat at the moment. Will a good resistance program reduce the risk of injury to the hamstring?

Thanks guys, appreciate the time spent to anyone who responds.

I never ran but played basketball and had a 56 inch vertical leap.. Guess sprinters would need the same explosiveness...all comes down to plymetrics and squats my friend!I'll post more when I wake up raze my Aussie buddy it's getting close to 2 in the morn! And yes I ran with gaze and co ; ))

Buy the westside book of methods and employ the conjugate system. He must get stronger to get faster and the westside method is the best strength development program there is imo.

use code joeb20 for 20%off at needtobuildmuscle.com

NTBM REP

I was on the track team back in the day as well. the best strategy would be to train explosion to get a good jump... using sleds is awesome to build a good core. but with sprinting you definately don't want to overwork the muscles or things will backfire

i would be very careful about spending too much time in the weight room and not enough time on the track.

I was on the track team back in the day as well. the best strategy would be to train explosion to get a good jump... using sleds is awesome to build a good core. but with sprinting you definately don't want to overwork the muscles or things will backfire

i would be very careful about spending too much time in the weight room and not enough time on the track.

This ^^^^ and like goat said, plyometrics.

Sprinters used to train in my college gym and they would alternate between strength and explosion/plyo days, and the track obviously.

When working upper-body, they focused on major muscle groups. Bench press, bent-over rows, pull-ups, explosive pushups (clapping before hitting the ground), etc.. They wouldn't run between sets but there wasn't much waiting around. Not waiting 2 minutes to pump out another 5 reps.

When in the gym: focus on explosive lifts like snatches, clean and jerks, jump squats, box jumps

On the track: sleds, parachute training, and sprinting of course

As I was about to post this, I found this video. Actually very similar to what I would see and what people have outlined here.

Workout in video above:
Barbell Jump Squats 2x6
Hang Snatches - 2x6
DB Press + Explosive Push-ups: 4 reps + 8 push-ups

I would think they may repeat this circuit? There are a ton of videos on youtube with lots of great info.

Top Bottom