Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Where to Bench?

LeanTeen

Which makes for a better workout? Benching on the "benching bench" with just the bar or benching on the "squat machine"? where the bar is attatched and you can go for really smooth reps. For some reason I can go way heavier on the "squat machine" Feedback is desperately wanted.

Freeweights!Freeweights!! Lol j/k
Anyways see what works better for you.
Freeweight bench uses your stabilizer muscles and works best for me overall but Smith machine bench is also decent since every rep is at a consistent angle.
Use both and choose whichever feels good.
Or you could use both to vary your routine.

LeanTeen said:
Which makes for a better workout? Benching on the "benching bench" with just the bar or benching on the "squat machine"? where the bar is attatched and you can go for really smooth reps. For some reason I can go way heavier on the "squat machine" Feedback is desperately wanted.

the smith machine was designed as a safe means of doing UPPER BODY work. as a "squat machine" it sucks. noone can say that the bar travels straight up and straight down when they squat....so why would that be the ideal machine for such a movement?

as for your actual question. go with freeweight unless you dont have a spotter and need the added safety. but realize that your stabilizer muscles arent being taxes as much nor is your coordination being developed fully either.

If you dont have a spotter, just use dumbells on a normal bench.
When you use the "squat machine" the weight you are using is a "fake" weight. you dont have to use all your stabilizers...so the exercise becomes easier.
It is said that you can cause an injury by using the smith machine (thats what im guessing it is). Something to do with sholders operating on planes it doesnt naturaly. after time it will cause problems.

to really challenge your stabilizers try dumbells on a swiss ball....that'll kill ya.

what are stabilizers for? a friend if mine swears by the smith machine....thats all he benchs on. he came over to my house to have a work out. This was the first time he had ever done a free weight bench. He stared with a weight about 3/4 of what he uses normally to startwith...... shit man he almost killd himself almost tore his muscles.........he couldnt keep the bar from swaying back a forward almost droped the bar on me.

Top Bottom