Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Did Jay Cutler deserve to win Mr. Olympia?

Did Jay Cutler deserve to win Mr. Olympia?

• Total voters
Nelson Montana said:
I've seen three bodybuilding competitions in the last 25 years.

The first being when Arnold lost to Sergio Oliva at the Brooklyn Academy of Music in 1969. (I was just a wee tyke).

The next was when I entered the 1999 NPC.

The last was the 2004 Night of Champions where I had an invitation from some industry folk.

I just don't get it. The judging is subjective as it is in any beauty pagent. The 2004 show was more poorly run than the 1969 show. It's really kinda silly and frankly, quite boring after about 15 minutes.

There's no logic behind voting for aesthetics because then what you have is essentially a male modeling revue. Guys in the audience would be bigger than the contestants.

Competitive bodybuilding has no superstar -- no one with charisma. No spokesman. Then again, when Arnold did it, he was enlightening the public about the benifits of exercise. What are the guys today going to do? Advocate more exposure for the use of horse hormones?

Pros have no right to bitch about lack of money. How can you expect to make money from 2 performances a year? And ones which almost no one gives a fuck about. The supp companies barely make their money back. It's more for the advertising at the symposiums.

Competitions are just an outdated spectacle with no novelty left to it -- like jugglers, ventrilaquists and parades. It just doesn't cut it anymore.

But as they say, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

i agree that bodybuilding has lost its luster. Now everyone can see how much Arnold did for the sport. But the sport has changed now and is viewed differently.

Nelson Montana said:
I just don't get it. The judging is subjective as it is in any beauty pagent. The 2004 show was more poorly run than the 1969 show. It's really kinda silly and frankly, quite boring after about 15 minutes.

There's no logic behind voting for aesthetics because then what you have is essentially a male modeling revue. Guys in the audience would be bigger than the contestants.

Competitive bodybuilding has no superstar -- no one with charisma. No spokesman. Then again, when Arnold did it, he was enlightening the public about the benifits of exercise. What are the guys today going to do? Advocate more exposure for the use of horse hormones?

Pros have no right to bitch about lack of money. How can you expect to make money from 2 performances a year? And ones which almost no one gives a fuck about. The supp companies barely make their money back. It's more for the advertising at the symposiums.

Competitions are just an outdated spectacle with no novelty left to it -- like jugglers, ventrilaquists and parades. It just doesn't cut it anymore.

But as they say, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

It's pretty much my opinion too. Bodybuilding is poorly run, and bush-league at best. Contestants meeting scheduled for 9am? Show up by noon. Prejudging scheduled for 10am? It happens at 1pm. Bodybuilding contests are likely the most poorly run events I've ever seen in sports.

And need I remind anyone that roughly a decade ago the premier contest in bodybuilding was hosted by a fucking Elvis impersonator. How credible is that to the general public?

The Ms.O didn't generate enough ticket sales so it had to be combined with the Mr.O, and even then, a high-school football game has a higher attendance.

c3bodybuilding said:
So sad yet so true! Bodybuilders gets paid nothing compared to other pro athletes. The money is there, it's just all in the suppelment makers pockets, lol. All jokes aside though, the above is one of the most true posts I've read in a good long while.

THe money is in the endorsements, I'm sure that the big BB's are fine, all the money just comes to them through the supp endorsements

I think moving more to a Dexter Jackson kind of physique would be a good thing for BBing.

Really I think they need to change it to be more like a Miss America Pageant, showing many more aspects of a person (just a little humor, don't rip my head off hear me out here)

You could add a lot to the competition to make it more interesting. What about a contest that combines physique with stamina, strength and agility???

You could get creative with this, but even if you just added:

Stamina: APFT (army physical fitness test, pushups in 2mins, situps in 2 mins, 2 mile run) and I would say add pullups in there too.

Strength: Some wieght lifting tests (max sqaut, bench and clean/ clean-jerk)

Athleticism: An agility obstical course, have some climbing, some jumping, some quick direction change, and even a vertical jump test.

Physique: Basically how mr. O is supposed to be judged now.

You could make each of the 4 areas worth 25%, that's what I would like to see. Or Physique could be 50%, and the other areas could combine to make up 50%. You could even do it by points, lowest points wins. First place in an event, 1 point, second place 2 points etc. etc....

This would be a competition I would watch. You could get it televised, you could make it a weekly show like the Ultimate fighter or something.

It was a qualitative decision, so yes he should have won.

I really don’t like the growth gut on either of those guys.

Ronnie is bigger, stronger but is a freak of nature and gear, Jay is fricken huge but has the potential to look great, too big now. See in five years.

I like the old guys Like Arnold and his 32 inch waist or Steve Reeves and his 29 inch waist.

jimmy04 said:
n e way its bodybuilding not body shaping.

Bodybuilding is composed of three aspects . . symmetry, size, and proportion.

This is how it is supposed to be judged . .

Bodybuilding only refers to the ability of developing the body.

Building the body's symmetry, size, and proportion is bodybuilding.

solidspine said:
It was a qualitative decision, so yes he should have won.

I really don’t like the growth gut on either of those guys.

Ronnie is bigger, stronger but is a freak of nature and gear, Jay is fricken huge but has the potential to look great, too big now. See in five years.

I like the old guys Like Arnold and his 32 inch waist or Steve Reeves and his 29 inch waist.

IMO Steve Reeves has the most desireable physique of all time

NickyE3 said:
i agree that bodybuilding has lost its luster. Now everyone can see how much Arnold did for the sport. But the sport has changed now and is viewed differently.

Did he? Where is it now? I mean...who did more for the other? Arnold earns more than every pro bodybuilder put together right now....

the majority of supplament buyers are caucasion, so it only makes since that a white man wins so the industry would do better (this is comming from one of the judges i knew).....but i still thought cutler looked better and disserved it.

Top Bottom