Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Thermos

My mom had tried some type of a thermogenic diet pill a year ago and developed an infection in her thyroid. It swelled up and she was in extreme pain. Plus, she gained a bit of weight from the disturbance in her thyroid. I don't remember what the product was, but I believe it was from Ultimate Nutrition.
Since then, I've been extremely paranoid about using any thermogenic formulas. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? I have used plenty of thermos before and never had a problem. What is the ingredient that may have caused this or is it the overall effect that the product has on one's body?

Well, that was really the only thing that changed in her lifestyle at the time the infection sprouted. Then she went off of it, gave her body some time to recoup and eventually she was fine again. Her doctor also linked the cause of infection to the pills... but then again, when it comes to that kind of stuff doctors don't ALWAYS know what they're talking about. They're quick to blame supplements.

I'm guessing by that reaction you've never heard of something like this happening before?! I guess I shouldn't have too much reason to be concerned since I've never had a problem.

NEVER heard of that happening, but I am no MD. I have been taking some form of thermos (off and on) for about 8 years. Never an issue, not once.

And you are right about always blaming supplements.....which is why many are banned now.

ashley2212 said:
Well, that was really the only thing that changed in her lifestyle at the time the infection sprouted. Then she went off of it, gave her body some time to recoup and eventually she was fine again. Her doctor also linked the cause of infection to the pills... but then again, when it comes to that kind of stuff doctors don't ALWAYS know what they're talking about. They're quick to blame supplements.

I'm guessing by that reaction you've never heard of something like this happening before?! I guess I shouldn't have too much reason to be concerned since I've never had a problem.

Thyroiditis?

Unless she had a Thyroid panel blood test done before and after the pill I don't know if there is postive way for the doctor to know.

Did she have a history of thyroid problem symptoms?
What are her current symptoms?
And has she had a Thyroid panel done?
Is the doctor treating her? If so, how?

velvett said:
Thyroiditis?

Unless she had a Thyroid panel blood test done before and after the pill I don't know if there is postive way for the doctor to know.

Did she have a history of thyroid problem symptoms?
What are her current symptoms?
And has she had a Thyroid panel done?
Is the doctor treating her? If so, how?

This happened about a year ago. Yes, it was thyroiditis, I believe. She had never had any thyroid problems before. All I know is, her thyroid swelled up and she was in a lot of pain for about a month or 2. She did go on medication to cure the problem, though I'm not sure what it was. I'm sure she had plenty of tests done since she was in and out of the doctor's office a lot during that period of time. She is not one to let things slide by without knowing exactly what's going on.
I will ask her more about it later. I didn't realize the discussion would get this deep, but it's a good thing! I'll be back with more info about it ;)

You can be pretty sure it wasn't the thermogenic that caused the thyroiditis. More likely it was a side effect of crash dieting or some other stressful event or infection that caused her immune system to get "trigger happy". Still, it would be interesting to know what type of thyroiditis it was and how it was diagnosed.

In cases of autoimmune disease, it is fair to say that doctors rarely have any idea what caused it, and it is irresponsible to blame it on the thermogenic when there is a complete lack of any evidence that thermogenics have caused this problem in other folks in spite of the wide-scale use of these drugs.

MS said:
You can be pretty sure it wasn't the thermogenic that caused the thyroiditis. More likely it was a side effect of crash dieting or some other stressful event or infection that caused her immune system to get "trigger happy". Still, it would be interesting to know what type of thyroiditis it was and how it was diagnosed.

In cases of autoimmune disease, it is fair to say that doctors rarely have any idea what caused it, and it is irresponsible to blame it on the thermogenic when there is a complete lack of any evidence that thermogenics have caused this problem in other folks in spite of the wide-scale use of these drugs.

She said it seemed to be too much of a coincidence that almost as soon as she started taking the pills she had thyroid problems. She's always crash dieting and such, so that may make sense. However, I've noticed something interesting...

Let me refer you to this recent post about T3... http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showthread.php?t=338668

A lot of these thermogenics have T3 in them. As many people are saying in this post, it can mess with your thyroid. It seems that this was most likely the problem - the T3 - not the thermogenic itself.

OTC thermogenics DO NOT have T3 in them. There is not ONE thermo that has T3 in it. T3 is a totaly separate medication. Unless she was ALSO taking T3 (a separate pill), there is no way her thermo had T3 in it.

Top Bottom