Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How long do strongmen competitors live?

Creepusmaximus said:
Bingo, not many tall or big 80+ year olds wondering around. To me it lookes like 5'7" 130-140 is where you have the best chance at living a long time. On the other hand I really don't see a reason to live to 100. Your test is gone so you lose your motivation to do much of anything and most likely all your friends are dead. I guess take up gardening?
That's what my grandpa does and he's 89.

How many big, old people do you see walking around?

Well there are many reasons for that.

1. First of all each generation of people get bigger on average. Average height a couple hundred years ago was about 4 inches or more lower then today.

2. Weight lifting wasn't popluar with the masses till just about the 1980's, Along with steriod use etc..

3. As people get older, they shrink in height and lose muscle mass. When you hit 80+, you aren't going to have much muscle mass left.

As far as strong man competitors go, its not their size as much as the insane amount of drugs they use(anabolics), that will shorten their life. Some of them have glandular problems like hyperactive pituitary glands etc., like Andre the Giant had. This will also shorten their lifespan. A weak heart can pump blodd easier through a 150 lb body rather then a 350 lb body. A lot of the strongmen also have diets that are focused on HUGE caloric intake, with no regards to health. They want to be as big as they can be, mass=strength.

Don't get me wrong, bulking has it's place, beginners, pro bb's, those attaining personal bests in specific lifts, etc. But as I approach 40, weight is weight on the joints, the knees and back don't care if it's muscle or fat-they still have to tote the weight. I just look at the studies on animals as well, those that are undernurished live longer than those that are free to eat all they want. Trust me I'm not trying to be some pencil neck vegan, just looking at the big picture and the long haul.

Hard to say as the modern incarnation of strongman and the Worlds Strongest Man competition is only about 20 year old. Making the original competitors in their forties and fifties. This question won't be truly answered for another 30 or so years.

And not all competitors carry high bodyfat either.

Cheers,
Scotsman

Maybe they catch pneumonia from that draft up the kilt more often than most non-strongman people do....

While there are a lot of factors, i'd be the average life expectancy for a strongman is shorter than a regular person.

Micker said:
Well there are many reasons for that.

1. First of all each generation of people get bigger on average. Average height a couple hundred years ago was about 4 inches or more lower then today.

You may be right about growing taller, but each generation grows frailer and weaker through the years. Humans cranial head capacity is growing larger, and brains are becoming larger & more intelligent, while each generation is getting NATURALLY weaker. Of course with the advancement of weight training, most humans of the 21st century are still much stronger than their 10th century counterparts, but in a natural sense without weightlifting, this would not be the case.

Top Bottom