Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

The rest/pause training technique

RottenWillow

Plat Hero
Platinum
I never hear anyone in this or any other training forum mention using it anymore so considering it's one of my favorites I thought I'd write a quick primer on it.

Rest/Pause is by no means a new technique. It was probably most recently "rediscovered" by Mr. Heavy Duty Mike Mentzer.

With this technique the athlete extends the workset beyond momentary muscular failure (MMF) by peforming as many reps as she can in perfect form and then resting 2-4 seconds at the top of the movement to enable 1-2 more reps also in perfect form. This addition of just a few reps increases the intensity of the workset significantly.

It should be noted that this method resembles forced reps in that it enables the athlete to push significantly beyond MMF, but does not require the assistance of a training partner.

The reader should understand that that using this technique means the total set volume must go down in order to avoid overtraining. Anecdotally I've noticed that two worksets of 2-3 rest/pause reps each requires the same number of recovery days as 4 worksets without rest/pause.

Advantages of rest/pause include a shorter workset (due to reduced set volume), it can be used by those of us training without a partner and, in my experience, it is equally as effective at eliciting muscular hypertrophy as traditional higher set volume programs.

Perhaps The Shadow will weigh in on rest/pause as it relates to time under tension.

RottenWillow said:
I never hear anyone in this or any other training forum mention using it anymore so considering it's one of my favorites I thought I'd write a quick primer on it.

Rest/Pause is by no means a new technique. It was probably most recently "rediscovered" by Mr. Heavy Duty Mike Mentzer.

With this technique the athlete extends the workset beyond momentary muscular failure (MMF) by peforming as many reps as she can in perfect form and then resting 2-4 seconds at the top of the movement to enable 1-2 more reps also in perfect form. This addition of just a few reps increases the intensity of the workset significantly.

It should be noted that this method resembles forced reps in that it enables the athlete to push significantly beyond MMF, but does not require the assistance of a training partner.

The reader should understand that that using this technique means the total set volume must go down in order to avoid overtraining. Anecdotally I've noticed that two worksets of 2-3 rest/pause reps each requires the same number of recovery days as 4 worksets without rest/pause.

Advantages of rest/pause include a shorter workset (due to reduced set volume), it can be used by those of us training without a partner and, in my experience, it is equally as effective at eliciting muscular hypertrophy as traditional higher set volume programs.

Perhaps The Shadow will weigh in on rest/pause as it relates to time under tension.

same as a drop set.....imo anyway

Interesting. This technique is DEFINATELY useful for those without traiining partners (as you mentioned). I like it, will have to try it. :)

(RW, was thinking about you the other day when I was watching Buffy - the episode where Willow "goes bad" and flays Warren)

rest pause is a different monster if you are talking about DC training. With RP's in DC training, you actually rack the weight for a 20 count and then continue. VERRRY intense! when each rep takes a 4 count negative, you only do one work set with 2 additional RP's. the total rep scheme is usually 8-3-2.

FUN!

The Shadow said:
same as a drop set.....imo anyway

OK Man of Few Words. :cornholio:

I suspect though that a lot of people would disagree with the assertion that drop sets are equivilant to extending a set by rest/pause. I can see how you'd peceive it that way if you feel TUT is the primary determinant of the training effect.

Daisy_Girl said:
Interesting. This technique is DEFINATELY useful for those without traiining partners (as you mentioned). I like it, will have to try it. :)

(RW, was thinking about you the other day when I was watching Buffy - the episode where Willow "goes bad" and flays Warren)

I think rest/pause is an unexploited resource. I remember reading ages ago that a muscle can recover as much as 50% of his performance capacity against a given resistence after just 3-4 seconds of rest. I particularly love them for squats as you can really rest the working muscles without reracking.

And Warren was quite the bastard. I enjoyed seeing him get his!

bignate73 said:
rest pause is a different monster if you are talking about DC training. With RP's in DC training, you actually rack the weight for a 20 count and then continue. VERRRY intense! when each rep takes a 4 count negative, you only do one work set with 2 additional RP's. the total rep scheme is usually 8-3-2.

FUN!

Nate, what's been your experience with DOMS after having done a lot of accentuated negatives? I read once that really prolonged negatives can greatly increased muscle soreness.

RottenWillow said:
OK Man of Few Words. :cornholio:

I suspect though that a lot of people would disagree with the assertion that drop sets are equivilant to extending a set by rest/pause. I can see how you'd peceive it that way if you feel TUT is the primary determinant of the training effect.

Tell me how you view that differently....even in Nates example...you do all out reps until failure...recover for a few seconds...rep again....rest and recover and rep again....and TUT is factored in the as the eccentric part of the rep should be the 4 second count (that is part of the 2 sec postitive and 4 sec negative rep that most who use TUT believe in as well.)

the only difference is that in a drop set, the weight is lightened to keep a slightly higher target rep range os the drops...

DO......Rest pause:

1 - you get target reps
2 - rest
3 - rep out again
4 - rest
5 - rep again

Drop sets:

1 - target reps
2 - rest
3 - rep again
4 - rest
5 - rep again

...the number of reps is the only difference...and that can be varied to modifying the percentage on the drops for the drop sets

Both are very effective ways to prolong or extend the sets

RottenWillow said:
Nate, what's been your experience with DOMS after having done a lot of accentuated negatives? I read once that really prolonged negatives can greatly increased muscle soreness.

....when I concentrate on negatives, my soreness level increases dramatically, both in intensity of the sorness as well as the duration....

....same thing applies to me if I extend a set with static holds

The Shadow said:
Tell me how you view that differently....

I dont. I was giving you the floor to address that view.

The argument I've heard is that drop sets are less productive for building strength than rest/pause.

Top Bottom