Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

"Crap, I hurt my back again."

stilleto

ELITE MENTOR
EF VIP
This advice is too good not to have members take notice. it's also a common problem, so i'm leaving it up here for a bit.

coolcolj said:
situps? That means you have tight hip flexors and posas - situps make it worse, combined with all the sitting you do :)
Stop doing situps!!

Tight hip flexors, inhibt the glute from firing, so the lower back starts to become over active. Your glutes should feel it when you walk, not your lowr back. I.ve been there before

try this in the morning and after anytime you sit for a while and before training to
lossen up the hip flexors and activate the glutes, which will reelas pressure off your back. The glute should do all the work

do a quad/hip flexor stretch like this at medium intensity

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/images/golf_stretching_quad.gif

after about 20secs, you should feel your hip flexors start to relax. You keep holding the stretch after the 20secs, and the start contracting the glutes at moderate intensity so the upper thigh moves back slightly - hip extension - but you only contract briefly. Relax the contraction, while still holding the stretch, the upper thigh will move back, forward a little, and repeat the contraction 20 times. Then do the other leg

When I've been sitting a while and I do this move, straight after, my lower back feels all relaxed and nice and my glutes take over an do all the work when I stand or bend over. Where I normally might have my lower back feel all tensed and strained. Everyone can benefit from this move as we all sit quite a bit...

Works great before a squat and deadlift session to get the glutes firing

also something I noticed the today and day before - there is a definite connection between the obliques and the lower back. My whole oblique is sore to the touch, trigger points etc, and every time I massage it with my hands or do self myofascial release work with a tennis ball against the wall my lower back feels nice and loose.

I constantly get sore in my upper back right between my shoulder blades. I don't know if I'm pulling a muscle or pinching a nerve. But it is horrifically painful. I'd love to know if anyone knows a common lift that would be causing it similar to the OP and lower back pain.

Roofus said:
I constantly get sore in my upper back right between my shoulder blades. I don't know if I'm pulling a muscle or pinching a nerve. But it is horrifically painful. I'd love to know if anyone knows a common lift that would be causing it similar to the OP and lower back pain.

Sounds like your lower traps. It's probably balled up and tight, along with trigger points

read and apply - anyone who trains needs to be doing this every week!

CoolColJ wrote:
something that need stressing - make sure your doing foam rolling and self myofascial tissue work with tennis/golf ball, or small balls ( yes even a mini BBall pumped tight works great) or other objects like the corner of a bench top...

On your off days to keep scar tissue and adhesion build up to a minimum and keep your fascia nice and loose so your body works properly and is in alignment.
It will greatly reduce damage from jumping and training, and keep jumpers knee at bay.... I speak from personal experience :)
And allow you to squat way deeper without your lower back tucking under in an oly full squat. Loosen up the glutes with a tennis ball against the wall until all painful trigger points are gone etc

Even shoulder pain too...

Start from the bottom of the feet and work up.

background info
http://laurensfitness.com/2008/03/06/fascia-part-1-an-important-piece-of-the-pain-puzzle/

articles
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=475832
http://laurensfitness.com/2008/02/24/tennis-ball-part-1-a-tool-you-never-knew-you-had/

vids
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stEfs08PvIk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT7QMW6Qebs

the foam roller helps for the lower body, but if you read the articles, the tennis ball is even better for the upper body and bottom of the foot :)
Tennis ball against the wall is also awesome for the glutes and hips, TFL etc
All problems start from the foot, so start rolling out the foot arch with a tennis ball or golf ball, if the tennis ball isn't doing much. I also use a hard 21x3 inch cardboard roll, since the foam roller eventually doesn't do much when you get looser. A PVC pipe does the job too.

And I also use small Mini BBalls pumped up tight. I have one the size of a volleyball that works great on the VMO and adductor area. The small size works better there, foam rollers tend to get in the way. Applies enough pressure to bring tears to my eyes!

Anyway you will find trigger points all over your body. Once they go away, you will be so loose, it's not funny! And feel stronger too! The moderate weights at one stage started to feel scary heavy on my back, on squats. I think the CNS was shutting down the muscles because everything was so tight, scar tissue filled and jammed up. Now it feels good.

My upper body got a whole lot stronger and more stable after I started the tissue work. No surprise, because ART does the same kind of thing, but better, and people regain and improve strength.

also foam rolling will work the crap out of your core and upper body support muscles like the serratus anterior :)
I was so sore in spinal erectors and ribcage msucles at one stage I had to take pain killers to sleep...

coolcolj said:
Sounds like your lower traps. It's probably balled up and tight, along with trigger points

read and apply - anyone who trains needs to be doing this every week!

Is that your blog?

So I can say that the tennis ball thing on my traps hurt like shit. But that being said, it gave me more relief than I've had all day. Which is very nice. Hard to do the neck with the ball. From the videos I can see how a foam roller would be much easier. I'll check the storage room at my gym tomorrow to see if they have one.

I'm just quoting some of my old posts :)

You can use a small ball against the wall, or fingers, but yeah a foam roller wedges well into the neck. The foam roller is more a general large area device. The smaller the object the more intense and concentrated the release

the more it hurts, means the tighter the muscle/fascia is, and the more knoted up it is. If its really tight the whole thing will hurt, but the more you do it, eventually it won't hurt so much and then you will find specific trigger points within the muscle you can target. Once your all loose, it would hurt much, but I would still do it once a week to keep things in check. These problems develop overtime from "abuse" and training.

hot water bath w epsom salt r terrific for back pain, overall soreness and stiffness done at least 2x week! warm-ups like a little cardio and very LIGHT static and active stretching helping the sinuvial fluids to the it's job. Lack of these and structural strength inbalances are the fastest ticket to back injuries. Checking your ego at gym door is also a good idea.

NOTHING LIKE A GOOD WORKOUT!!!

Thanks Stilleto. The flexors have been contracted and perma-sore for at least 3 months now... too much quad, not enough hams which lead to a strained popliteus when i started running....geez. I'll try this every day for a month, see how it goes.

Top Bottom