Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Finally did Front Squats

CONTRACTION

Well, yesterday was my Quads/Calves day and I decided to give front squats a try. It was actually easier than I expected and I got the hang of it fairly quick. Each set was easier and easier. It was basically "practice". I did about 5 sets with 135lbs just to get the feel, then I went into 5 sets of regular back squats with my normal poundages 275, 295 315, 335.

Anyway, I am determined to get better at it! They are actually fun, I guess due to the challenge.

Two things I noted:
1) You have to concentrate hard throughout your set, primarily focusing on form.
2) Keep that bar where it's supposed to be. That means keeping those elbows high and not tilting your body forward.

Anyone else love front squats? Any advice?

Sh*t yeah. I love front squats, especially since I switched from the cossack to the clean grip. It DOES take a lot of focus, and wipes you out.

You REALLY want a challenge? Overhead squats. Start LIGHT on these; I do less than half my back squat on them. Some people start with the bar racked high and squat low, like the second phase of the snatch while they unrack. I prefer to clean and jerk the bar up.

Seriously, these need to be done SO slowly, with SO much focus; after two sets you'll feel like you've just fought a battle. Give them a shot. If deads don't make you feel like puking anymore, these just might. :D

Ive seen those before! The owner of a gym that I went to a while ago used to be a powerlifter and he would do those regularly and show the local high school football players how to do them. Whewww! They look painful!! Maybe I'll give them a try one day when I'm feeling crazy. :p

C - I've thougt about trying front squats, but they look even tougher on your back. Did you feel anything like that when you did them?

I didnt feel much pressure in my back at all. Like I said, my weight that I experimented with was pretty light. I dont think many people go too heavy on front squats either. It doesnt take much weight to feel it in your quads.

The only pain/discomfort I felt was in my front delts which is where the bar rests. Ouch! They are sore today!

i started doing front squats about 2 years ago after seeing those old workout pics of dave draper and arnold doing them. They have really helped develop the lower part of my quad since doing them. believe me doing front squats is like having a near death expierance. That is one exercise that feels like your soul just got ripped out of your body.

front squats rock. really a shocker on the body due to the amount of abdominal involvement. i back squat a bit different than i front squat so when i switched to them....whew. i narrow up my stance a bit, get the bar balanced and go to town. i find i can almost go to failure, but its actually full body failure vs. legs quitting. maybe its me, but it taxes my body more than back squats. new movement i guess.

Front squats have been my primary quad movement for about 6 months now, and they are on of the most productive leg exercises I have ever done.I have noticed alot of leg development from these and they are very easy on the back.

I just started doing front squats again, after about a 3 year layoff. I gotta say, I love this movement, the quad and ab work is phenominal. I actually prefer them to back squats for both quad and power development. An excellent overall movement.

Top Bottom