Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

exposing the myth that weightlifting stunts your growth

One thing more that doing pushups during early teens also can hinder with your natural growth, this is also, I think, should be a myth. is it?

100% myth unless you hurt your growth plates which is almost impossible.. if you paid me 1M i wouldn't be able to purposely hurt my growth plates doing pushups

the person who told you that probably doesn't work out and just wants you to look like shit too so they feel better about themselves and/or are very ignorant on fitness

Last edited:
From Wikipedia article
Epiphyseal plate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"In puberty increasing levels of estrogen, in both females and males, leads to increased apoptosis of chondrocytes in the epiphyseal plate. Depletion of chondrocytes due to apoptosis leads to less ossification and growth slows down and later stops when the entire cartilage have become replaced by bone, leaving only a thin epiphyseal scar which later disappears."

apoptosis = cell death

The timing of estrogen level peaks coincides with when growth stops during puberty. The amount of estrogen between men and women is inconsequential, but men and women do stop growing at slightly different ages due to differences in hormones. Timing of bone plate ossification stops growth and is one of the genetic factors you speak of, but there are a variety of hormonal signals which determine growth speed and contribute substantially to height. This is a well studied phenomena, feel free to research it.

However, I am not saying that weightlifting stunts your growth. I am saying that there is a scientifically documented mechanism which could account for stunted growth via increased estrogen levels.

Again, it appears that the jury is still out as to whether weightlifting stunts growth. Steroids certainly do. I am surprised that the creator of this video did not address any of these concerns.

From Wikipedia article
Epiphyseal plate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"In puberty increasing levels of estrogen, in both females and males, leads to increased apoptosis of chondrocytes in the epiphyseal plate. Depletion of chondrocytes due to apoptosis leads to less ossification and growth slows down and later stops when the entire cartilage have become replaced by bone, leaving only a thin epiphyseal scar which later disappears."

apoptosis = cell death

The timing of estrogen level peaks coincides with when growth stops during puberty. The amount of estrogen between men and women is inconsequential, but men and women do stop growing at slightly different ages due to differences in hormones. Timing of bone plate ossification stops growth and is one of the genetic factors you speak of, but there are a variety of hormonal signals which determine growth speed and contribute substantially to height. This is a well studied phenomena, feel free to research it.

However, I am not saying that weightlifting stunts your growth. I am saying that there is a scientifically documented mechanism which could account for stunted growth via increased estrogen levels.

Again, it appears that the jury is still out as to whether weightlifting stunts growth. Steroids certainly do. I am surprised that the creator of this video did not address any of these concerns.

What you would have to show, is that weightlifting increases estrogen, (?) or, that weightlifting increases testosterone (easy), and that testosterone increase leads to an estrogen increase. (don't know about that one).

I thinkits a sketchy assumption that a moderate testosterone boost automatically leads to more aromatazation,

Top Bottom