Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Soy vs. Whey protien

Here a good article about soy protein.

If you remember many years ago,
weight gainers were the big thing and protein powders were out! Then, in like a storm
came the low calorie weight gainers (yeah right!), the criticizing of the high calorie diet,
and the inundation of whey protein. The trend is this—promote something, then dispel
it, promote it again, then dispel it. This way, the supplement companies always have
something “new” to bring to the market. I predict that very shortly there will be
resurgence in the high calorie diet. It might be slightly modified, but a high calorie diet
nonetheless. Supplement companies do not care really what the truth about
supplements really is—they will promote only what is “hot” and is making money. Back
to protein powders—is whey really better and are you getting what you pay for?

Studies have been done to assess any differences in weight gain between individuals
supplementing with whey protein, soy protein, or egg protein. SURPRISE, SURPRISE!
There were no differences whatsoever (statistically speaking) between the effectiveness
of the proteins. Remember, all three of these proteins are designed to stimulate
growth—albeit in chicks, calves, etc. So is one really better than another? Proponents
of whey say that it has an ultra high BV (biological value), exceeding by far every other
protein. One manufacturer claims that their protein has a BV of 168--over 50% better than
egg protein! Companies also claim that their whey protein is special because it has di-
and tri- peptides. They claim that these peptides enhance the immune system, and help
to greatly increase the BV of the protein. Another claim is that whey contains certain,
specific peptides that greatly enhance the immune system. Finally, it is claimed that
whey has a significantly higher amount of glutamine and the anti-catabolic branched
chain amino acids than any other protein. Are any of the above statements regarding
whey protein true? Yes, but only one. If processed correctly, whey will have small
amounts of peptides (lactoferrin, lactoperoxidase, immunoglobulin, etc.) that definitely
enhance the immune system. These peptides are NATURALLY OCCURRING and are
not created by hydrolyzing the protein (breaking large peptides into smaller ones). Many
studies have been completed regarding the effect of whey on the immune system and it
is generally recognized in the scientific community that whey positively stimulates the
immune system. The di- and tri- peptides that you’re continually hearing about
regarding whey have nothing to do with these naturally occurring peptides. If processed
using low heat, any type of whey including sweet whey (which is basically unprocessed)
will have these naturally occurring peptides. A hydrolyzed whey can have di- and tri-
peptides but these do nothing for the immune system, are not naturally occurring, and
are basically worthless to the bodybuilder! Although unmentioned in all the hype, whey
also has been shown to have a positive effect on a person’s cholesterol and triglyceride
profile. With long term use, characteristics like this become very important as to the
benefits of supplementing with a particular protein. As a note, several studies have
shown casein to have a negative impact on a person’s cholesterol profile!

Now let’s consider the other claims about whey—the ultra high BV, the di- and tri-
peptides, and statements about glutamine and BCAAs. This is where it gets interesting
and where the public is being deceived and manipulated. I have researched this topic
rather thoroughly and have talked to experts in the field who work for the actual
companies which manufacture and process the raw, bulk products. I have questioned
several experts as to the quality of the various proteins and have found a few interesting
facts. First and foremost, BV and PER are OUTDATED. The newest and most accurate
measurement of a protein’s quality for a HUMAN is the PDCAAS—Protein Digestibility
Corrected Amino Acid Score. A mouthful I know, and yet it is the industry standard.
According to this scale, whey is not necessarily the best protein. In fact, casein, egg,
soy, and whey are all considered a ONE (top score) on the scale. Does this mean that all
of the above proteins are equal? Not at all—I will discuss the pros and cons of each
protein later in the article. What it does mean is that all of the above proteins will supply
the BASIC BUILDING BLOCKS for proteinaceous tissue growth and recuperation as well
as the next one. I also inquired about hydrolyzation (breaking the proteins into smaller
fractions like “di and tri peptides”). What I found was that the hydrolyzed product
caused less nitrogen retention than a similar non-hydrolyzed whey. As a note: the
hydrolyzed product that I inquired about was the BEST in the industry with a 27%
hydrolyzation, no bitter taste, and at a cost from the manufacturer of greater than $8.00
per pound! Consider the above and you will quickly realize that supplement companies
(who don’t actually manufacture the whey but buy the raw product from an actual
manufacturer) are telling “some fibs” about whey protein. BV of 168--ABSOLUTELY
LUDICROUS!!!!!! Whey manufacturers sometimes still use BV and always rate whey
protein as a 94 BV! Thus, when you see this 168 BV listed on the label of several
manufacturer’s whey protein, just turn your head, know you’re being scammed, and
absolutely don’t buy!

If it doesn’t further increase nitrogen retention, then what’s the point of di- and tri-
peptides? There IS a good reason for hydrolyzing a protein and having short peptides
but it has nothing to do with BV/nitrogen retention. Instead, it has everything to do with
how FAST and EASY the product is absorbed in the gut. Regular, undigested whey will
be be broken down into di- and tri- peptides via enzymes in a person’s gut and will be
absorbed as such but the whole process just takes a little longer. Hydrolyzed products
are basically only useful in baby food or hospital situations where a person’s digestive
system is not functioning optimally or when protein delivery is needed very quickly. Is
there any benefit of a hydrolyzed product for the bodybuilder? To tell you the truth, I
would have to say NO except possibly for the benefit of having a quickly absorbed
protein immediately after a workout to ensure the muscle tissue is flooded with nutrients
in a timely manner. Finally, the cost of hydrolyzed whey is outrageous and its taste
(except that one top notch product) is ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE. Trust me, if you’re
trying to induce vomiting, just take a little hydrolyzed whey protein!

