Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Pet Peeves In The Gym

Little lads strapping on belt, wrist wraps, elbow wraps, gloves, just to do a 150lb bench. I wanna ask why they don't have a squat suit on as well :p

Oh and the other day there was a lass on the bench machine reading a magazine WHILE doing her set!?!?!??

WHY don't most girls think that lifting properly will turn them into a musclebound freak?? Some of the most amazing bodied girls i know follow standard powerlifting routines.

i'd have to agree 1/2 reps, it shouldnt really bother me - i should just laugh at them, but sometimes it really gets to me. One day a couple of friends of my brothers were at the gym, thinking they were the biggest badasses on the planet (bench pressing only dropping the bar 6-8 inches), as i knew them i advised them on their tecnique and said they would be better off having less weight and a better range of movement. They both agreed with me and promptly left. 6 months later they return to the gym, doing the same thing... Thats the last time... Never again.

Awes0me said:
i'd have to agree 1/2 reps, it shouldnt really bother me - i should just laugh at them, but sometimes it really gets to me. One day a couple of friends of my brothers were at the gym, thinking they were the biggest badasses on the planet (bench pressing only dropping the bar 6-8 inches), as i knew them i advised them on their tecnique and said they would be better off having less weight and a better range of movement. They both agreed with me and promptly left. 6 months later they return to the gym, doing the same thing... Thats the last time... Never again.

I've gone up to young teenagers that I easily have 80-100lbs of mass on, and very nicely offered some advice on form, and in return gotten a snotty "Thanks, but I think I know what I'm doing"....Back when i started I would have given anything to get advice from some big ass bodybuilders, and no way in hell would I tell one off whos arms were bigger than my legs

Yea, I HATE people doing half benches or whatever. For some reason, it really bothers me.

On a little different note, I bet a lot of people look at me like an idiot when I do lockouts lol.

-sk

you guys are forgetting about all the fat people who just do the same thing in the gym what they do at home.. sit on their fatasses on the machine that you need to use and after 10 minutes they might decide to do a rep of 10 with the lightest weightl... then just sit there, stare at the ceiling for like another 10 minutes and pull another rep and again just sit there then get up and take a sit on another machine..

all I ever see them do is sit in the gym, I've never seen them do anything that would benefit their fat loss

makes me wonder why they even go to the gym...

Ugh...half-reps. Here's my rant:

I saw a guy doing quarter or third reps just yesterday. Over the course of years I've never seen him do a full rep on anything, ever. His routine this Sat. looked something like this:

Bench presses with 225, lower about 4", then press back up. Repeat for 3-4 sets of 6 reps. I guess 225 is his MMP, Minimum Macho Poundage *shrugs*

Hammer Iso-Inclines and Iso-Wides with a _whopping_ 140 lbs. (one 45 and one 25 per side...woooo, what a BEAST!), 3-4 sets each of 5 half-reps;

Hammer Iso-Pulls and Iso-Rows with the same weight, sets and reps;

Hammer Overhead Press with one wheel/side, more sets of partials.

I lost track of what he was doing at that point. I think he did some cable pulldowns and some PARTIAL CRUNCHES (I shit you not...how can you do a PARTIAL crunch?! But he did, LOL). Thankfully he was gone after that.

This guy's not very bright. I don't think he'd take kindly to someone asking him why he refuses to do full reps.

Besides, I don't think he likes me. About a year ago, back when I was doing HIT-style supersets for thighs occassionally, I made the mistake of asking him if I could work in on the leg press.

Ordinarily I never "work in," but my superset required no rest between leg extensions and the presses: I'd do the extensions to failure, followed up by two or three drop sets with a static hold at the end of each. Then, I'd run to leg presses for a straight set and forced reps.

He'd been doing shitty sets on my favorite LP machine for a good 15 minutes, and I was tired of waiting. I knew good and well what I planned to do would make me sick, so I wanted to get it done. Anxiety does not a happy Dukat make.

When asked if I could grab a quick set during one of his lengthy, wheezing breaks, he dimly nodded at my request. Still, he was probably mad that I'd interrupt his ten sets with 400 lb. quarter-reps. (Don't hog the equipment if you don't mean business, clod.)

So, after doing the triple-drop on leg extensions, I literally limped over to the leg press. I didn't want to do upwards of 50-75 reps, so my training partner and me threw 4 more plates on per side. I was pissed to be taking such a long rest (!); ordinarily I'd have no rest going into the press.

Anyway, I got maybe 10-12 with that, lowering my knees to my armpits and pausing at the bottom of each rep, then I did forced reps by pushing on my knees.

I had to go puke pretty badly after that.

I imagine Partials Man felt like I was poking fun at his totally shit training. No sirree. If I'd wanted to do that, I wouldn't blow my legs out on extensions first; I'd go at the leg press fresh, so we'd have to load it all the way up :)

You'd think that guy might get a clue, but he never did. I think he is mildly retarded...what he's doing is so far from practical, intelligent use of partials that I can come to no other conclusion.

You all have brought up good points, here's a few pet peeves of mine:

Not having adequate spotters when I squat heavy. I think I can squat 10-15% more if I'm surrounded by good spotters.

A spotter that's "touch happy" on bench - even after you tell them not to touch the bar.

A crowd of people sharing the benches, while the squat rack is collecting dust. Not really a pet peeve, because that leaves it open for us :).

Gyms that don't allow deadlifts. Sign says "no olympic weights on the floor".

Guys that never progress.

I used to squat in front of a mirror to check my form, and some fat slob would always get in the way to do dumbbell curls.

Lowering the weight in a squat, and seeing some jackass standing inches away from you. WTF??

Trying not to stare at the babes that just work the leg curl and abduction machines.

Changing those damn plates when you work in with a powerlifter. That can be a workout itself.

Trying not to stare at the babes that are on the treadmill.

Gyms with every damn kind of machine ever thought of, but only one power rack.

Guys that use the gym as a "nightclub" to pick up chicks.

BlkWS6 said:
Hmmm....

1) Talking on cell phones while lifting. I have seen a couple of guys actually curl with one arm and talk on the phone with the other

2) As others have stated: The 1/2 or 1/4 reps.

3) The "Under Armor" assualt. Wow if I see another guy who weighs a 140lbs wearing Under Armor gear that looks like spray on latex I'm going to die. I'm really not some gym workout clothes nazi but these things look like freaking wet suits.

From now on I am coming to the gym everyday wearing Under Armor and I am going to talk on my cellphone.

Anyways, a few of mine:

1) people who get dressed up like they are going clubing to lift.
2) people who ask for advice and then get mad at you because you told them they are lifting wrong
3) people who do 15 sets, with each set past failure
4) people who are working out by themselves and get mad when you ask to work in for 1 set.

- ppl doing barbell curls standing up and arch their back and jerk the weight up because they are doing too much.

- some kid putting way too much on the shrug machine and lifting it 1/2 the way and afterwards walking away like he was the hulk.

- people weighing themselves more than once in a single workout

- people lifting up their shirts and checking out their abs in the mirror in the middle of the gym. <--save it for home asshole. no one here wants to see your beer gut.

athlete0185 said:
- people lifting up their shirts and checking out their abs in the mirror in the middle of the gym. <--save it for home asshole. no one here wants to see your beer gut.

I saw this today. I think. Is there any reason in the world for someone to pull his tee shirt front up over his head (leaving the back down) while he is doing ez-bar shoulder presses?

If so, I have to tell you that is one of the goofiest things I've seen.

Top Bottom