Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Should You Train High Or Low Reps Depneding On Your Type?

cytrix

do you think you should be training MOSTLY regarding your muscle fiber type, high reps/50-70 sec. time under tension if you are predominantly slow twitch and lower reps/low tension time if you are mostly fast twitch? or should you train EXCLUSIVELY depending on your muscle fiber make up? and why?

can you please explain this some more? i read somewhere that if you have predominantly slow twitch fibers and don't get enough time under tension by doing about 12-15 reps/2sec up/2sec down totalling 50-70 sec, you will not progress as well.

i have been training for several years, but i think i have a good percentage of slow twitch fibers and i really haven't gone for more reps (or a longer tension time) until a couple of weeks ago, and i thought it might be the reason i did not improove in size as i could have.

Even if you have more slow-twitch fibers, for size you need to train those fast twitch fibers you do have, so I would keep going for low reps high weight.

i just read an article on this subject in my new ironman magazine, and they say you should train most of your sets in the range that works the fibers you have most of, but that it's important to do all rep ranges, so you also cover the remaining fibers. they mention that people who have more slow twitch fibers than average have the kind of fast twitch fibers that need a slightly longer tension time (50-60 sec), whereas people who have less slow twitch fibers than average have the kind of fast twitch fibers that require less tension time (between 24-35 and 35-42 sec).

I remember explaining this before but what the hell. That article in ironman is complete bollox if that's what it says. Even if you are 80% ST you should still train for FT growth. No matter how many ST fibers you have they simply cannot do the things FT's can. They can't produce maximal force, synchronization, use ATP/CP energy system, increase explosiveness, maximize neural output, or another shitload of things. FT's have a much higher potential for size than do ST's and also have the greatest contractile:non-contractile ratio which makes them more "functional". You can also make yourself more FT by training for FT growth. No, you don't make new fibers you make your FT oxidative fibers more glycolytic. This means they can produce more force, amd basically become FT. And there are these contractile protein chains MHC IIX which are just inactive muscle fibers just waiting to be coverted to either FT or ST, and how you train is what determines what they become. Train for FT they become FT, train for ST they become ST. And blah blah blah.......

Top Bottom