Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Which board is closest...

I know that everyone has different strengths/weaknesses and different ROM on their bench, but I am curious for you which board press is closest to your shirted/paused bench? Also, about how much difference is there between boards for you with the same grip? Like how many pounds more than your 3-board is your 4-board and whatnot. I just want to get an idea for what everyone's difference is.

Hm...I'm gonna guess this is gonna be two board for most people?

I have a stronger lockout though, so if I competition grip extra wide, than my numbers jump. So apples, to apples, I'd say wide gip 2 board is most comparable to my wide grip comp bench...don't see how it would make sense any other way.

Well this may sound kinda screwed up but so far my 3 Board is higher than my 5 board. Thursday on ME Bench I hit 405 on the 3 board... Three weeks ago on DE Bench day after speed bench I hit 5 board Press and 315 for 2 was as high as I could go...I don't know if my tris were just already so fatigued from speed bench with bands or what, but it really made me wonder. But I have noticed the same with rack lockouts...I have done them the past 2 weeks after speed bench for and 8 inch lockout, and this week only got to 365 x2.. Whereas before I began training WSB I had done Racklockout as my primary chest movement for a couple weeks and went around 525 at this height and 600 a couple pins heigher...

So this week I'm gonna give 2 Boards a try on ME day and see what happens...

The board presses are very difficult, much harder than a shirted bench with the same weight.

I can shirt more than I can get with the 2,3, or 4 board.

The board presses are tough because you have to restart the bar after it comes to a full stop and the weight in bearing down on your chest. A good bench shirt will give the lifter a good spring upwards where the boards will make the lift HARD when paused properly on the boards.

well i guess i'm just weird I stil havn't lifted in a shirt but my comp grip bench is 2-4 inches away from the smooth(depending how i feel that day) and yes my grip is close but i can't help it it's the way i bench. Anyway i can pause the same amount off my chest raw than i can on the 5 board. :confused:

i have been experimenting with using bands instead of just raw weight on the board presses. i believe this brings the exercise to a new level.

with raw weight boards, you only have to break the weight off the bottom and it USUALLY will go up due to you having more leverage etc, but with the bands, your triceps are constantly having to 'outrun' the bands because the further up you go, the more tension gets added.

i believe this makes this exercise much more effective than raw weight alone. of course, i got this from halbert's video so i can't take credit for it.

/irish

spatts said:
Hm...I'm gonna guess this is gonna be two board for most people?

I have a stronger lockout though, so if I competition grip extra wide, than my numbers jump. So apples, to apples, I'd say wide gip 2 board is most comparable to my wide grip comp bench...don't see how it would make sense any other way.

When you say wide, how wide do you mean? Do you go as wide as the rules allow you to go when you compete? (I cant remember the maximum width grip allowed).

Imnotdutch said:

When you say wide, how wide do you mean? Do you go as wide as the rules allow you to go when you compete? (I cant remember the maximum width grip allowed).

I guess I'm not going to get an answer here huh??????

BUMP

Think this is what Imnotdutch was referring to.

And the competition grip she's referring to is index finger on the rings.

Our understanding is that's the maximum width you can use.

Top Bottom