Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Theoretically, if you you can bench lets say 300 #'s but

CO B-man

then you loaded your bar with 350#'s and did a set of ten WITH A SPOTTER. Do you claim that you can bench #350 #'s?

I dont.

I think this is the same theory as Dj is talking about with his bounce theory. Even though he lacked tact and called 99% of the lifters assholes and only 1% are of the elite in his book. I understand his theory and strive to always use smooth constant motion and if I am bouncing at the end where I am using the heaviest of weights I am using gravity as a "Spotter"

Equipoise
Deca
Test There I mentioned sterroids!

CO B-man said:
then you loaded your bar with 350#'s and did a set of ten WITH A SPOTTER. Do you claim that you can bench #350 #'s?

I dont.

I think this is the same theory as Dj is talking about with his bounce theory. Even though he lacked tact and called 99% of the lifters assholes and only 1% are of the elite in his book. I understand his theory and strive to always use smooth constant motion and if I am bouncing at the end where I am using the heaviest of weights I am using gravity as a "Spotter"

Equipoise
Deca
Test There I mentioned sterroids!

I consider a small bouce fine, even though I dont do it, a bigger bounce I notice can sometimes cause some instability with heavier weight and actually ends up hurting you more the helping you. And no, if someones helping you move with weight then i dont consider you being able to bench that amount. Lets say someone did 9 reps and got a couple light fingers help for the tenth, and claimed he did 10, then I'm fine with that. But I see dudes do all their reps with help from a spotter. Thats a no go. And I dont see why someone would even want to do that all the time. stupid.

stressman13 said:
I consider a small bouce fine, even though I dont do it, a bigger bounce I notice can sometimes cause some instability with heavier weight and actually ends up hurting you more the helping you. And no, if someones helping you move with weight then i dont consider you being able to bench that amount. Lets say someone did 9 reps and got a couple light fingers help for the tenth, and claimed he did 10, then I'm fine with that. But I see dudes do all their reps with help from a spotter. Thats a no go. And I dont see why someone would even want to do that all the time. stupid.
Thats exactly my thoughts. I think this is what DJ_UFO is alluding to but at the end you have to push judt a little more whether you need a spotter (Gravity or a person). Really you are not pushing yourself if you are not struggling at the end of your set. And you may need a liitle bounce or help from a spotter.

Anyway, to call 99% of lifter A$$holes maybe not so cool cause nobody pushing themselves will do all their reps perfectly but at the same time I see his point

If somebody so much as touches the bar (fingertips, whatever), the rep doesn't count, end of story. Benchin' isn't a tag team sport.

If your ass goes so much as 1 centimeter off the bench, the rep doesn't count. Any type of bounce that would negate a rep is the type where the ass comes off the bench.....those guys should just do declines because thats what they turn the lift into when they do that.

Last edited:
Mr.X said:
4 plates with a spotter is still 4 plates ;)
but you can not claim you can bench those four plates if you needed a spotter to do all your reps. I could put 400#'s on my bar and if my spotter is lifting 75#'s of it I cant rightfully claim that I can bench 400#'s

I don't think I could bounce the bar off my chest if I wanted to. I've spent so long learning to wind up the tension as I control it down that I'd do myself an injury if I tried to bounce it.

The spotter's job is to save your life not do the lift for you. If he touches the bar at all then it's a failed lift, no matter how much you curse him afterwards for stepping in too soon.

Here's an interesting study done on the partner-assisted benchpress:

Partner Assisted Bench Press

Contrary to popular belief, the Partner Assisted Bench Press PABP actually originated in Berlin Germany in the year 1935 by accident. (1) A monogamous couple, Anita Spaht and Ken I. Spaht, were training for the Olympics in their hometown the prior year. Anita was attempting to perform multiple repetitions on the flat bench with a weight too aggressive for her ectomorphic frame to accommodate. Out of necessity, she reluctantly requested Ken's assistance as she completed partial, multiple sets and repetitions. (1) It was the following 2 days after that workout when Ken noticed delayed onset muscle soreness in his, traps, biceps, and lower back. (2) He then began to incorporate PABP's into his routine to assist in maximizing hypertrophic changes and strength gains in both his squat and his deadlift. He later decided to decline his qualification number in the 1936 Olympics and take up bodybuilding.
It wasn't until the year 1975 when the PABP became recognized in the United Sates. Individuals became bigger, stronger then ever, especially with anabolic enhancement. In the late 1990's until present time, popularity increased exponentially. This was largely due to the opening of numerous fitness facilities across the country. Electromylogram studies illustrated the majority of the muscles used are the paraspinals, biceps brachii, upper portion of the trapezius, gluteus maximus, and the rhomboid major. (3) Biopsy studies showed an increase in the cross sectional diameters of type 1 as well as type 2 twitch fibers. (3) What is advantageous is that it requires minimal effort on the athlete that is receiving the spot so he or she does not spend the energy requirements of the rest of their strenuous workout. (3)

1. Spaht I. Kenneth, Coyle EF, Fink WF, et al: Adaptations in Skeletal muscle following strength training. J Appl Physiol
1979:46, 96-99.
2. American College of Sports Medicine: Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription, ed 5. Baltimore, Williams & Willkins, 1995.
3. American College of Sports Medicine: The recommended quality and quality of exercise for The Assisted Bench Press Med Science Sports Exerc 1990;22(2):265-274.

when I go for 405 or more, I have a spotter stay wit the fullrange of motion. but only help meif I get stuck. sometimes he helps me out a lil when I go over 4 reps. Does this mean I cant bench 405+ for reps? some people like a sense of security. also a spottter gives u a placebo efect

At 300 lbs,

the tendons and ligaments in my elbows and shoulders would collapse and crush,

and never be able to be repaired surgically.

Too much weight for my size and age

Top Bottom