Isn’t the claim true about whey having significantly higher amounts of glutamine and
BCAAs? Sorry, but NO! Whey does have the highest amounts of BCAAs of any
protein but not SIGNIFICANTLY higher amounts. When it comes to the amounts of
glutamine, soy beats whey hands down. For every 100 grams of protein, whey has 20.1
grams of BCAAs and 4.9 grams of glutamine. Maybe to your surprise, soy has 18.1
grams of BCAAs and a whopping 10.5 grams of glutamine! Again, we have been lied to
and deceived. Of course it’s not hard to figure out why when you consider that soy
isolate is no more than one quarter the cost of a whey isolate. I think I am going to vomit
(too much hydrolyzed whey!!!!!!) You’re asking, what does all of this
mean to us bodybuilders?. I’ll tell you—you’re being ripped off ROYALLY! Most
companies are selling whey protein concentrate (WPC) and saying that their product is
ion-exchange, etc, etc. Let me explain a few more details. Ion exchange really doesn’t
mean anything in terms of the quality of the protein powder as a whole! Any high
quality, pure protein will be labeled an ISOLATE and this is what you MUST look for. A
true ion-exchange process CAN yield a good isolate but it is by far not the only process
around in order to get a superior whey protein. An isolate will have very little fat and
lactose and will be about 90% protein (the protein fractions are “isolated” from the rest of
the material). On the other hand, a WPC is vastly inferior with about 7% fat and lactose
and only 75% protein (The protein in WPC is usually pretty good but who wants to deal
with all of the fat and lactose?) Interestingly, WPC costs less than half of what an isolate
costs. Unfortunately, both products look and taste about the same so it becomes very
hard to know what you have—you basically have to trust the manufacturer (supplement
company) of the particular product. Here’s the picture—the industry through various
articles in muscle magazines touts the benefits and characteristics of a whey protein
ISOLATE and turns around and uses a CONCENTRATE. Tell me, who’s the wiser? The
supplement companies, that’s who, and they’re a whole lot richer to boot! Some
manufacturers will put 98% WPC in their product and then put in 1% of a hydrolyzed
product (remember this tastes horrible!) and 1% of an isolate. Then, they can legally
claim all types of stuff on their label—di and tri peptides, ion-exchange, blah, blah, blah!
Some of you guys are probably getting a little angry and are asking what can be done.
To start, read the ingredient list very carefully. Look for the terms WPC, Isolate,
Hydrolyzed, etc. Also, look at the nutritional specs. A true, high quality protein will
have just about zero fat and carbohydrates per serving. If it has even one or two grams
of fat or carbs per serving then you know you’ve been had with a WPC. To make
matters worse, experts in the field have told me that they have first hand evidence of
supplement companies totally mislabeling their product. If you purchase a product
through a retail outlet then all I can say is GOOD LUCK!

What about the other available proteins—egg, casein, and soy? How do these
compare? First, let me state that all of the above proteins are decent if processed
correctly. Each will provide the body very efficiently with the protein that it “needs”.
Before you say it, I know your response—“That’s all wonderful, but what is the best
protein for me, a bodybuilder/weightlifter?” If you were to use any ONE protein source
then I would have to say that it’s a toss up between a soy isolate and a whey ISOLATE.
WPC provides a good protein; however the accompanying fat and carbs is something
you do not want. If I had my choice, I would pick a soy isolate. A soy isolate is VERY
cheap, has the highest score on the PCDAAS, is very soluble if instantized, is extremely
bland (a good thing), IMPROVES kidney function (unlike any other protein), is
anticarcinogenic, is anti-estrogenic, lowers LDL (bad) and raises HDL (good) cholesterol,
IMPROVES THYROID FUNCTION, etc, etc—the list goes on and on. I would definitely
stay away from casein and eggwhite. Casein has been shown to have detrimental effects
on a person’s cholesterol profile and eggwhite protein tastes poorly, is expensive, and
consists of about 10% carbohydrates. I would have to say that the way to go is a 50/50
mixture of a whey protein ISOLATE and a soy protein isolate. Both of these proteins
have certain characteristics that the other one doesn’t. By combining the two, a product
could be developed that was very moderately priced with the highest PDCAAS score,
with no carbs or fats, with a significant amount of glutamine and BCAAs, with immune
stimulating, naturally occurring peptides, with anticarcinogenic properties, with
anti-estrogenic qualities, which improves kidney function, which stimulates thyroid
function (significantly), and which mixes instantly and tastes great. Tell me, how can this
be beat? Unfortunately, at this time, there is no such animal in the protein
supplementation market.

As a final note, please be sure that any protein you purchase is instantized. This
means that the protein will mix easily into a liquid like milk without clumping and sitting
on top. Instantization is worth its weight in gold as it prevents one from having to use a
blender in order to dissolve the protein into the liquid. Manufacturers/processors use
two methods to instantize. One is agglomeration which is the process of creating larger
and more irregular shaped particles. This will allow the liquid to “penetrate” the protein
powder, thus preventing clumping. The other method is to lecithinate the powder. With
this process, lecithin is sprayed onto the particles of protein. Lecithin, being an
outstanding emulsifier, will greatly decrease the surface tension between the liquid and
the protein, thus allowing the protein to easily dissolve. The best products on the
market are both agglomerated and lecithinated.

I can’t stress enough that everyone NEEDS to read the nutritional specifications on
the back of the label. This is where you can decipher (hopefully, if it’s truthful) if the
product is a WPC or an isolate. From what I have seen, whey isolates will sell for $40.00
or more retail for a kilogram (about 2 pounds). I truly believe that with all of the
scamming going on right now in the whey market, I would be inclined to purchase an
instantized soy protein isolate. Right now, soy protein is “out” with very few claims
about it. I believe, at this time, you have a better chance of getting what you pay for
with soy than with whey.

Top Bottom