Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Is Beta-Alanine worth it?

Sim882

Has any one used Beta-Alanine much? Is it worth it? What benefits/negatives did you find whilst using it?

Beta Alanine is pretty much the derivative of carnosine (the dipeptides and breakdown of carnosine). Carnosine is what BA is based around, and allows the body to stay in a positive muscle pH balance. So, carnosine, which is responsible for muscle fatigue, the burn and lactic acid. Carnosine soaks up the H positive ions. The more carnosine produced, the more "soak-up" and the further your muscles can work to max potential. BA boosts this up to 50% more, or so it claims. I have never tried it, but I might invest in it to stack with my creatine

it is the rate-limiter of carnosine.
Under normal conditions, beta-alanine is converted to acetic acid (check the wikipedia).

Havent tried it yet. The "tingle" could be neuropathic pain. Kinda fucked up if you ask me. Check it out:
Beta-alanine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Beta-alanine, provided in solution or as powder in gelatine capsules, however, causes paraesthesia when ingested in amounts above 10 mg per kg body weight (bwt).[4] This is variable between individuals. Symptoms may be experienced by some individuals as mild even at 10 mg per kg bwt, in a majority as significant at 20 mg per kg bwt, and severe at 40 mg per kg bwt.[4] However, an equivalent amount (equimolar) to 40 mg per kg bwt, ingested in the form of histidine containing dipeptides in chicken broth extract, did not cause paraesthesia.[4]

It is probable that the paraesthesia, a form of neuropathic pain, results from high peak blood-plasma concentrations of beta-alanine since greater quantities, ingested in the form of the beta-alanine / histidine (or methylhistidine) containing dipeptides (i.e. carnosine and anserine) in meat, do not cause the same symptoms. In this case the beta-alanine absorption profile is flattened but sustained for a longer period of time,[4] whereas, the beta-alanine samples in the studies were administered as gelatine capsules containing powder. This resulted in plasma concentrations rising rapidly, peaking within 30 to 45 minutes, and being eliminated after 90 to 120 minutes. The paraesthesia caused is no indication of efficacy since the published studies undertaken so far have utilised doses of 400 mg or 800 mg at a time to avoid the paraesthesia. Furthermore, excretion of beta-alanine in urine accounted for 0.60%(+/-0.09), 1.50%(+/-0.40) and 3.64%(+/-0.47) of the administered doses of 10, 20, or 40 mg per kg body weight,[4] indicating greater losses occurring with increasing dosage.

Well what do you think for 35 cents Australian per serve (so 33 US cents)? I'm imagining it would be pretty useless for low rep training, but high rep?

Beta-alanine, provided in solution or as powder in gelatine capsules, however, causes paraesthesia when ingested in amounts above 10 mg per kg body weight (bwt).[4] This is variable between individuals. Symptoms may be experienced by some individuals as mild even at 10 mg per kg bwt, in a majority as significant at 20 mg per kg bwt, and severe at 40 mg per kg bwt.[4] However, an equivalent amount (equimolar) to 40 mg per kg bwt, ingested in the form of histidine containing dipeptides in chicken broth extract, did not cause paraesthesia

Who else has experienced the paraesthesia/tingling?

it's shit...i scratch and tingle all over my body....

Top Bottom