Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

HELP!!! Best supplements to use?

shawn5416

Hello all,
I've been out of the bodybuilding scene for about 5 years now. I recently decided to get back into it. I had let myself go pretty bad, and now that I have a child on the way I want to be the physically fit dad and not the couch potato slob dad if you know what I mean. I have lost down to 229lbs through diet, cardio, and weightlifting, I started at 266lbs. so I am quite pleased with my results so far, I still would like to lose another 20lbs. My question to everyone is that since I have been out of bodybuilding so long I don't recognize half of the supplements that are out there on the market. I promised my wife that I would not use any gear, and I don't really want to either. So if anyone could tell me what is a good creatine to use(i've read the sticky on "everything to know about creatine"), the magnesium sounds the best, but please tell me if i'm wrong. Also, if there is any other supplements out there that would help me put muscle back on and increase strength(proteins, etc...) it would be greatly appreciated. I have done some looking on my own and I am leaning towards the AGX products. Any input would help and thank you for your time.

shawn5416 said:
Hello all,
I've been out of the bodybuilding scene for about 5 years now. I recently decided to get back into it. I had let myself go pretty bad, and now that I have a child on the way I want to be the physically fit dad and not the couch potato slob dad if you know what I mean. I have lost down to 229lbs through diet, cardio, and weightlifting, I started at 266lbs. so I am quite pleased with my results so far, I still would like to lose another 20lbs. My question to everyone is that since I have been out of bodybuilding so long I don't recognize half of the supplements that are out there on the market. I promised my wife that I would not use any gear, and I don't really want to either. So if anyone could tell me what is a good creatine to use(i've read the sticky on "everything to know about creatine"), the magnesium sounds the best, but please tell me if i'm wrong. Also, if there is any other supplements out there that would help me put muscle back on and increase strength(proteins, etc...) it would be greatly appreciated. I have done some looking on my own and I am leaning towards the AGX products. Any input would help and thank you for your time.
Let me first start off by saying "welcome back to the game." Your story sounds almost identical to mine. I was a pretty serious lifter in high school and college, but after getting married I didn’t enter a gym for 5 years and my weight sky rocketed up to 290 lbs. After my first son was born, I was apparently hit by the same brick as you. I was either going to set an example of a healthy lifestyle for my kids, or I was going to be a fat piece of shit that they would one day be embarrassed to be seen in public with.

But enough about me. Let’s answer your question because I was in the exact same spot several years ago. Here is what I have concluded to be the best supplement stack after a great deal of trial and error:

These supplements are non-negotiable absolute musts:
Protein Powder (whey, egg, and casein)
Multi-Vitamin (a good one designed for weight lifters, not the generic "1 a day" garbage)

These supplements have been pretty much proven to be effective over time, and are staples for most weight lifters (in other words, they are highly recommended, but not absolute requirements):
Creatine
L-Glutamine
BCAAs

These supplements can be classified as "junk science" and can be avoided:
Nitric Oxide
Prohormones (AKA testosterone boosters)

Take it or leave it:
ZMA (Zinc monomethionine aspartate and Magnesium Aspartate)

If you decide to start implementing any supplements, here are the optimal times to take them:

Wake-Up
• Multi-Vitamin
• Egg Protein
• L-Glutamine

Pre-Workout
• Whey Protein
• BCAA

Post-Workout
• Whey Protein
• Creatine
• L-Glutamine
• BCAA

Before Bedtime
• Casein Protein shake (mix with water - milk makes it way too thick)
• L-Glutamine
• ZMA

And I can toss out a few recommendations as to which supplements I have come to rely upon:

Protein - Optimum Nutrition
Multi-Vitamin - AST Multi-Pro 32X
Creatine - AST Micronized Creatine
L-Glutamine - Optimum Nutrition
BCAAs - Optimum Nutrition
ZMA - Cytodyne Z Mass PM (or Cyclo Z Mass)

for creatine i would suggest Rivalus' Encharge, i have been taking it for a few weeks and so far it's the best creatin i have taken.
here is the companies link if you want to check.
www.rivalus.net

congrats on the kid mate
have a look around this site for info on AGX products you will find heaps of positive feedback
pre workout supp amp02 is simply the best
a good protein such as ON whey is a must, bcaas is also a good additive, give glutamine peptides a try also
eat clean train hard and enjoy

PoweredUp said:
Let me first start off by saying "welcome back to the game." Your story sounds almost identical to mine. I was a pretty serious lifter in high school and college, but after getting married I didn’t enter a gym for 5 years and my weight sky rocketed up to 290 lbs. After my first son was born, I was apparently hit by the same brick as you. I was either going to set an example of a healthy lifestyle for my kids, or I was going to be a fat piece of shit that they would one day be embarrassed to be seen in public with.

But enough about me. Let’s answer your question because I was in the exact same spot several years ago. Here is what I have concluded to be the best supplement stack after a great deal of trial and error:

These supplements are non-negotiable absolute musts:
Protein Powder (whey, egg, and casein)
Multi-Vitamin (a good one designed for weight lifters, not the generic "1 a day" garbage)

These supplements have been pretty much proven to be effective over time, and are staples for most weight lifters (in other words, they are highly recommended, but not absolute requirements):
Creatine
L-Glutamine
BCAAs

These supplements can be classified as "junk science" and can be avoided:
Nitric Oxide
Prohormones (AKA testosterone boosters)

Take it or leave it:
ZMA (Zinc monomethionine aspartate and Magnesium Aspartate)

If you decide to start implementing any supplements, here are the optimal times to take them:

Wake-Up
• Multi-Vitamin
• Egg Protein
• L-Glutamine

Pre-Workout
• Whey Protein
• BCAA

Post-Workout
• Whey Protein
• Creatine
• L-Glutamine
• BCAA

Before Bedtime
• Casein Protein shake (mix with water - milk makes it way too thick)
• L-Glutamine
• ZMA

And I can toss out a few recommendations as to which supplements I have come to rely upon:

Protein - Optimum Nutrition
Multi-Vitamin - AST Multi-Pro 32X
Creatine - AST Micronized Creatine
L-Glutamine - Optimum Nutrition
BCAAs - Optimum Nutrition
ZMA - Cytodyne Z Mass PM (or Cyclo Z Mass)

You can put the ZMA in the category of junk science instead of prohormones. I don't recommend prohormones but they do work to some extent. Also try some of the supplements that you see on this site such as unleashed or dermacrine. Both are great products, as opposed to marketing garbage you see with Muscletech, BSN and the other usual suspects.

VPX...anything you can find at GNC is basically worthless and overpriced. They are all glorified Energy Pills with "SUPER SECRET" ingredients lol.

The way I look at it, unless its something like a protein bar, nothing you can find in GNC should be trusted or paid for just looking at cost alone.

Stick with the sups from AGX, Primordial Performance, Protein Factory, or there is a good ECA stack from SEN called Metabolic Fuel.

-Legacy

Top Bottom